Thinking of Going to the Dark Side

This followed me home from Costco today.

I started with thinking about a Spirit and ended up with a nice Genny II. Thank you all for your advise and leading me in the right direction. I plan on burning it in tomorrow. Its been a long day.

View attachment 69183
You'll be happy with that sear burner - if my genny had one, I'd use it a lot more.

While the Spirit would have served you well, for the slight difference in cost, you made the right choice. You will not miss the side burner and there will be times the extra grill space is nice. Decision made--ENJOY

While the Spirit would have served you well, for the slight difference in cost, you made the right choice. You will not miss the side burner and there will be times the extra grill space is nice. Decision made--ENJOY
It looks like he has both the sear and side burners.

It looks like he has both the sear and side burners.
As I look closer, you are right. It is the new Genesis entry model that does not have it. Even a better value at only $70 more than the Spirit. I like the big wheels too over the casters. Only advantage of casters is that you can easily pull the grill straight forward, but you have to carry it through the grass or stones if you need to get it off the patio. I believe the tank hangs outside where it belongs.

As I look closer, you are right. It is the new Genesis entry model that does not have it. Even a better value at only $70 more than the Spirit. I like the big wheels too over the casters. Only advantage of casters is that you can easily pull the grill straight forward, but you have to carry it through the grass or stones if you need to get it off the patio. I believe the tank hangs outside where it belongs.
I like the outside hanging tank as well. Allows plenty of cabinet storage and is easier to replace the tank. The cover piece over the tank is a bit goofy and doesn't do a great job if hiding it but overall great grill. I love mine. 😁

Good call. Nice big grill top, sear burner (very important), tank on side, side burner (nice to have) and big wheels.

Open cart vs. cabinet is a detail, and you can't find one of them new. Since the G II grils are discontinued.

Enjoy!

Thank you all!

Yes it does have a sear burner and a side burner. Its similar in features to the Spirit E-330. But the Genny II has stainless flavorizor bars and heat deflectors plus a double layer lid.

Thank you all!

Yes it does have a sear burner and a side burner. Its similar in features to the Spirit E-330. But the Genny II has stainless flavorizor bars and heat deflectors plus a double layer lid.
Does the warming rack fold down inside? Or is it fixed?

As a side note, why was there such a short product life of the Genesis II and Spirit II line? Weber sort of reintroduced the previous cabinet model Spirit and completely redesigned the Genesis. Reviews of both of those grills were very good.

Trying to keep us with the Jones's. I agree. The Silver B line lasted for 5 strong years. Heck the previous 2 generations to that lasted from 1985 to 1999 and were barely different in design. The E3XX was very much the same from 2006 to 2016 with a simple switch from side controls to front controls in the middle of the run. Now every three years they are making large changes. I suppose cost cutting moves are partly to account for that as well.

I think this will make it tough on both the customer and company going forward. Parts will not be as plentiful and will be produced for a far shorter span due to a lack of grills needing the replacement parts.

Cooked some Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts tonight for its maiden voyage. The Weber book said MEDIUM DIRECT head for about 15 minutes. It ended taking longer, closer to 30 minutes. These were thick and were pretty lean but I didn't see much flame kissing. I guess I need to learn a new way of cooking. I just remember having the fire department on stand by whenever I fired up my parents gas grill. :p

I'm trying Hamburgers and Hotdogs in a few days.

Skinless chicken isn't going to cause any flare ups. Skin On chicken will however. Dad's grill probably had a bunch of grease fuel already sitting in the bottom of it as well.

Back