What are your top 3 or 4 BBQ sides?

John K BBQ

TVWBB All-Star
I'd been several weeks since I've made any BBQ - I'm sort of a wimp when it comes to cold weather outdoor cooking. I tend to stay inside and soup, stew, chili and pasta dishes the winter, but I think this weekend I'm going to man up and smoke a pork butt, which brings me to sides....

My favorites are (in this order) baked beans, cole slaw, and texas taters. Baked potatoes, potato salad, and corn are honorable mentions for me. I consider most of these "classic sides" I had lunch at Smokey Mo's in Arnold MO earlier this week, and was sort of impressed by the other sides they had ((broccoli casserole, and collard greens), but did not partake . I had beans and slaw, both of which were OK, but not great. I like my beans with some meat in them, and more on the savory/spicy side, less sweet. I like my slaw dressed lightly, either mayo or vinegar based works for me, and I've never had a bad tater in my life. Taters with cheese sauce and crunchy cornflake topping probably came from heaven if you ask me. My good buddies' wife Tiffany makes em' the best.

What are your favorite BBQ sides, and why do you like them? Are there any "non-traditionals" that have become your favorite?

Mac and cheese. The recipe out of Weber’s cookbook is a knockout hit. Baked beans, and tater tots. I have a list about a mile long of stuff to try. The Mac and cheese is my go to.

I especially like all the sides mentioned above, too, but lately it’s been Greek salad that’s been my top favorite. I love all the fresh vegetables in it, plus the olives and banana peppers along with the olive oil and red wine vinegar do a great job cutting through the richness of bbq meats, especially brisket point and pork butt.

Pork. Cole slaw, Mac n cheese.

https://tvwbb.com/threads/30-min-mac-n-cheese.88442/

20210905_190750-jpg.36565

John, a few of our favorite sides are already posted here. Like:

Grilled Corn in the Style of Oaxaca
Blue Cheese Coleslaw
Baked Mac & Cheese

John, this is also one of our favorite sides, (also posted here). DH has made it also with zucchini and both ways taste just as good.

Squash Fritters

1/3 cup biscuit mix
1/4 cup grated Parmesan or shredded Cheddar cheese
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
2 eggs, slightly beaten
2 cups grated raw yellow squash
2 to 4 TB. butter

Combine all ingredients except butter, blending well. Melt butter in skillet over medium heat. Drop batter by tablespoonfuls into skillet. Cook fritters 2 to 3 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Yield: 6 to 8 servings.

Source: Southern Living Dinner & Supper Cookbook - 1977

Report Edit

Barb is the side person when we are grilling. She makes a killer Mac salad, coleslaw, potato salad but my favorite is her corn on the bone grilled with one of her butter recipes, I could eat that with every meal.

Well..... best laid plans as they say. I was hoping for BBQ but my wifey wants smokey pulled pork Tex Mex style and made into home made burrito bowls. My beans, slaw and texas taters will have to wait for another weekend. Tonight, we grilled up some steaks for the first time in a while. I will post pics in a different thread tomorrow! Thanks for sharing your sides with me. Keep em' coming!

I'd been several weeks since I've made any BBQ - I'm sort of a wimp when it comes to cold weather outdoor cooking. I tend to stay inside and soup, stew, chili and pasta dishes the winter, but I think this weekend I'm going to man up and smoke a pork butt, which brings me to sides....

My favorites are (in this order) baked beans, cole slaw, and texas taters. Baked potatoes, potato salad, and corn are honorable mentions for me. I consider most of these "classic sides" I had lunch at Smokey Mo's in Arnold MO earlier this week, and was sort of impressed by the other sides they had ((broccoli casserole, and collard greens), but did not partake . I had beans and slaw, both of which were OK, but not great. I like my beans with some meat in them, and more on the savory/spicy side, less sweet. I like my slaw dressed lightly, either mayo or vinegar based works for me, and I've never had a bad tater in my life. Taters with cheese sauce and crunchy cornflake topping probably came from heaven if you ask me. My good buddies' wife Tiffany makes em' the best.

What are your favorite BBQ sides, and why do you like them? Are there any "non-traditionals" that have become your favorite?
Tater Tots, Hash brown patties, baked potatoes, bbq beans, and corn on the cob.

My all time favorite side is collard greens. Simmered in a small amount of chicken stock, with a diced onion. If ribs are on the menu I really like trimming up a rack of spares to St Louis and cooking the flap meat and rib tips and than adding to the greens while the ribs are finishing up.

No sir. I do have that New American BBQ book but haven’t tried anything from it yet.

The recipe is Mac And Cheese With Ham and Poblano, pg. 280 of “Weber’s Greatest Hits”. I’ve made it both with ham and poblanos, and without. The kids prefer without either and they’re both delicious. Made a pan of each for thanksgiving and there was a TON leftover.

Back