The Yakitori Challenge

Thanks guys:)
it was good, but boning and skinning the thighs,
then cutting them up and skewering them is... Well, let's say, I'd prefer my martini dry ;)

ok... Next batter

Looks good from here Jim! (and Bob;)) How was it with soy sauce boys? Did you use it or not?:)

Jim, I soak my skewers the same way, then flip them once in a while. Maybe I need to grab a Old English 40oz and should have no problems lol. yakitori still looks good, worst case cut away the bitter burnt pieces. I'm betting the inside was just fine right?

Jim,

On the bright side...even though yakitori isn't your cup of tea, at least you ended up with a very cool grill setup to use on non-yakitori meat skewers in the future.

OK, here is my submission for The Yakitori Challenge. I've been eating a lot of chicken this past week, and if I eat any more poultry I'm gonna sprout feathers, so I decided to go in a different direction with the choice of meat. For my entry, I went with a version of pork belly yakitori known as butabara. I seasoned the sliced pork belly with just salt, and I brushed the shiitake mushrooms and scallions with soy sauce and sesame oil. The glaze was a simple reduction of tamari soy sauce, mirin, brown sugar, and sesame oil. All the cooking was done on the red SS Performer, using a makeshift setup where I inverted my charcoal baskets and covered them in foil, then placed a kebab rack on top. The fuel of choice was Coshell coconut charcoal, with a single layer of coals in between the charcoal baskets. Overall, it was an enjoyable cook with flavorful results, and I was honored to be a part of this unique forum activity. My nominees for the next round of the Yakitori Challenge are at the bottom of the thread.

Here's a prep shot of the scallions. Gotta use Japanese knives when cooking Japanese food, right? :D

Another prep shot of the sliced pork belly.

Some pics of the shiitake mushrooms, scallions, and pork belly right before they went on the grill, as well as some action shots.

Plated photos.

Here is a link to a short video I made of the cook.

http://vid104.photobucket.com/albums/m185/r83nisi/IMG_2148_zps0982eb2e.mp4

And finally, my two nominees for the next round of The Yakitori Challenge are Tim McCann and John Sp.

Last edited:
Jerome,

WOW!! You just too this thread to another level. The pictures are beautiful and so is the food!! And I love that Nakiri! Who makes that knife??

Great stuff!

Very nice Jerome! Like the grill set up and the creative skewering of the shiitake mushrooms.
Dumb question: How did the pork taste?

Well, the bar has been raised. Again. :)

Great job, Jerome. I love the belly substitution. Awesome pics too!

Jerome - awesome cook - that is going to be hard to follow but I am down for it. I will be late to the party though. We are heading for Ruston, La this weekend where four of my five sons will be playing for the Louisiana Tech Band of Pride (the son not playing this weekend appears at 1:37 of this video on the left playing trombone). I will be 'yakin' it up' the following weekend. Thanks for including me in this august company...

Regards,

John

Very nice Jerome! Like the grill set up and the creative skewering of the shiitake mushrooms.
Dumb question: How did the pork taste?

Thanks Brian! In terms of taste, it had a very porky flavor with a crispy/chewy texture of thick-cut bacon (minus the smoke), and it paired well with the sweet/salty glaze.

a list member pm'ed and called me out! so here we go...

15372341776_c06b452756_c.jpg

Started out with the basics - i only could fine tiny green onions, but so it goes....

15208861207_9c4f48da0f_c.jpg

I thought some veggie egg rolls would be a good side. - Tofu, cabbage, carrots, shallots, garlic & ginger. I had some homemade bacon cooked up, so they turned into veggie egg rolls with bacon at the last minute.

15208696640_2a0f274787_c.jpg

Wok'ed up the stuffing first to get it into the fridge to cool. It's easier to twist up the egg rolls when the stuffing is cool.

15208860637_4dc2c9ddd6_c.jpg

While the egg roll stuffing chills, I boned the thighs and baked the bones on the gasser at high heat...This is why I love this board. Who else would like to look at a picture of blackened chicken bones but you guys!

15395038532_f46049fe20_c.jpg

After the bones have charred, we do the Yakatori sauce. Let that reduce for a couple of hours.....

15392185201_9aa1d051a5_c.jpg

Twist a few up, and into some hot peanut oil....

15395364405_dfd30e5292_c.jpg

skewers on - basting often with the sauce -

15208694800_5ab35fc656_c.jpg

after all that a lousy plated shot, but you get the idea - It was really good!

Back