Thinking of Going to the Dark Side

Here's the great grill that I have and which I recommended above. A larger sized 3 burner Genesis about 10 years old. With the extra sear burner (very useful) and a side burner too (I use mine infrequently). Something like this would serve you well. Look for something like this on CL or FBM.

Used for sale in Nashville for $100 bucks. [Edit -- this one's in the Memphis area, not Nashville.]

Last edited:
@PHolder There is no "right" answer. In the end it's your "budget"... that includes purchase cost, time and effort to acquire, effort to rehab if buying used etc.

looking at list prices of new on weber's site:
Spirit E310: $ 699
Spirit E330: $ 819 ( sear burner and side burner)
Genesis E325s: $ 999 ( sear burner )
Genesis E335: $ 1,319 (sear burner and side burner)
and, costco has last years model Genesis II E335 for $1,099 (sear burner and side burner)

If I were buying new, I think I would pick last year's E335 from Costco.

My previous suggestion of a used Genesis E330 leans toward a lower purchase cost with higher time and effort to acquire and rehab. Some replacement parts would be likely. Each market varies, but I'd guess for $400 plus a few hours one could find a used E330 and fix it up very well.

Good afternoon all,
I am a LONG time Weber Kettle user, since the '80's. I haven't used my kettle much in the last few years. I have recently retired and am in the process of downsizing and relocating to the Nashville area.

I am giving my kettle away but am considering replacing it with a Spirit II E-310 once I get settled. This is purely for the convenience of gas and I plan on only cooking burgers, chicken and dogs with it. I will still have my WSM when the fam gets a hanker'in for pulled pork and such.

Am I totally nuts? Is the Spirit II E-310a good choice for a no frills quality grill?

Won’t a Weber gasser be more difficult to clean and maintain compared to a Weber Kettle??

Last edited:
Won’t a Weber gasser be more difficult to clean and maintain compared to a Weber Kettle??
Except for refilling the propane tank (unless you have NG) and replacing worn out parts every few years or longer, cleaning is pretty simple. I clean the grates off before/after every cook and replace the aluminum drip tray once or twice a season. Any time you do have to replace anything internally is the time to give it a better cleaning, but it's not constant. It's just nice to be able to go out and push a button and be cooking in a few minutes.

The reality though is that a gas grill has to be preheated which takes about 10 to 15 minutes, which is maybe a little less time than it takes to light a chimney depending on what charcoal you use, so starting quicker isn't really the case in my experience. It's still more convenient. When my wife went to nursing school I rehabbed a Genesis 1000 for easier weekday cooks. My experience was somewhat of a disappointment as the flavor is just not there compared to a kettle, but it's all in the tradeoffs. A newer grill doesn't take as long as the Genesis 1000. I've got 2 rows of flavorizer bars and the RCPlanebuyer ones at that. It takes it forever to preheat.

Lots of interesting observations here on the pros and cons of both gas and charcoal. Barb and I have decided to downsize. But not give up one or the other. Going from a performer to a Jumbo Joe, why? because there is just the two of us and the JJ will do everything the performer will with half the effort and fuel, plus the easier clean up.
The two gas grills we are keeping one is mostly for sentimental reasons as we have owned the 98 gen 2000 since new. The E320 NG is nice because no propane to mess with and in our hot summers it makes a great outdoor oven.
Also when doing quick cooks like burgers, brats, chicken thighs I really can't tell that much difference in the flavor between gas and charcoal.
I'm still not sure about the Camp Chef, it's set and forget is nice for smoking bacon and ribs. also, pork butts. It's also very reliable. Thats one thing I will agree on there is a big difference in the flavor of ribs, bacon and pork done on the CC vs the E320. The CC wins hands down.

I agree, a grill with 13 flavo bars and 9mm SS grates by RCPlanebuyer do take extra time to heat up. However, temps will stay more stable throughout the cook and all that extra steel mass will hold those temps much better than the grills with stamped grates that they are putting out now.

I agree, a grill with 13 flavo bars and 9mm SS grates by RCPlanebuyer do take extra time to heat up. However, temps will stay more stable throughout the cook and all that extra steel mass will hold those temps much better than the grills with stamped grates that they are putting out now.
I agree. It's just worth noting if convenience and speed are your goal. I would get impatient and if the grill isn't preheated that impacts not only eveness of cooking but flavor as well. My 1000 is great at spinning chickens.

Made a trip to Lowes for another reason and was able to take a look at both a Spirit E330: $ 819 ( sear burner and side burner)
and a Genesis E325s: $ 999 ( sear burner )

I am leaning toward the Spirit E330. I don't think I will need the size of the Genesis.

A smaller Spirit with the extra sear burner will heat up fast. Sear burner also gives you a nice very hot zone on one side and a cooler zone on the other side.

Only thing I ever use the side burner for is french fries. Keeps the mess out of the house. Also good for lighting up a chimney of charcoal.

Enjoy.

Made a trip to Lowes for another reason and was able to take a look at both a Spirit E330: $ 819 ( sear burner and side burner)
and a Genesis E325s: $ 999 ( sear burner )

I am leaning toward the Spirit E330. I don't think I will need the size of the Genesis.

Genesis warranty is slightly better than the Spirit

2022 GENESIS GAS GRILLS​

• 12 years - Cookbox: no rust-through/burn-through (2 years on paint excluding fading or discoloration)
  • 12 years - Lid assembly: no rust-through/burn-through (2 years on paint excluding fading or discoloration)
  • 10 years - Stainless steel burner tubes: no rust-through/burn-through
  • 10 years - Stainless steel cooking grates: no rust-through/burn-through
  • 10 years - Stainless steel Flavorizer® bars: no rust-through/burn-through
  • 10 years - Porcelain-enameled cast-iron cooking grates: no rust-through/burn-through
  • 3 years - Electrical components (Weber Connect controller)
  • 5 years - All remaining parts

SPIRIT GAS GRILL​

• Cookbox - 10 years, no rust through/burn through (2 years paint excluding fading or discoloration)
  • Lid assembly - 10 years, no rust through/burn through (2 years paint excluding fading or discoloration)
  • Stainless steel burner tubes - 10 years, no rust through/burn through
  • Stainless steel cooking grates - 5 years, no rust through/burn through
  • Stainless steel Flavorizer bars - 5 years, no rust through/burn through
  • Porcelain-enameled cast iron cooking grates - 5 years, no rust through/burn through
  • All remaining parts - 2 years

one more ( ok, maybe my last ) comment on the size of the E330. I like that it fits a half sheet pan on one side with the lid closed.

Often I'll prep the meat on a sheet pan, cook on the left half, and put the sheet pan on the right side with the right burner off. I can prep and serve in the same pan knowing the pan will get hot enough to kill off any bacteria, and for resting / serving hot meat is going onto a hot ( warm) pan.

20230222_185042-jpg.66673

Last edited:

Back