The Yakitori Challenge

Very nice Barb, everything looks phenomenal!!!! I think Barb gets bragging rights in your house for the next couple of weeks at least, Rich!

I can't drink Japanese beer, I get a splitting headache a few minutes after I take a couple of sips.

I forgot about this, until yesterday when GregB reminded me. He is definitely one that needs to get in on this!!!

My first attempt. Not too bad but feel I could have done a little better. I cheated on the sauce, I didn't want to buy more ingredients, me pantry is overflowing already. I just used some teriyaki sauce and thinned it out.

First just did some salted ones, from what I've read the two I did are the most popular varieties.

Time to dig in. Got a little too much char on some of them but they didn't taste burnt. These things tasted a lot better than I thought they would too.

Looking good, John! Thanks for taking the challenge. Will you be challenging anyone else?

Nicely done John looks really good!
IMG_3300_zpsafc180e5.jpg

For my Yakitori challenge I am using a combination of momo (もも), chicken thigh and negima (ねぎま), chicken and spring onion from this recipe. We also decided to slice and skewer a steak for Yakiniku (焼き肉 or 焼肉), "grilled meat" and SWMBO is making wontons known as chāo shǒu (抄手, lit. "crossed hands" ). We served the meal alongside SWMBO's fried rice and various sauces some homemade. I appreciate the challenge. I likely never would have done this cook but it is definitely a keeper. I apologize for the fuzzy photos. I am on a cell phone.

Yakitori sauce:

Yakitori and Yakiniku:

Wontons:

I reach across the pond to nominate Mildo and Wolgast. You guys always have such beautiful cooks -- Let's see some Yakitori!

Last edited:
Outstanding Dwain, very creative! I would sure love to try that, I'm sure Barb will be impressed also!
Great Idea nominating Mildo and Wolgast this should be really good.

Awesome cook, Dwain! Really good stuff!

I appreciate the challenge. I likely never would have done this cook but it is definitely a keeper.

I'm glad. We all get so much inspiration from this site. But I find that my 'to do' list keeps growing and some things just don't get done. My hope is that we can all 'nudge' each other a bit with this kind of challenge.

Dwain, that is outstanding dinner WOW!!! Would you share the recipes with us? Great choice on our next cooks!

I was really set on a Salmon skewers(raw spiced salmon..Grilled on skewers) since in my book yakitori is skewered food.(even if its not the original) I had my mind set and watched the post again and it said "Chicken" a well. Salted my plans but here we go:

Here is a great simple way of doing a Yakitori sacue:

6 tablespoons Cane sugar
8 tablespoons Japanese soy
4 tablespoons Sake
3 teespoons corn starch. *edit* Followed a tips of 4 but i change this to 3 for everyone that wanna try it. A bit thick when cold.

Mix the starch with the soy(no lumps) add everything else and cook on slow heat untill it thickens up.
0894.JPG

This is what goes on the skewers. Salt/chili flakes and schezuan pepper goes into a mortar and lightly dusted over the chicken.
0945.JPG

0992.JPG

Was set on a cold tater salad...If i would use Salmon. Rice was an alternative..But would prolly look a bit boring.(since i dident do any extra) So we did a fast stirfry with Eggnoddles,Bell,Spring onions and added some sweet chili sauce at the end.
1124.JPG

Emilie made a paste out of feta/chili/bell and wraped in a icebergsalad leaf.(blanced the leaf and then put in ice cold water)
1152.JPG

1173.JPG

A bit blurry couse the fire was way to hot after the stirfry. Felt paniced when i saw how fast it burned.
1212.JPG

Plated somthing like this. Served with a glas of sake. (cant stand this stuff...I had a beer)
1301.JPG

Better then i thought since im not really a fan of a sweet cook like this. Emilie loved it and that´s what matters.

Thanks for your time...And thanks Dwain for pulling me outside my comfortzone. Needed in my low state.

What is this Yakitori thread without the masters Jim Lampe And B0B Corell! I nominate you both!

Last edited:

Back