What are you cooking on Labor Day weekend?

I went small. Redneck caviar, smoked meatloaf, red beans and rice. Crazy how good that Redneck caviar is. Easy to make,

Packer brisket, pork butt, macaroni & cheese and baked beans, all in the smoker.

I should have taken pictures... this is probably the best brisket I've turned out yet, I managed to finally take it out of the smoker while it still had a little texture in it.

Deb really wanted pulled pork, and a buddy of mine wanted brisket, I did pick up smaller packages this go-round. I must have done something right, I made hash for breakfast with the left over brisket & pork, and the only stuff left is a little mac & cheese, and beans. I don't think I ever managed to figure quantities quite so well.

I didn't manage to grill or smoke anything yesterday. I cooked a couple of filet minons kind of "Gordon Ramsey" style in cast iron basting in butter. They turned out great. I got a monster sear. Hopefully my wife isn't spoiled by that and will still eat my grilled ones.

Well, everything there looks great folks! I failed to mention the 20 ears of corn I did on the gasser. Doing some MORE remodeling, new back wall to replace French doors, feeding the crew lunches through it, today will be brisket chili!wer and lousy weather but, there’s work to be done inside as well and the outside is mostly “tinned” so, little slowdown in progress, yay! Now if we can make the numbers work for the deck, I will be almost done polishing this turd!

Everything looks great! I love the chicken done in the vortex I have never done that, what are the details on that setup/cook?

Thanks! I had the bird sitting on a beer can holder (without beer) and I flipped the vortex upside down with the bird in the middle on a drip pan. A full chimney spread around the vortex and she was done in about two and a half hours. Butter and some champion chicken rub for flavor. Might try it again next time with some pecan chunks.

I smoked a Brisket, possibly my best cook ever. I owe it to this site, my BBQ skills improved beyond words by being a member here. Thanks Chris!

Chuck, first time I watched it, I watched you, 2nd and 3rd time, I watched your cute little doggie. Then, a few more times to see you cutting up that delicious piece of meat. Thanks for both reasons to watch. lol

Our Labor Day Lunch in Costa Rica was: Salmon Asado, Papas Asado y Tomates Asado con Queso. My Weber Performer Deluxe fitted with a SlowNSear Plus and DripNGriddle Pan performed like a "Weber Summit" this day and it was one tasty lunch.

Attachments

• IMG_0085.JPG
    IMG_0085.JPG
    158.9 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0092.JPG
    IMG_0092.JPG
    109.2 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0078.JPG
    IMG_0078.JPG
    202.8 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
We smoked chicken legs one day and ribs tacos then next. Embarrassingly, I forgot to take pics of the rib tacos. They were quite possibly some of the best tacos I've ever eaten.

IMG-1939.jpg IMG-1937.jpg

Back