Throwdown #16: Tri-Tip

Gotta be the most creative tri-tip method that I have seen. Did it soften up like brisket?
Looks good on the plate and the chili potatoes too!

Gotta be the most creative tri-tip method that I have seen. Did it soften up like brisket?
Looks good on the plate and the chili potatoes too!
Hey Bob,
Thanks for kind words. And yes it did tender up just like a brisket & also has a brisket flavor too. Will be eating them like this from now on.
Russ

Tri-Tip Two Ways

Alright, i'm a newbie, but I figured, what the hell lets give this a shot. We're going to go with Tri-tip cooked on a my 22.5" WSM, with grilled onions and asparagus and tomato-mozzarella salad.

Here's the starting line-up:

Here's our tri-tip, trimmed and ready to be rubbed with goodness:

Used a rub consisting of kosher salt, black pepper, granulated garlic, and parsley:

For kicks, decided to make a tomato-mozzarella salad (doesn't hurt that my better half LOVES this stuff!!):

And because beef and beer will be consumed, figured I'd take on more veggies to stay as "healthy" as possible:

Use a whole chimney of KBB, with 1/3 chimney unlit added, then added some hickory chunks right before assembling the cooker.

Meat's on, time to relax!

Here we are after we've reached 130 and searing (i'm a medium guy):

After a 15' rest, lets slice it up!

Final meal. First time having tri-tip, will definitely need to include it in the rotation!!! Have a sandwich with a buttered and toasted Vienna roll, and some Tri-tip slices, with grilled veggies and tomato-mozza salad.

Thanks for looking! ON WISCONSIN!!!

Last edited:
First Attempt at Tri Tip - what a terrific cut of meat !!

Greetings everyone !

A fellow co-worker was kind enough to pick up a Tri Tip for me from Trader Joe's about a week ago. It's a small one, at 1.51 lbs:

i-8BVbrgW-M.jpg

I actually started cooking yesterday for todays meal, got lucky and ran across some good looking green beans at the local Marsh supermarket at .99 lb. Grabbed about 4 pounds worth, and got busy getting them cleaned and broken:

i-JsmZMm2-XL.jpg

Added some salt and pepper, a package of Knorr Beef Stock and set about caramelizing one diced onion (I used bacon fat which was saved from recent "home cured bacon" cooks):
i-VbTsCR4-M.jpg

Beans getting treated all special like in their own personal hot-tub:
i-69DJXGG-M.jpg

Decided to make the recipe for Santa Maria sauce from the Weber recipes, a picture of the sauce while in the reduction phase:
i-XtXwZzg-M.jpg

And here we are today, I attempt the Tri Tip cook. Blotted moisture off the Tri Tip and let it sit on the counter while the Performer was coming up to temp. Rubbed the meat with my remaining 'sample' of Longhorn's spices they use for their "7 Pepper Steak". This stuff is the absolute best
i-xqjJZcQ-L.jpg

And put it on the Performer, indirect - along with a CI of sliced mushrooms:
i-JcVmcBq-L.jpg

Sliced up a potato for steak fries, coated with just a little EVOO, some salt and a grind or two of pepper - and got those in the oven to 'oven-fry'. My Jenny Craig counselor would be so proud!!

Moved the Tri Tip to the center of the grill for a reverse sear when it hit 120 internal. Sorry no pics of this, I was going crazy running back and forth from kitchen to back-yard. I removed it when it hit 130 internal. Tented loosely with foil, and left it resting on counter while I ran back outside to toast some bread slices on the grill, it was at this point I realized my mushrooms were beyond help...they taste pretty good - but they are just butt-ugly. s'ok.

Used my new handy-dandy Chef's Choice meat slicer to get nice thin cuts...man, the iPhone camera does a nice job:

i-BNrpqtK-XL.jpg

Here's a couple plates for you all:
i-q52zHWC-XL.jpg

Sandwich with the Santa Maria sauce:
i-VcT3x4x-XL.jpg

OMG. Thats about all I can say, just OMG - this was the best sandwich I've had in quite awhile. I think I was actually humming that "Heaven, I'm in Heaven.." song between bites. That meat was so flavorful, so moist, so tender... just PERFECT. Beans turned out really good too. Fries...well, good for oven fried fries.

Hope you enjoyed taking this journey with me today, Peace and Love to y'all !!

So here's my entry into the throwdown. The local Sam's Club had tri-tips on sale, and they were cut properly - which isn't always the case! (Sometimes they're cut more like strips.)

Anyway, I assembled the rub ingredients. The stuff in the bag is medium green chile powder.

I put some olive oil on the tri-tip and rubbed 'er down.

Fired up the WSM with a combo of Kingsford and a couple of chunks of mesquite. Made some salt and vinegar potatoes (http://www.cinnamonspiceandeverythingnice.com/salt-and-vinegar-roasted-potatoes/) only I used a CI skillet on the smoker before giving them a finish in the oven. I used bacon grease instead of regular oil, because BACON of course!

Here they are out of the oven.

Tri-tip on, empty water pan, vents fully open.

Some fall corn on the grill, setting a bit of color.

Now the corn joins some cherry tomatoes, mixed fresh herbs and lime cilantro dressing.

Tri-tip getting the reverse sear treatment.

Sliced.

Your plate.

It all tasted pretty darn good, with family wide thumbs up (not pictured due to space limitations) ;)

Thanks for looking!

Very Nice Chris!! Looks delicious!! Tri Tip is SOooo good, I had my first taste of one just yesterday, already planning the next cook.

Finally got some in at my "GO TO" butcher. Prime Grade $12.99/Lb..
Oh well, you only live once.
So here's my entry.

Getting an overnight soak in a mixture of
Red Wine, Balsamic, Crushed Garlic, S & P:
2_zpsae1ad996.jpg

Firing up the kettle:
1_zps88073ed2.jpg

Putting on the sear:
3_zps6d726619.jpg

Moved over to indirect, and breaking in my new Maverick:
4_zpsa2f50554.jpg

Debbie put together some taters with her blend of butter and onion soup mix
and I've got some onions and mushrooms getting happy on the gasser:
5_zpsce641af9.jpg

Friends came over, and Maverick let me enjoy the company inside
while the meal cooked. Remote finally showed 133 degrees and I ran out and
brought the meat in. Here it is getting ready to rest:
6_zps7586ac8a.jpg

Cut along fat seam and getting ready to carve, (thanks to all who posted
You Tube Carving instruction videos), picture does not do justice to how it looked:
7_zpsba82ac9b.jpg

Carved and ready for the table:
8_zps0a0dca2d.jpg

Table set, sides were potatoes, mushrooms and onions, and Debbie made a fresh Caesar Salad:
9_zps43c18676.jpg

10_zps69ecded1.jpg

Sorry for no individual plated pictures, once we sat down and started I was too busy eating to worry about taking pictures.

Good luck to all my fellow contestants,
and GOOD EATING to all!

Sheila, Chris and BigBill, you all have formidable tri-tip entries, very tasty looking!

Tri-tip from Prague

Above all:
All my friends who cooked this before me - my hat is down!

OK. I'm not a competitive person, but...

I found - believe it or not, even here in Prague, Tri-tips.

tmpE287.jpg

So i go ahead:

After a thorough untrimmed!!!

First massage in good EVOO, thyme, majoram crushed black pepper and garlic about 4 hours

tmp4A8F.jpg

dryed, was then applied this Chris recommended rub:

Tri-Tip Seasoning
3 Tablespoons non-iodized table salt
1 Tablespoon granulated garlic
1/2 teaspoon dried parsley 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, medium grind
1/4 teaspoon Accent (MSG)
Chop the parsley or crush it between your fingers to make it small enough to mix well with the other ingredients. Combine all ingredients and mix thoroughly.
http://virtualweberbullet.com/tritip1.htmlhttp://virtualweberbullet.com/tritip1.html
I used about a third of this amount for this piece of meat weighing around 2lb

(and... yes, MSG has been used too)

But first went to Weber small red onions with balsamic, red wine, sugar and ground black pepper ...

tmpD545.jpg

later added mushrooms....

The course did not allow this to complete the Weber, and then onions and mushrooms make place for stars of the evening and were finished in the oven.
Added one piece of cherry.
here is Tri-tip before reverse sear - temp 125 f

tmp2200.jpg

In this time i made ​​the potatoes in the oven

reverse seared to a temperature of 135 and then packed in the 10 to 15 min in foil to rest

tmpF29D.jpg

some nice competitions marks zucchini (yes, fifty lens/1,7f - forget your mobile phone - you do not have a chance to take a picture like this)

tmp6291.jpg

Beautiful piece of meat

tmpC6B3.jpg

sliced

tmpE01.jpg

and served with Kevin Kruger's planks, Morgan's zucchini, red onion, shrooms and
with sour cream flavored with garlic, lemon juice, salt and pepper.

tmpC7CF.jpg

tmp621C.jpg

It was a great, great experience for me, and my family enjoyed it too.

Last edited:

Back