What are your top 3 or 4 BBQ sides?

I do what everyone else posted but there was a couple items new to me that I’m going to try.
The carrots and potato ideas sound great.

We have close access to fish/shellfish so there is often a large bowl of ceviche, an oyster tray or something like that.
I also save the end cuts of smoked pork belly to add into cooked veggie, beans or whatever.

My favorite side would have to be cole slaw.
It just goes great with about any bbq.

Maybe Anne is talking about cooking veggies in a drip pan under the "meat". I've done this a few times, mostly with root vegetables and brussel sprouts that tend to do well in long cooks. I've done beer can chicken inside a 10" or 12" Cast Iron pan with potatoes and other veg in the pan sort of basting in the chicken drippings and it's really yummy.
I thought about that, but since she's on another continent, i was hoping for something a little more exotic. ;):D

(But I do agree that those things you mentioned are wonderful.)

Last edited:
I do what everyone else posted but there was a couple items new to me that I’m going to try.
The carrots and potato ideas sound great.

We have close access to fish/shellfish so there is often a large bowl of ceviche, an oyster tray or something like that.
I also save the end cuts of smoked pork belly to add into cooked veggie, beans or whatever.

My favorite side would have to be cole slaw.
It just goes great with about any bbq.
I love a nice bowl of ceviche. I'm really itching to get out from the middle of the country and out to the coast sometime soon! My first experience with ceviche was actually in Mexico several years ago and I've not had anything that really compares since.

I thought about that, but since she's on another continent, i was hoping for something a little more exotic. ;):D

(But I do agree that those things you mentioned are wonderful.)
Sorry to disappoint you ;)
Potatoes, onions, butternut, garlic in a pot or tray under the (marinated) meat to collect drippings

Sorry to disappoint you ;)
Potatoes, onions, butternut, garlic in a pot or tray under the (marinated) meat to collect drippings
<scratches head> I just love a pan of beans smoked under a brisket, but I've also had a really bad experience with that. There was enough fat that dripped down that the liquid in the beans never reduced, and oddly enough, the beans never cooked fully. The pan was really not edible.

And mushrooms & onions!

Attachments

• 2919B399-0928-45B3-8CBD-FF7FFEF34309.jpeg
    2919B399-0928-45B3-8CBD-FF7FFEF34309.jpeg
    198.3 KB · Views: 7
  • 4F86BD1B-C065-4273-A594-619A5DFC6544.jpeg
    4F86BD1B-C065-4273-A594-619A5DFC6544.jpeg
    165.3 KB · Views: 7
John, a few of our favorite sides are already posted here. Like:

Grilled Corn in the Style of Oaxaca
Blue Cheese Coleslaw
Baked Mac & Cheese
Great thread! My favorites are home fries, corn bread and pinto beans (I make my beans in all sorts of ways but always include bacon).

Joan, I have to try the blue cheese coleslaw. I was going to ask for the recipe but searched and see you have previously posted it. Cannot wait to try this one. I am hitting the grocery store in the morning for ingredients :)

Andy, I am soo happy to hear that. That is one of DH's favorite coleslaw recipe.

What a coincidence that you mention corn bread. I have been working on my corn bread recipes today. I thing I have over 30 recipes for corn bread. Having a hard time trying to decide which ones to keep and which ones to throw away. They all sound so good.

Back