What are your top 3 or 4 BBQ sides?

It depends on what's in season (all grilled, of course): corn on the cob, cauliflower steaks, broccolini, green beans in oyster sauce, or brussels sprouts.

(Sometimes my wife will make her family recipe baked beans, but it takes 24+ hours to cook so I have to remember to coordinate with her ahead of time. That rarely happens!)

I'm getting some good ideas from this thread, however.

For grilling things like steaks and chops, my wife likes her zucchini and eggplant grilled along with them. We also enjoy split and broiled Brussels sprouts, seasoned with EVOO, S&P, bacon bits, and some kind of cheese (think Feta, blue cheese, Parm, etc.).

Of course, cole slaws are a favorite. I'm more partial to the apple cider vinegar based slaws. They're easy to make and vinegar based slaw is less likely to get someone sick than a mayo based slaw, when doing those outdoor parties like we do our block parties, where food can get warm.

I'm really lazy when it comes to cooking sides. I like to make what I call a side meat. Usually that means sausage. However, as far as actual sides go, German style potato salad is high on that list. Mac and Cheese is always great. Sometimes my wife makes a loaded potato salad. I love that as well. Cole slaw depending what my main meat is. Gotta have some slaw with pulled pork.

Get a big pickle/olive jar. Eat the stuff inside and wash it out. Fill the jar 3/4 with warm water and a bit of butter floating on top to melt. Dip each ear of corn in. As it comes out, the butter will perfectly coat everything.

I'm really lazy when it comes to cooking sides. I like to make what I call a side meat. Usually that means sausage. However, as far as actual sides go, German style potato salad is high on that list. Mac and Cheese is always great. Sometimes my wife makes a loaded potato salad. I love that as well. Cole slaw depending what my main meat is. Gotta have some slaw with pulled pork.
That's a big thumbs up for side meat! I like the way you roll!!!

Almost seems too watery...? I’ll have to try that
This is an old fair trick, keep a kettle of water warm and float a lb. of butter on top. A quick dip of the cob and off the customer goes. Add butter as necessary. I did this a couple of years ago for a backyard barbecue (30 people?) and it worked awfully well.

Smoked tater salad, only thing is if you have a lot of smoked food you might not notice the smoke flavor as much if not having smoked meats. you can get to much smoke on them and everybody is different on tastes, start low and move up the scale.

Really been digging the corn on the cob lately on the Smokefire. 400F, 15 min, done to perfection. Seems like the higher heat brings out a little more sweetness, to the point that I don't add any more butter. I rub them in butter, salt and fresh ground black pepper prior to cooking. Although out of season in our area now, I was still able to find some in the grocery store that was pretty good.

One of all time favorite side dishes is cabbage, quartered then individually wrapped in foil with a heavy pat of butter and seasoned with Tony Chacere’s Creole and Cajun spice…..perfect with any protein.

Anytime I invite the family over for BBQ, I make sure to do the Keri's Baked Beans. Anything else is a bonus.

What is drippan? :unsure:
Maybe Anne is talking about cooking veggies in a drip pan under the "meat". I've done this a few times, mostly with root vegetables and brussel sprouts that tend to do well in long cooks. I've done beer can chicken inside a 10" or 12" Cast Iron pan with potatoes and other veg in the pan sort of basting in the chicken drippings and it's really yummy.

Back