Watch out...the EPA wants to "protect" pit masters...

Pork Steak Rebellion

Here's the gist of it:
There are concerns about “particulate emissions” you breathe when you stand over a gas grill; especially when grease hits the flames.
The EPA is funding a $15,000 University of California-Riverside study into the issue.
Researchers said the study could have global implications.
State Senator Eric Schmitt (R) Glendale, is urging people to barbecue this week to send the EPA a message.
“The idea that the EPA wants to find their way into our back yards, where we’re congregating with our neighbors, having a good time, on the 4th of July, barbecuing pork steak or hamburgers, is ridiculous and it’s emblematic of agency that’s sort of out of control,” Schmitt said.
He laughingly called on people to grill in their back yards this week as a sort of “peaceful protest”.

Link here.

This should be nationwide to send the EPA a message. If they are dumb or unlucky enough to step into my
back yard uninvited, they will be "reprimanded" by a bad *** bow wow. What the hell happened to " The Land of the Free"?

If they are dumb or unlucky enough to step into my
back yard uninvited, they will be "reprimanded" by a bad *** bow wow.
Same here Bob.

IMGP4979.JPG

I get that I'm " EPA certified " to install windows on remods on old buildings ( lead paint, hot caulk )
But com-on man, we aint burning tires in our backyards.:confused:

Tim

They saying "come and take it" comes to mind.

You'll have to pry the grills out of my dead hands to get me to change the exhaust output.

They should be more worried about off-gassing of chlorine from back yard swimming pools than some wood smoke.

Don't they have better things to worry about,like all the hot air in Washington ? That could cause a serious temperature inversion like in LA!

Although we have a "no politics" discussion policy, I'm leaving this thread active since it involves grilling/barbecuing. Please keep discussion focused on the news report and the issue at hand. Posts that stray beyond that may be deleted. Thanks for your cooperation.

---

I don't really have an opinion about this news report because I think it's much ado about nothing. Sounds like an academic exercise to me.

But just to frame the problem that drives these kinds of studies...Riverside County where the University of California-Riverside is located has some of the worst air pollution in the United States. I was born in Riverside in 1962 and spent most summers there until I was 18 years old. On the worst days, the smog was so bad that you could not see Box Springs Mountain just 3 miles from my grandparents house. My dad says that in the 1960s there were hair-brained schemes to bore holes in the mountains, install giant exhaust fans, and blow the smog out of the Los Angeles Basin. By 1968, the air pollution in Riverside was so bad that my parents moved our family to Northern California; they did not want to raise their kids under those conditions.

Air quality in Riverside has improved a lot since the 1960s thanks to cleaner gasoline, catalytic converters on cars, and controls on industrial emissions, but it's still pretty bad. From The Sun Desert newspaper, April 2014:

The air in Riverside County has grown markedly cleaner since the 1990s, but it still ranks among the worst in the nation for smog and particle pollution, the American Lung Association said in a report released Wednesday.

The report gave Riverside County “F” grades for both ozone and particle pollution, just as it did last year. The county ranked second, just behind San Bernardino County, in ozone pollution, and fourth in particle pollution, behind other California counties of Fresno, Kings and Kern.

The annual report detailed large groups considered at risk due to air pollution in Riverside County, including an estimated 54,000 children suffering from asthma and 145,000 adults with asthma in a total population of about 2.3 million.

“Because of the weather patterns in the Southern California region, the ozone tends to travel eastward across the basin, and does tend to settle in the San Bernardino and Riverside area,” said Bonnie Holmes-Gen, senior director of policy and advocacy for the American Lung Association in California. “These levels of pollution contribute to lung disease, contribute to hospitalizations and health emergencies, particularly for vulnerable populations, particularly for individuals with asthma, with other lung and heart ailments.”

So it's against this backdrop that people are trying to figure out how to improve air quality in Southern California. I'm not sure controlling gas grill emissions is the answer, but we need to keep doing research and working to improve the situation. Personally, I like to breathe my air, not chew it. :)

Back