The Yakitori Challenge

Brian, what a gorgeous cook, just outstanding!

Mildo, You hit that one out of the park!. Just some stunning photos too!

:DBrian and Mildo, the quality of the pics and your cooks are unreal! Any leftovers? :D

Not at my house!

Mildo, your post could be a feature story in the "Japanese Beer Today" magazine: It looks beautiful and I'm sure it tasted better!

Last edited:
Simply gorgeous, Mildo! A masterpiece.

I love the second pic - fantastic composition.

very nice cooking people! EXCELLENT, in fact!
I'll be trying this again tomorrow or Tuesday.... and post here a few days afterwards.
here are some HIGHLIGHT'S so far!

S1030189_zpsbc66b8db.jpg

1212.JPG

tmpC097.jpg

Excellent!
smiley-happy096.gif
Each AND Every One!
smiley-gen053.gif

All right, all great cooks so far!!

I also accept the challenge from Mildo but I do need a few days before I have a chance to do this. Thanks!

okeydokey folks... he is my disaster of Yakitori Lam-pe-tori
started by soaking my skewers WELL BEFORE cutting the thighs and firing up the Yakitori Grill
(later in this post, you may want to reference this)

IMG_1122.JPG
soaked for AT LEAST 3 hours

cut the chicken into small one inch chunks and skewered with garden fresh onions

IMG_1131.JPG

spent too much time decorating the Weber into a Yakitori Kingdom

IMG_1132.JPG

time has arrived to kill. I mean cook.

IMG_1134.JPG

IMG_1137.JPG

IMG_1139.JPG

this ▼ is about the time I SHOULD HAVE REMOVED the chicken...

IMG_1140.JPG

but I did not and this is the result of my stupidity... the skewers burned away... and the pieces of meat, well...

IMG_1141.JPG

at this point, it all went up in flames (or smoke)

IMG_1142.JPG

but I got out a wire brush and cleaned some of the char off the chicken,
plated up some rice with Japanese beans and peppers...
even included a local Japanese brew to flush it all down.

IMG_1143.JPG

it was tasty, really.... but it may be a while before I venture to the Yak-Grill again.
now, let's invite Morgan, our Alaskan friend, and Miguel from the City of Angels to show us their versions...

Burnt or not, Jim, it looks good. I haven't seen that beer in the local Asian market though. Will have to look again next time I'm there. ;)

Wow, everyone is nailing this dish, glad I don't have to judge!

Here's mine.
I know, I know, it looks a heck of a lot like Lampe's, just a coincidence I assure you. :p

IMG_1143.JPG

thanks guys:)
Ed, YOUR name was in the hat with one other that was not picked...
I'd call that luck ;)

Doesn't look at all bad Jim and if it tasted good it's good. With that set up you had to have some super heat underneath those skewers.
Did something like that years ago put a full chimney into a one grill single hibachi I knew I was in deep Bandini when the whole hibachi got cherry red and the wood leg supports started smoking.

Jim, I applaud your sincerity in posting what you feel is a less than stellar post. Hey, you gave it a shot, you still got to eat it, It ain't the worst thing in the world.

Bob...I guess the same would apply to you... ;)

Jim I'd eat that all day long..nothing wrong with that cook buddy!! Guess I better research what the heck Yakitori is??

Looking forward to this one!!

Back