The price one pays for pursuing any profession or calling is an intimate knowledge of its ugly side.

Barb works PT at Safeway and I don't work anymore so I've taken over the cooking, house cleaning, laundry etc. On her days off we do what needs to get done together. Been doing this for over two years now I have a lot of respect for the amount of work Barb was doing when she didn't work and I did.
Just don't call me a house husband ;)

Pam and I share the cooking duties. She is a very Good but messy cook so I stay out of the kitchen while she is in there. I am a clean as you go guy so the mess bothers me and she doesn't like me cleaning behind her. So whoever is cooking does the whole meal. But I don't mind helping her with the dishes.

Last edited:
LOVE THIS THREAD!!!!!!!

It's nice to see that a lot of you are finally understanding what us women have had to do for all these years. (and put up with lol)

A04ECECE-E2F6-4574-8D09-C27E44DAA906.jpeg
My sisters sent it from Amazon while I was re doing the kitchen. I love it! I looked for a friend a while ago and it said it was not available But, that’s been a while. This thing is really great!
I just checked, it appears to be back in stock! I don’t remember it being $80.00 but, it was a fantastic gift for my tiny counter space!
You can see it gets a little “limed” up with the hard water here. Time to break out the vinegar then let the parts dry and rub them down with waxed paper for a little ”spot resistance”. It works very well on chrome, it does help on the black plastic a little.

Last edited:
Absolutely!! Mise-en-place is critical in a small kitchen, it also helps with clean up as well.
The problem I run into is I frequently don't have sufficient 'place' for all my 'mise'. At Christmas the counter was covered with prep bowls of various sizes and I had no room to work. Cooking for a dozen takes things to a whole new level.

View attachment 42747
My sisters sent it from Amazon while I was re doing the kitchen. I love it! I looked for a friend a while ago and it said it was not available But, that’s been a while. This thing is really great!
I just checked, it appears to be back in stock! I don’t remember it being $80.00 but, it was a fantastic gift for my tiny counter space!
You can see it gets a little “limed” up with the hard water here. Time to break out the vinegar then let the parts dry and rub them down with waxed paper for a little ”spot resistance”. It works very well on chrome, it does help on the black plastic a little.
We bought one of these for going over the sink.
Gives us that much needed side counter space.:)

I learned to clean as you go after spending time doing KP in the military you never want wait till the end to start kitchen clean up.
I actually like doing dishes I was a aircraft mechanic for a few decades and it was a great way to get my hands clean. Plus it takes a load off my wife's hands. So she can keep putting together her great meals. As Rich said it is all down to team work.

View attachment 42747
Need it. We keep our dishes in a single high. And in the dishwasher! Loh (lady of house) cleans the rack every saturday.
Have to dry on busy cooks. Need the space. If we had more counter space, i would be fatter.

Last edited:
I've found quite a few reasons to "clean as I go," not the least of which is that if I get at some stuff like bowls that I made dough in will just about wipe right out if I get right at them. Making beer, if I can get the boil kettle cleaned out as soon as I get the wort into a fermenter, it's easy to clean out. If I wait even an hour to get at the boil kettle, that stuff starts to set up HARD.

Need it. We keep our dishes in a single high. And in the dishwasher! Loh (lady of house) cleans the rack every saturday.
Have to dry on busy cooks. Need the space. If we had more counter space, i would be fatter.
It is far more convenient than I had imagined! Get one today!

I've found quite a few reasons to "clean as I go," not the least of which is that if I get at some stuff like bowls that I made dough in will just about wipe right out if I get right at them. Making beer, if I can get the boil kettle cleaned out as soon as I get the wort into a fermenter, it's easy to clean out. If I wait even an hour to get at the boil kettle, that stuff starts to set up HARD.
How about plates that you had egg on? And silverware? Pans you cooked the eggs in?

How about plates that you had egg on? And silverware? Pans you cooked the eggs in?
<scratches head> Lessee..... I have a couple of good non-stick pans (may make the jump to carbon steel at some point,) that are used for fried, scrambled, etc. Those nearly just wipe out clean. Measuring cups & bowls where I've used eggs as part of a liquid mix get rinsed as soon as I can after emptying them. We have a Bosch 500 series 3 tray dishwasher that does a darned good job on plates, even with egg from dinner on them.

Back