Weber Firespice Cedar Planks

Richard Garcia

TVWBB All-Star
In grilling Salmon on these Cedar Planks; how many times can you re-use these Planks and are you happy with the results?

I don't re-use cedar planks. For one thing, you won't get anywhere near the amount of smoke as you would using a new plank. And another is that a previously used plank will be soaked with fish oil/fat and that can get rancid if you go a long time before re-using. I get my planks at Costco (best price I've found anywhere). They come in packs of 7. They are a seasonal item so best to stock up when they are back in the store (usually right before the unofficial start of grilling season aka Memorial Day Weekend)

I tried cedar planking once. Could not get past how the fish tasted like a piece of furniture

Whenever I read of planks on this impossibly perfect site I think of Robert McGee and the successes he shares from his cooks. I don't see him quite as often, lately, but I hope he sees your thread and offers his expertise.

I've started to use the planks, but changed to cheaper non Weber ones although the Weber are a little nicer, $20 for 12 vs $10 for 2. Just my opinion but while I like the smell they add to the fish i mostly like the way they absorb all the oil. I do wish they were a tad bigger.

I only use one one time.

I toast the board before putting on the fish.

Last edited:
I use mine once, agree with Brian that you just don’t get much smoke the second time. I break them up and use them for smoke wood with my salmon or chicken wings. I love the flavor it adds, such a tasty layer on top of a nice marinade. And while I haven’t found them super cheap, we only make it four or five times a year so it doesn’t really break the bank.

I flat out LOVE Cedar planked Salmon and Steelhead. The two best types of Salmon are King Salmon and Sockeye Salmon IMHO. Meatloaf on a plank is another of my favorites. It raises meatloaf to the gourmet level.

I try to buy Cedar planks when they are on sale and stock up. Costco starts their grill item sales early, so keep an eye out.

I soak the planks at least an hour before grilling. I use one full chimney of Kingsford Original spread evenly over the charcoal grill of one of my Performers. After the grill is up to heat, I put the plank food side down for two minutes to sterilize the plank. Then, I flip the plank, close the lid and wait until the plank is smoking (5-7 minutes). Then I put the rubbed fish skin side down, close the lid and grill just until you can flake the fish with the spatula.

My favorite rub is GFS's Trade East Salmon rub. This is "hands down" my chosen rub. Grill time on the plank varies from 7.5 minutes to 20 minutes depending on the thickness of the fish.

After grilling, I scraped the plank under running water and dry. It is helpful to store the used plank in a clean paper bag.
When grilling fish, I can get as many as three uses out of a plank. When doing meatloaf which can take over an hour, only one time use. I soak the used plank just like a new one (minimum of one hour).

Here are some cooks I had done in the past:

https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?58462-Salmon-on-a-plank-again!&highlight=Salmon+plank

BFletcher, thanks for the kind words.

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

I'll use a cedar plank for salmon many times before discarding it. For us, it keeps the fish moist and even in temperature (we cook to about 125°). We soak the plank (submerged) for 3 or 4 hours prior to the cook. If you use charcoal baskets on either side of a kettle, the heat stays far enough away from the plank that it won't catch fire. After the cook, we scrub the plank with scotchbrite. Never any problems with residue or smell. I think our current plank has at least 6 cooks on it, with just a small amount of char on the edge.

BTW, A salmon filet slathered with some dijon mustard, S&P, and a heavy sprinkle of brown sugar is terrific on the plank. A lighter Pinot Noir is a perfect pairing.

Jeff

I also use untreated cedar shakes and untreated cedar fence boards which can be cut to custom lengths. I never reuse them.

I was going to do a meatloaf for dinner one day this week! I have planks, mashed potatoes and your east coast salmon rub!
It was you that mentioned using that on pork steaks! Thanks Dale!
I usually use my baskets and do the meatloaf “crossways” so the ends of the plank smoke, might have to run one your method, there are lots of successes you’ve shared!

IMHO, the biggest challenge in grilling fish is to keep the fish moist. I would rather eat year-old microwaved fish sticks than dry grilled fish. The plank is an almost foolproof solution. Clean your plank after using and keep using it until it's gone.

Jeff

I just bought the two(2) Weber Cedar Plank Package for thirteen(13) Dollars and will give it a go. Thanx to all who replied!

I was going to do a meatloaf for dinner one day this week! I have planks, mashed potatoes and your east coast salmon rub!
It was you that mentioned using that on pork steaks! Thanks Dale!
I usually use my baskets and do the meatloaf “crossways” so the ends of the plank smoke, might have to run one your method, there are lots of successes you’ve shared!

Tim;
Happy to help out!

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

Back