Throwdown #16: Tri-Tip

russ, read this:

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by David
So, no Weber grill required?

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Chris Allingham
Highly recommended, not sure how you could possibly win without using one...but not required. :)

A Weber grill is not required to participate or to win. When I wrote, "not sure how you could possibly win without using one," I was making a funny.

All that matters are the official rules at the top of this thread...everything after that in the thread is just fun and joking:

http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?35860-Rules-for-a-Throwdown

The key is this line:

"The throwdown ingredient must be cooked using a grill or smoker fired by charcoal, wood, propane, or natural gas."

This means, for example, you can't bake a tri-tip (the throwdown ingredient) in the oven and put grilled veggies next to it on the plate and call that a valid entry. But you can grill a tri-tip and put oven-roasted veggies next to it on the plate and that is a valid entry.

Clear as mud? :)

Regards,
Chris

P.S. Do I have to do all the work around here and cook a tri-tip to get one posted on here? Sheesh. ;) Just joking...trying to be funny again.

Chris, and what are you better at?

[video=youtube;wguSXbUe2hw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=wguSXbUe2hw[/video]

:D

Chris, and what are you better at?

:D

LOL now that is funny!!! Stick to running the site Chris, you are way better at that!!!!

I post pics on here of cooks I have done on a nonWeber and I have never been bashed, flamed or anything like that on this site. This site is very civil compared to other sites that are very brand specific.

I post pics on here of cooks I have done on a nonWeber and I have never been bashed, flamed or anything like that on this site.
John, you could cook EVERYTHING on a barbed wired grill over willow tree wood and no one would bash, flame or anything toward you.... because you are a GREAT COOK!

Heck, I showed several cooks on my old charcoal Char-Broil before it went to the junk yard. A lot of pics in the challenger's contest really just show a grate and food.....hard to say what kind of grill they are on....Far as I'm concerned, cook over an open pit fire with oak limbs as a skewer for all I care........And yes, this is a site mostly dedicated to Weber grills, so most of the members actually do own one.....and use it....In fact, if I had my choice I would go back and buy the same Char-Broil that lasted me 20 years over my newer Weber OTP.......and cook on it.

And since I have not found a tri=tip yet, guess I'm watching this time, especially since I'm leaving town for a bit....................d

Enough bickering already, I guess I'll go first.:cool:
I'm calling it, "Grilled Tri Tip Sammys".
Marinated overnight in Stubbs beef marinade.
gnwx.jpg

On.
tmmc.jpg

Reverse seared to 135.
qat8.jpg

Cut up after resting, and a smoked onion with beef bouillon cube.
5ncg.jpg

On to Italian bread with provolone.
uuc0.jpg

Thrown on the new Jumbo Joe.
opf0.jpg

Plated with pickles and Montreal steak sauce for dipping, they were very tasty.
tww1.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Oak Smoked Tri-Tip

Looks really good Mike!!!

I was just about to put this in the photo gallery when I thought, "wonder what Steve picked for the Throwdown?"
Glad I did. :)

Saturday night I started out with a ~4lb Choice Tri-tip from my local Albertsons ($2.99 lb until Tues night in my area).

After trimming it a little, I threw it in my Foodsaver quick marinator with a little Mr. Yoshida's, some WishBone Italian dressing, some old Chris & Pits that was taking up room in the fridge, and some minced garlic.
Ran the marinator cycle, sealed and put in the fridge overnight. You can see where the vacuum was released blew the garlic off in the middle.
20131006_170256.jpg

Set up the WSM with chimney of lump and oak chunks and took it to 275* as measured at the therm lid.
My target was 225*, so I took it past there anticipating the temp drop.

20131006_164512.jpg

Put the roast on fat side up, and didn't check it again for about an hour and a half.

20131006_170730.jpg

20131006_172917.jpg

After the 1.5 hours was up, I took the lid off and checked the temp....just where I wanted it. :thumbsup:

20131006_182540.jpg

At this point, I disassembled the WSM and moved the top grate directly over the charcoal ring for the final sear.

20131006_183005.jpg
20131006_183758.jpg

When it reached 145* IT, took it off, rested for about 20 min, sliced and served.

20131006_190050.jpg
20131006_191031.jpg
20131006_191008.jpg

No rub or additional seasonings necessary, just a little pepper and the marinade provided all the flavor.

Thanks for looking. :)

Looks delish, Chris.
(wonder how many have even seen, much less know about, Chris and Pits... ) ;)

Mike and Chris, your tris both look delicious. Going to ride over to the butcher shop in the next day or two myself.

Tri-tip to a trisket
Here is our entry to the throwdown, hope you enjoy the picturesStarted with marinating the tri tip with EVOO S&P, Tatonka dust & Mt. Elbert All-Purpose Seasoning.
Into old smoky goes the tri tip. Cooked it for 4 HRS till the tri-tip reached 165.

Pulled it out and added onion, bacon & beef broth. Wrapped in foil and back onto old smoky with some potatoes

And now we pulled it off at 200 degree's a hour and half later. And it became a trisket, fixed much like a brisket.
Here is the trisket sliced with some onions and ready to be plated and ate.

And finally here we are plated up with stuffed chili potatoes. with the leftover homemade chili from last Fri night and a salad. the trisket was fantastic as was the rest of the meal. Hope you enjoyed looking.
Russ & Deb

Back