The price one pays for pursuing any profession or calling is an intimate knowledge of its ugly side.

Hehe.....I was thinking a different direction when I read the subject line. Being an IT person for over 25 years, what I hear from the mouths of people who *think* they know anything about IT just totally blows my mind....but yeah...dirty dishes, especially pots!!

I have a really small kitchen so, the clean as you work postulate works best for me. I just spend some quiet time in the kitchen while guests talk. I’m perfectly happy doing it most of the time.
I am not a huge fan of most things plastic, they never really seem to feel clean enough. Just me.

We didn't clean up everything last night and we were moving a bit slow today.

Today was a nice sunny day and dishes were not a priority.

Thevmess above was before cooking tonight so time to get busy.

I think I'll re-watch Star Wars mandalorian while cleaning.

Film at 11, or maybe midnight.

I have a really small kitchen so, the clean as you work postulate works best for me. I just spend some quiet time in the kitchen while guests talk. I’m perfectly happy doing it most of the time.
I am not a huge fan of most things plastic, they never really seem to feel clean enough. Just me.
Plastic is hard to clean. Especially grease.
I saw in consumer reports that housewives used to spend considerable time washing dishes. Gf reminded me that I still do

Last edited:
90% of the time Barb and I work as a team when cooking. Barb has always been a clean as you cook person and now I'm the same.
Sure beats standing at a hugh pile of dirty dishes, pots and pans when your done.

When I had an automatic dish washer, I let things get a bit more “congested”. Now that I am the ”Master“ of the kitchen, I just do it all. My amazing wife has worked hard all her life, I will not be anything like her first husband who demanded dinner on the table regardless of what she had done all day. We got together, I casually said that I had never dated a woman that cooked better than I could. Bless her heart, she said “Well, here are the keys to the stove, its all yours.” That was 35 years ago, been washing dishes ever since.
I love it!

I'm with Timothy. I do most of the cooking, both inside and outside, and don't mind doing the dishes. My wife did everything but the grilling for the years I worked, and she didn't, so it's my turn now.
If it's a busy cook, everything gets rinsed well and stacked next to the sink. Makes it a whole lot easier to wash when time allows. I use Dawn blue, which does a great job on greasy things, including plastic. Glassware gets washed first and greasy stuff last. If need be, I'll use fresh water and a little extra Dawn for the greasy things.

We didn't clean up everything last night and we were moving a bit slow today.

Today was a nice sunny day and dishes were not a priority.

Thevmess above was before cooking tonight so time to get busy.

I think I'll re-watch Star Wars mandalorian while cleaning.

Film at 11, or maybe midnight.
Mandalorian really was awesome. I wasn't expecting much and I was thrilled with it

For me! I always mise-en-place to start and always clean as I go. i also do a bit of rinse and reuse. I use SS bowls and glass measuring cups. Clean up is a bunch easier this way.
Absolutely!! Mise-en-place is critical in a small kitchen, it also helps with clean up as well.
I‘m not big on most things plastic in the kitchen aside from some fish turners and the need for some in nonstick pans. I drop things in the sink as mise-en-place is used, while the product cooks, I wash, rinse and, rack. It’s space management as much as anything. That reminds me, I need to break down my double stacked dish drainer and give it its quarterly deep cleaning!

Back