What Disappointing Steaks

LMichaels

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
We were sent a gift box of Omaha Steaks. I'm gonna tell ya right now. Don't bother gifting these things to anyone. Outrageously expensive and the quality? Totally disappointing.
Maybe hard to see in the photos. These are "supposed" to be ribeyes. Ok, I'll give them that...............maybe. They go on about how the quality if so outstanding. Look at the amount of gristle, silver skin and the poor butchering. Omaha advertises how tender? Like I said perhaps difficult to make out in the photos but, the meat has been run through some kind of machine. The fibers are all torn. The steaks literally feel like they've been "shredded". I am going to write to them because the friend that sent them I am sure spent a fortune. How sad. I would not even call them up to "select" grade let alone "choice". Just shameful.

20230326_161816.jpg20230326_161832.jpg20230326_161835.jpg20230326_161840.jpg20230326_161845.jpg

We've had Omaha steaks sent to us and I agree that the quality doesn't justify the price. We have had better luck with Kansas City Steaks, and we have sent them to friends as thank you gifts. The friends we have sent them to are not really "steak connoisseurs", but at least the KC steaks are better than what we had at their house!

Gerry

It's been many, many years since I bought Omaha Steaks. I was not impressed with the value proposition and never bought them again.

Mail order steaks are always going to be expensive, here are some great ones...but IMHO you're always better off finding a good local butcher with quality meat.

It's been many, many years since I bought Omaha Steaks. I was not impressed with the value proposition and never bought again.

Mail order steaks are always going to be expensive, here are some great ones...but IMHO you're always better off finding a good local butcher with quality meat.
Absolutely. However, that's not always possible when sending a thank you gift to someone. With mail order, you roll the dice...

Gerry

I like many others here I am sure can eye up a quality steak in the showcase…..these don’t even look like rib steaks…..
probably could have better meals just doing pepper stout beef with those….sorry for your experience.

My experiences with Omaha steaks have been the same, very poor quality. Never again, the best part of the whole experience was the Styrofoam cooler it came in, I kept that for letting meats rest after cooking.

It's been many, many years since I bought Omaha Steaks. I was not impressed with the value proposition and never bought them again.

I’d humbly add these guys to your list: https://lafrieda.com/

EDIT: Clearly I missed your last link there. Feel free to delete my post.

I gotta say after carefully grilling those "steaks' they were as disappointing to eat as they were to look at. What a total shame. Even though they were clearly "mechanically altered" for texture they were tough, stringy, tasteless. What a total sham on the public. And I feel even more badly as they were gifts. I would feel less badly if I had bought them myself

Chicago steak company is no better, I too continue to receive steak packages as a gift & continue to be disappointed.

We've never spent any money with Omaha Steaks. My oldest sister did send us a pack of 4 filet mignons. We figured that we got nearly as good with Costco meats. Omaha Steaks took a couple of years to stop sending us promo flyers.

We've never spent any money with Omaha Steaks. My oldest sister did send us a pack of 4 filet mignons. We figured that we got nearly as good with Costco meats. Omaha Steaks took a couple of years to stop sending us promo flyers.
Nearly as good? I'll take meat from Costco any day of the week over what I just fixed last night. Even though the meat was obviously mechanically altered it was still tough as nails, so much gristle, tasteless.

Nearly as good? I'll take meat from Costco any day of the week over what I just fixed last night. Even though the meat was obviously mechanically altered it was still tough as nails, so much gristle, tasteless.
Heck, stuff from the “dog food“ section is far superior to Omaha snakes! I will admit they have one incredible marketing department, crap beef (or horsemeat) but great marketing!

I've only had the 1 package, so, yeah, my mileage is limited. Pretty much what I'd expect from prime filet mignon. Very little marbling, pretty tender. I do tend to like mine cut a little thinner, though, these were better than 2" thick.

These were gifts to me from a friend. Many people fall for the marketing hype. I would never buy them or give them.
My wife orders meat off of TV all the time for some stupid reason. I've got $300 of 5 oz filet mignons in the freezer. They're not bad.... But she thinks oh they'll be there when ahe want to cook a quick little steak.... And then after a year they get thrown away.

I'm not a fan of blade tenderizing. It's potentially dangerous. It's ok on something like cube steak and cuts you are going to cook the heck out of. Those look more like NY Strips to me. I know the ribeye turns into strips somewhere down the loin so it's a judgement call maybe in some cases.

My wife orders meat off of TV all the time for some stupid reason.
As a rule...... I won't order anything for delivery that's required to be temperature controlled, as I don't trust any of the delivery services to have the climate controls that I consider necessary. Yes, I know.... my g/f & I both have meds that get filled mail order, and that's been..... okay. Those do arrive chilled.

Back