Throwdown #16: Tri-Tip

This is my submission for Throwdown #16 Tri-Tip:

Tri-Tip Oscar

I used a 2 lb Tri-Tip spiced with a combo of Weber Chicago Steak Seasoning, Penzy's BBQ of the America's, and one chunk of Oak.

The cook's beverage of the day was an English Brown Ale, the Tri-Tip was seared then brought to 130*F.

I blanched Asparagus Spear Tips and folded them into Lump Crab along with Old Bay and SWMBO's homemade Mayonnaise. I slices toast points from a French Baguette and lightly toasted them with an herb and garlic butter.

The Tri-Tip was sliced and placed on toast points, the Lump Crab mixture was added and toasted.

I finished the dish with a dollop of SWMBO's Mayonnaise and a pinch of Old Bay.

IMG_1874_zps6291a6dd.jpg

This was a wonderful experience. Thank You.

Last edited:
Darn... Been a rough couple of weeks havent been on much... Somehow I missed this one! Ill try to squeeze one in tomorrow!

Just getting my entry ready for posting, but then I saw Mido's...I quit! LOL. Great job. Mine will be up soon...

Reverse Sear Santa Maria Tri-Tip

Here we go...finally. I picked up a 3lb. tri tip at the local supermarket and slathered it with a light coat of yellow mustard to act as a glue. Then, I applied a layer of both Simply Marvelous Season All and Susie Q.

photo_1.jpg

After I applied the rub, I put the tri tip in the fridge and started the fire in my brand new 14.5 WSM. I used KBB and 2 chunks of Coastal California Red Oak.

photo_3.jpg

After, the smoker reached 200º and the smoke had that desired blue color, I put on the tri tip for 45 minutes until it reached an IT of 118º

photo_5.jpg

While the tri tip was smoking, I prepped my ingredients for my Santa Maria salsa.

photo_4.jpg

After I finished the salsa, it went into the fridge to chill until dinner time.

photo_6.jpg

After the tri tip reached my desired IT, I removed the body of the WSM and let the fire turn upwards of 500º.

photo_9.jpg

The tri tip rose about 6 degrees after I pulled it from the smoker. Once the IT began to descend, I put it on the grill to give it a nice sear.

photo_8.jpg

I pulled the tri tip off the grill at 142º and it rose to another 5 degrees while it rested in the foil pan.

photo_12.jpg

I sliced long ways in order to cut across both grains in a single slice. This is my preferred way of slicing tri tip.

photo_10.jpg

Plated with the salsa and some nice potato wedges seasoned with SM Season All that my wife cooked up for us. My two young sons love them and they nixed the pinquito beans that I wanted to make. LOL

photo_2.jpg

Thank you for taking a look and good luck to all the entries. I apologize to all the members who were unable to acquire tri tip in their area. Hopefully, one day you too will be able to try what we have been enjoying for generations out here on the west coast.

Cheers!

May the best photographer win:cool:...........................d

LOL. That's pretty much true. I was a bit less concerned about angles and lighting than I was in the last throwdown since I was cooking in the evening with hardly any natural light.

We eat with our eyes before we taste and appearance is the only way for us to judge. If better photography is the slight difference then so be it. All the power to our photo savvy friends.

Good luck, everyone!

Eh. I'm not ashamed of my iPhone pics. ok maybe a little ashamed. :eek:

The beauty of this forum is learning from everyone here. I'd never heard of Tri-Tip before this forum... my entry was the first Tri-Tip I ever saw, ever cooked, much less eaten.

Needless to say, all I REALLY wanted was to eat that meal while it was still warm. And it was better than good. :)

Back