Thinking of Going to the Dark Side

Cooked some Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts tonight for its maiden voyage. The Weber book said MEDIUM DIRECT head for about 15 minutes. It ended taking longer, closer to 30 minutes. These were thick and were pretty lean but I didn't see much flame kissing. I guess I need to learn a new way of cooking. I just remember having the fire department on stand by whenever I fired up my parents gas grill. :p

I'm trying Hamburgers and Hotdogs in a few days.

When I cook a breast on the gas grill I do a sear, then finish it indirect. 30 mins sounds about right. 15 mins seems pretty short for a cold-from-the-fridge chicken breast.

Boneless skinless chicken breasts are pretty lean so I'd expect no flare-ups unless they had oil on them that dripped down.

I'm curious if your grill is similar to mine.

I preheat with all burners on high. This is my "clean-off-the-last-cook" thing I do so sometimes I'll have some residual grease flaring up.

Was it all three burners on Med for the cook? I'm curious what the lid temp was.

When I cook a breast on the gas grill I do a sear, then finish it indirect. 30 mins sounds about right. 15 mins seems pretty short for a cold-from-the-fridge chicken breast.

Boneless skinless chicken breasts are pretty lean so I'd expect no flare-ups unless they had oil on them that dripped down.

I'm curious if your grill is similar to mine.

I preheat with all burners on high. This is my "clean-off-the-last-cook" thing I do so sometimes I'll have some residual grease flaring up.

Was it all three burners on Med for the cook? I'm curious what the lid temp was.
I had all 3 burners, except the sear burner, on Medium. The lid thermometer said 325. I may have not preheated long enough.

Learning a new tool is about the journey.

I preheat about 10 to 15 mins all burners including sear on high. I don't worry about overshooting startup temp that much because it will drop quickly if I shut it all down.

My main goal is to burn off any residual to avoid a flare up of old grease plus new fat.

Some people leave the burner on after a cook to clean the grill off, but I usually just shutoff the grill as I'm pulling meat off.

I'll pay attention to it tonight since it is taco moosday and I'm grilling a flank steak.

10 mins with three burners plus sear reached about 550F. On my E330 my sear is on the left.

Shut off RH and Center burners and cooked on the LH and sear. Flank was cut in half lengthwise. CI griddle was just there, not used in the cook.

20230417_185307.jpg

Meat back on the original sheet pan used to season and preheated to kill off anything. Meat off the heat, on to the sheet pan, burners off, lid down for a quick rest.

20230417_190212.jpg
Time to slice for taco moooosday.
20230417_191000.jpg
20230417_191432.jpg

corn tortillas crisped up a bit without oil
20230417_192517.jpg

Some salsa from a jar and some sour cream.

20230417_203410.jpg

10 mins with three burners plus sear reached about 550F. On my E330 my sear is on the left.

Shut off RH and Center burners and cooked on the LH and sear. Flank was cut in half lengthwise. CI griddle was just there, not used in the cook.

View attachment 69267

Meat back on the original sheet pan used to season and preheated to kill off anything. Meat off the heat, on to the sheet pan, burners off, lid down for a quick rest.

View attachment 69268
Time to slice for taco moooosday.
View attachment 69269
View attachment 69270

corn tortillas crisped up a bit without oil
View attachment 69271

Some salsa from a jar and some sour cream.

View attachment 69273
Thank you!! That looks good enough to eat!!

I have found the Weber cook times to be pretty accurate, but those must be pretty small breasts they referenced. On mine, I heat the main burners to 500+ and then kick in the sear burner. I sear the breasts a couple minutes a side, move to the middle, turn off the sear and middle burners, set outside burners to medium. The grill usually maintain about 350 on the lid thermometer. Weber seems pretty consistent across their lines. An instant read thermometer would be a good tool as you get used to cook times. For example, I did a pork tenderloin last night. From experience, it is sear, then medium for 20-25 minutes, but I checked the internal temp to be sure it is med to med-well.

As long as you keep your grill clean of grease build-up, you will not get your father's fires. Sure, searing a ribeye will give you some flares but not sustained fires. That is the design of the grill.

So far this week, in addition to the chicken, I've cooked hamburgers and hotdogs, Pepper Stout Beef, pork chops and brats. Trying the get the hang of this thing. Learning as I go.

Back