Thinking of Going to the Dark Side

+1

I prefer the gen II to the current gennys. I think the open cart and side tank side is better than the doors and tank inside.

I got my kid a gen II used as a house warming present. But regret it was just a 3 burner. Should have held out for the sear burner.

I would much rather have the open cart too, I just know those cabinets are going to be rust buckets sooner than later. I do like the new grill better though if a cabinet model is my only choice.

I think all the remaining new-in-box Genesis II units with a sear burner are cabinet models. At least, all the ones around here.

The closest Ace has leftover open cart models but they do not have the sear burner.

Given the current cost of things. And the size/features at $899 the Costco version of the Genesis is not a bad value. Though, I noticed the $1199 one is more than just an extra burner. Also more stainless parts (grates flavo bars and so on) so for an extra $300 it may present an even better value.
Not for this kid mind you, I'd still find a good "actual Genesis" used in good shape. Do some TLC and still have a better grill. I am actually rethinking giving away the one I found (I think it's a 2 shelf Genesis B)
1680178468770.jpeg
It's in such solid shape and my old Genesis needs lots of TLC thanks to the left frame which I don't know how to weld :( I really gotta learn some day. But the one pictured needs only flavo bars, conversion to NG, and grates. (grates I can salvage off the other one though I do have a brand new old set of the stamped SS ones). IDK, not sure how nice I wanna be to that kid LOL

Prices have gone nuts. I bought my Spirit E-330 in 2021 for$599 assembled and delivered from Lowes. That was not much more then I paid for my Silver B - 20 years earlier. At the current $829 price for the Spirit, the $999 entry level Genesis looks more appealing if you do not need a side burner, and last year's model at Costco at $899 is great. You can bet that nothing is going to get any cheaper. Just buy what you want and enjoy the grilling season.

$829 for the Spirit?!! Wow, I hadn't noticed that the price had gone up that much. Meanwhile, a seller in my area has had a NEW Genesis Silver C for sale for $650 for months with no takers.

Genesis Silver C NEW.jpg

$829 for the Spirit?!! Wow, I hadn't noticed that the price had gone up that much. Meanwhile, a seller in my area has had a NEW Genesis Silver C for sale for $650 for months with no takers.

View attachment 68380

Honestly if I wanted a new grill I would be ALL OVER that thing

Unfortunately for the seller, most people just see an out of style grill and are more wowed by "stainless" junk grills at the big box stores for less $ - OR they will pony up for a new $1K Weber Genesis, mostly because it LOOKS cooler. :( That classic Silver C will be chugging along many years after either of the above options are pushed out to the road for collection.

View attachment 68380

I wonder if Weber will honor the new grill warranty? If they do, will there be any parts available for it?

I don't see them honoring a warranty when the "new" grill is 20 years old:LOL:. The basics are available (grates, burners, igniters) but stuff like the large drip tray and parts specific to that Silver C are not likely to found new. Fortunately, given some reasonable care, you aren't likely to need many of those kinds of parts.

So I saw someone mention this IIRC in this thread. I finally saw one in the "flesh" yesterday. Quite interesting and an innovative take on the "searing" burner. And one IMO actually made to give a "true sear" by being a high powered IR burner mounted above the food so rather than getting lots of grease flare and such you only get actual "heat" on the food. Lots of 304SS and at $899 pretty decent value though no side burner. Very innovative grease management as well. With trays that fit in a regular dishwasher for cleaning as well

20230404_173224.jpg

No, Costco. Note the Kirklland brand. Honestly comes across as a very well made product and quite innovative. That top mounted burner is something I have contemplated for a VERY long time. And for making a pizza? Gotta be OUTSTANDING!

I looked at it on Costco site. Very interesting and a lot of grill for the price. Only unknown is reliability and parts availability. Looks possibly made by NexGrill?

IDK if Nexgrill. Usually when they've done as OEM for a company like Costco you can find a parallel unit of their own. With all the 304SS IDK how much a bother getting parts will need to be. It's not made like a really high end US made grill like my Wolf, but then again it's not $10k either

In Costco today the Genesis II 335 was avail for 899.

View attachment 68324

View attachment 68325
I saw one of those in the flesh today. Liked it and you can't beat the price. The one thing I noticed was the drip pan was separate from the grease collector i.e. they don't slide out together. Thinking could make it interesting scraping out the grease tray without the pan underneath. Looked like the flavoizer bars were stainless

IDK if Nexgrill. Usually when they've done as OEM for a company like Costco you can find a parallel unit of their own. With all the 304SS IDK how much a bother getting parts will need to be. It's not made like a really high end US made grill like my Wolf, but then again it's not $10k either
Do you think that IR burner doubles as a rear burner for rotisserie?

Looks very nice. I do have reservations about the long-term since the last similar all stainless grill Costco marketed under their name has unceremoniously disappeared with complaints from ownership of no support. But, I do like a lot about it and would love to try one. @LMichaels, it definitely looks to have pizza covered!

The one thing I noticed was the drip pan was separate from the grease collector i.e. they don't slide out together. Thinking could make it interesting scraping out the grease tray without the pan underneath.
Its not an issue. The genesis 3xx series has been this way since 2007. I slide the bottom pan out and scrape into a garbage can and replace the liners when they get full of grease.

I save the grease and make candles 😉

20230401_143329.jpg

( note: the candle kit was released on 1 April 2023 )

Last edited:
PHolder -- your new grill is the Genny II E335 at Costco. Final answer!

Has the must have sear burner. Has the nice to have side burner. Has the tank outside the cabinet on the side -- very important.

The cabinet floor is less important from a rust durability perspective if the floor does not have to hold up the heavy tank. And the cabinet storage is minimal if the tank is in there. Hanging the tank on the side is better in every way and is the classic Weber gasser set up.

With the side tank, having a cabinet vs. open cart is a small quibble. Go get it!

Back