Thinking of Going to the Dark Side

Sometimes we get bogged down with minutia & lose sight, life is to short, make a decision & move on.

I would not be interested in the Kirkland either if I had the need. I really don't trust these grills most likely made by Nexgrill but who knows they used to make them for Costco when you need parts down the line. However they will probably sell a ton of them.

Really not sure the average person needs a 6 burner grill either by the way.

While there are some disappointing aspects of most of Weber's newer grills, I always admired the Genesis II line for bringing back:
  • Propane tank on the side where it belongs, like on the "classic" Genesis grills (1-5, x000, Silver/Gold/Platinum)
  • A pair of large wheels, also like the classic Genesis grills.
  • An open cart option
  • The sear burner, at least on the models that offered that option
Genesis II Crimson.jpgWeber Redhead.jpg
You can at least make a "Weber" connection between these two redhead grills...

I think the Genesis II grills look more like "Weber" grills than the new model, and they have thicker aluminum casting in the firebox.

It looks like it sure could. If you look at photos of the grill there are "cutouts" on the side frames that look perfectly made for a rotisserie rod
Looks that way to me as well. I think you can see the two holes for rotisserie motor bracket.

Good afternoon all,
I am a LONG time Weber Kettle user, since the '80's. I haven't used my kettle much in the last few years. I have recently retired and am in the process of downsizing and relocating to the Nashville area.

I am giving my kettle away but am considering replacing it with a Spirit II E-310 once I get settled. This is purely for the convenience of gas and I plan on only cooking burgers, chicken and dogs with it. I will still have my WSM when the fam gets a hanker'in for pulled pork and such.

Am I totally nuts? Is the Spirit II E-310a good choice for a no frills quality grill?
BLOCKED!

😎

So another intriguing thing I saw about the Costco grill that's been discussed is it's universal valves. It can run on any gas with no issue. I discovered there is one main metering jet (which they include) and it's easily accessible. So all one needs do, is install the NG jet and a hose. Done. I also looked more carefully at the ability to use a rotisserie and it is made to accept one. I am also liking that it's? Bring it back for a refund/replacement. I looked too at the gauge of the burners and flavo bars and such. Pretty darn heavy gauge SS. All at $899? IDK it looks like a steal to me

So another intriguing thing I saw about the Costco grill that's been discussed is it's universal valves. It can run on any gas with no issue. I discovered there is one main metering jet (which they include) and it's easily accessible. So all one needs do, is install the NG jet and a hose. Done. I also looked more carefully at the ability to use a rotisserie and it is made to accept one. I am also liking that it's? Bring it back for a refund/replacement. I looked too at the gauge of the burners and flavo bars and such. Pretty darn heavy gauge SS. All at $899? IDK it looks like a steal to me
Somewhat belies the tiresome "new Webers are overpriced, made in China junk" narrative.

And the photo of the label I took clearly indicated "Hecho in Chine". I'll bet some are fully "made" there and some are shipped here in pieces and assembled here. Or maybe a couple stampings made here. In any case, unless I can fully determine a product is actually "Made" here not simply an assemblage of parts from China et al I have given up worrying what the box says. So, if I was itching for a new grill, I would be buying based on what I felt gives me my best bang for my own $$$$. As I sit here typing this on my Lenovo computer. Which of course is what happened to IBMs business. It went to China as Lenovo

And the photo of the label I took clearly indicated "Hecho in Chine". I'll bet some are fully "made" there and some are shipped here in pieces and assembled here. Or maybe a couple stampings made here. In any case, unless I can fully determine a product is actually "Made" here not simply an assemblage of parts from China et al I have given up worrying what the box says. So, if I was itching for a new grill, I would be buying based on what I felt gives me my best bang for my own $$$$. As I sit here typing this on my Lenovo computer. Which of course is what happened to IBMs business. It went to China as Lenovo
Pretty much my point. One can reminisce about older Webers and quality but it looks like Weber is delivering a rock solid grill in that Costco model wherever it's made. I suspect the same holds true for all models now save for possibly the Spirit line.

Pretty much my point. One can reminisce about older Webers and quality but it looks like Weber is delivering a rock solid grill in that Costco model wherever it's made. I suspect the same holds true for all models now save for possibly the Spirit line.
Valid point, as I admit some of us are very sentimental and partial to the older, simpler and rugged built Genesis grills of days gone by. By my own observation - and even caliper measurements - there has been a shift over time to thinner fireboxes and "frames" made more and more from just bent steel. I will say that I think the Genesis II line looks more well-built than the newest version. Those metal slats are going to give you rust trouble, so just stay on it. A good coat of wax every season might help. Someday I am going to restore one of those. I would like to see about maybe replacing the metal slats with wood and going for a more traditional "Weber look."

Valid point, as I admit some of us are very sentimental and partial to the older, simpler and rugged built Genesis grills of days gone by. By my own observation - and even caliper measurements - there has been a shift over time to thinner fireboxes and "frames" made more and more from just bent steel. I will say that I think the Genesis II line looks more well-built than the newest version. Those metal slats are going to give you rust trouble, so just stay on it. A good coat of wax every season might help. Someday I am going to restore one of those. I would like to see about maybe replacing the metal slats with wood and going for a more traditional "Weber look."
I generally agree. My older Spirit S-210 circa 2013 was solid...but for the base but even that was easily restored. It seems some of Webers current offerings are solid if available at an acceptable price point.

By my own observation - and even caliper measurements - there has been a shift over time to thinner fireboxes and "frames" made more and more from just bent steel.

I remember reading you measured some but lost track of the post.

It would be a great to have a chart to show thickness by era for things like cook box, end cap, frame legs, side table SS thickness etc.

If we had a consistent way to measure each piece that we think is worth measuring, then the group here could measure a few and probably cover all the mainstream grills.

Last edited:
I pulled the shelves off a Genesis Platinum 2000-2001 and took the SS inserts out of them. That is some pretty thick stainless. MUCH thicker than even the 2007-2016 Genesis E3xx series stainless shelves and other parts. That grill is built like a tank with the beefed up frame and I am sure thicker cook box than anything in today's line up.

Back