The Yakitori Challenge

OK. Here we go. This is my offering to the Yakitori Challenge. Thanks Barb, for the challenge. I looked at a lot of recipes for this and put one together for my cook. I'll nominate my two participants at the end of my post.

I used one pound of boneless, skinless chicken breast.

Here are the ingredients. I chose to use Leek slices along with Red Bell Pepper chunks for the Yakitori.

I chose to do a side with the Yakitori. Roasted Orange Bell Pepper. Green Bell Pepper and Pineapple chunks.

I marinated the chicken chunks for about two hours, maybe a tad longer.

Got them skewered up. I ran out of leeks for the last skewer so I substituted onion slices.

Got the peppers and pineapple chunks going in my CI Veggie Wok.

Got the Yakitori on the grill.

Peppers and pineapple getting there.

After the turn and a baste. I pulled that top skewer off the brick after I took this shot!

Yakitori is done.

Continued.

Last edited:
I let the Yakitori rest a bit while I worked on plate.

Pulled the peppers and pineapple

Plated with Pearl Couscous.

This was a lot of fun. Yakitori is a nice dish and we really liked it. Thanks for all the inspiration and ideas you gave me for preparing mine. Now for my nomination of two more members. I searched the board for those members who've already done Yakitori Chicken, including those who presented it prior to this challenge. I wanted to give them a little break as most of them had done it pretty recently. I'd like to nominate Brian Dahl and Clint. Please don't hate me guys!

Last edited:
Cliff that is a superb cook!! Different but excellent. Great of you to rock the boat :). Those really long skewers look outstanding. After seeing those long skewers you should nominate Jerome D :).

Last edited:
Really like it Cliff, It's nice folks are getting something different going so we don't have the same thing time after time.
I bet soon someone is going to jump out of the box and really change it up!

Last edited:
No hate, Cliff - only Yakitori love. Those are some big footsteps to follow, I'm gonna need a couple of days...
I'm glad to hear the fire's are steering clear of you.

OK, let's see if we can get this puppy barkin' again...

To help set the mood please watch this: Reflections From a Mountain Stream

the ingredients for the main attraction. It was early in the am: the vinegar shouldn't be in this pic. Chicken thighs.

chopped, blended and bagged

one of my sides is going to be a Soba noodle salad w/ a peanut dressing. Started out looking like this

the chicken marinaded all day when I was at work. Came home an' skewered 'em, along with mushrooms and garlic cloves. This was an ah-ha moment for me. I've always had trouble with mushrooms breaking when I put them on the skewer, and I was concerned about the garlic splitting, too. I picked up a trick a few years ago, which was to pan roast individual cloves in a skillet - to spread on bread. Why not pan roast them for the skewer? Bingo! Since I'm precooking the garlic, why not do the same for the mushrooms? Bingo Bingo! I blanched the shrooms and they skewered perfectly.

on to the grill: last time I called it a Konro, a little more "internet research" also suggests: Shichirin. I call it a nifty ceramic insert, inside a tin can exterior, with damper control. I picked this up at an "estate sale" years ago, it's a fun little grill to cook on. It kicks out the heat when she's rollin'

We're on!

pt. 2 after the jump...

for your consideration: plated w/ the noodle salad, Mukimame (shelled soybean) and Watermelon Radish. The Mukimame was sprinkled with black & white diamond flake salt, the radish w/ table salt

and to wash it down: Rouges Morimoto Soba Ale

My nominees are a pair of J's: Jerome and Jose. Thanks for stopping by, and you know where you'll find me...

Brian,
Simply magnificent! From the yakitori, to the side dishes, to the cool grill setup, I am in awe 😳.
I'll be honored to carry the torch.

Excellent Brian!! Great pics as well. Hey no fair :). I though it was my Yakitori post that started this thread. It might be a while before I put one together....

Cliff, I'm sorry I'm late on your posting but that was outstanding job on the Yakitori. Your side dish of peppers and pineapple was different, will have to give that a try. We've had some great dishes and they just keep coming, great job by everyone.

Brian, awesome cook and great pics!! Great pick on the J's should be some good cooking coming!

I love this thread. Really great cooking everyone!
This is my post to the Yakitori Challenge.
I used the same marinade as here
http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?40673-Prague-s-Yakitori-II&highlight=Yakitori
in two hours

tmpBECA.jpg

On a stick along with scallions. Tasting the first Japanese beer at this moment

tmpED0B.jpg

after first searing

tmp15E0.jpg

turned and basting with reduced marinade to syrup

tmp53FA.jpg

several times

tmpCA43.jpg

tmpF807.jpg

done. Tasting the second Japanese beer at this moment

tmp2F9C.jpg

and serve with pickled carrots&daikon radishes and cucumber. Tasting the third Japanese beer at this moment

tmp5DFC.jpg

tmp934F.jpg

Very tasty. I think it would taste even my friends Jim Lampe and Bob Correll.

tmpC097.jpg

I'd like to see in this thread Yakitori from GeorgeL and Peter Gallagher. I know that for the boys will not be a problem when you have time.
Dwaine, thanks for the nomination. I am glad that I can be part of this great story.

Last edited:

Back