Thinking of Going to the Dark Side

I have a 15 year old Spirit 300. Chose it based on reviews. Simple, yet dependable design. I've replaced flavorizer bars and grates every 5 years. The punch button to start grill quit working one and it took 5 minutes to fix. Temperature gauge broke at around 12 years. Still has original burner. Punched some holes out, but will replace in the next several years. Love it. Great product. FYI mine is in SOCAL under a patio roof, pretty protected from weather.
And to save face: I also have a 21" kettle and 18" bullet smoker. However, the gas grill gets the most use due to ease of use for two of us.

Rich -- we have fire restrictions up in the Colo high country big time. So my charcoal smoking is restricted to mud season and fall shoulder season. Luckily pork butt freezes really well.

You guys will have to tutor me on gasser ribs. Would be nice to be able to make those for July 4th.

And I'd avoid being "that guy" whose WSM burned up the whole neighborhood.
Jim, a couple of pictures from a fire that came within less than 1/4 of a mile from our home a few years ago. There is a 10,000+ acre cattle ranch right next to our housing tract that burned . Really a scary thing for us we were told to prepare to evacuate. Fortunately, with air tankers and ground crews they were able to stop it at the backyards of those that back up to the ranch.
Here is a couple of pictures of it.

100_3051.JPG
Just past that line of homes is the ranch.

100_3065.JPG
The black smoke is from burning homes.

Speaking of shots fired..........................last evening was outside cooking a pork chop on the Genesis and talking with my sister on the phone. And listening to gun fire. Ahh the good life here in the valley
I hope that was friendly fire! Actually, here in rural Indiana, it is not that uncommon for me to hear shot gun blasts not all that far away. It's country life, and I am getting used to it:). Maybe makes criminals think twice!

I hope that was friendly fire! Actually, here in rural Indiana, it is not that uncommon for me to hear shot gun blasts not all that far away. It's country life, and I am getting used to it:). Maybe makes criminals think twice!
Except we're not rural. It's a little disheartening.

Other than size is there any difference between the Genesis and the Spirit?

The Spirit E-330 has a sear burner and a side burner but is around $180 less than the Genesis e_325s. The Genesis is larger but is missing the side burner. Is there a difference in quality between the two series?

If I could have that Spirit without the side burner but still keep the sear burner I might have a winner.

The Spirit E-330 has a sear burner and a side burner but is around $180 less than the Genesis e_325s. The Genesis is larger but is missing the side burner. Is there a difference in quality between the two series?

If I could have that Spirit without the side burner but still keep the sear burner I might have a winner.
In reality, that is about it. Genesis has more total BTU's but spread over a larger area, it is a wash and will cost you more to use. Warranty is slightly different, but not on important parts. Look at the side burner as a bonus-it is there if you need to use it. It does work quite well and gets very hot.

Don't forget what George Stephen :george: said when he was given a steak to try out that had been cooked on a prototype of the Genesis gas grill:
"Now that's what I like. A charcoal grilled steak!"

No reason you can't do excellent bbq on a gas grill. I agree that I would first choose a pellet grill, or if ambitious enough, a charcoal grill, but guys who know how to use smoker boxes - and sound cooking - can make some really convincing ribs, etc. on a Weber gas grill.
That’s a fabulous piece of “Weber lore!!!”

I think the current model spirit 330 has the same grate size as a Silver B /C and genesis 1000/2000 etc.

x000 grills are 35000 BTU.
Silver B/C are 36000 BTU
Spirit E-310 is 32000 BTU main burners and the Spirit E-330 adds a 7500 BTU sear burner.

My opinion is the E310 would be under powered at only 32000 BTU but the E330 with the sear station would be good enough.

Also, if you wanted a griddle, the one I have a lodge, 9.5in x 16.75in fits well on one side of a genesis 1000.

It should work well over the sear burner and get plenty hot.

20230325_141304.jpg

here is a link to the lodge griddle.

Late to the party, but I started with a cheap Lowes grill that... sucked. Hated using it, but did, and the results were awful. It died (thankfully) and I decided to buy a spirit. Wow. I could grill. Burgers? Check. Chicken? Check. Only reason I upgraded to a Genesis was I was moving, and didn't have space in the truck. A friend back in Idaho still has my Spirit and loves it. Not really sure the Genesis is better, but I DID score a red one with the sear station that I... rarely use... but it is pretty.

My dad was a charcoal user, so I know how to do it but... man, I love the gas, and if I wasn't so afraid of the bugs (wasps and whatnot) my wife would likely have me grill every night. Amazing grills.

Made a trip to Lowes for another reason and was able to take a look at both a Spirit E330: $ 819 ( sear burner and side burner)
and a Genesis E325s: $ 999 ( sear burner )

I am leaning toward the Spirit E330. I don't think I will need the size of the Genesis.
In Costco today the Genesis II 335 was avail for 899.

20230328_195305.jpg

20230328_195223.jpg

In Costco today the Genesis II 335 was avail for 899.

View attachment 68324

View attachment 68325
I went to Home Depot last night and they have all the new grills out in front like they do every year so I stopped to examine a Genesis e-325 which I believe is now the base model. It had a sear burner and was listed for $1,099. I have to admit my opinion of it improved over the last time I examined one. I opened and shut the lid, pulled and pushed on it and it seemed a lot sturdier than the last one I looked at. I don't know if that was because of a better assembly job or a year over year improvement in the grill but I kind of liked it.

That's fine, I would rather have the new one. I like it's looks better and since I would already be paying a lot more money than I think it's worth another two hundred bucks wouldn't matter to me. Actually, the one I would want would be the deep ocean blue special edition from Ace hardware that comes with the 9mm stainless steel grates.Screenshot_20230329-001845.pngScreenshot_20230329-001900.png

Last edited:
I loved my Genesis when I had it. Now I use a Q1200 for my gasser. I keep it nice and "seasoned" so it smokes up nicely when it's warmed up and you can get some good tasting food off of it. Charcoal is still just better to me, but I don't scoff at a Weber gasser at all.

On edit: I forgot I also have my Go Anywhere Gas that I got the flavorizer bar mod in and it makes pretty good food too.

I think I like the Genesis II, especially with the sear burner but open cart options. That one also looked really good in Ace Indigo, but my first choice would be this one:

Crimson Weber Genesis II.jpg

I keep my eyes open for a used one like this, but haven't seen one yet. I like the nods it gives to the classic redhead Genesis grills, including moving the tank out from underneath (which Weber used to promote as being safer), the use of two large rolling wheels (appreciated if you have to move your grill some distance over grass or rougher pavement), and, as mentioned, the open cart design. You still have to be vigilant with these grills to hold off rust, but the open cart does promote air flow and drying.

Back