St. Louis spares on the WSM with new toys.

Dustin Dorsey

TVWBB Hall of Fame
I finally got to try out some new toys I got for Christmas.

I got a new Boos Block cutting board and a smoke thermometer!

Removing the membrane and some light trimming.

Seasoned these up with some Kosmos Q Dirty Bird.

I cooked these at 275 with KBB and Pecan chunks.

I wrapped them after 2 hours, then wrapped in foil with no liquid for 30 minutes, then back on for another 30. I sauced them with some Heinz Carolina Sauce. It may not be at all a good representation of a carolina sauce but it's damn good.

Sliced shot.

Another sliced shot. These ribs turned out outstanding! I've had a couple of bad cooks since I switched to cooking at 275, but I'm getting the hang of it! Thanks for looking and have a Happy New Year!

Great looking cutting board, and the smoke thermometer is on my wish list.
Ribs look mouth watering good:wsm22:

Sexy therm. Sexy cutting board. Those bones look kosher to me.
All good in North Texas I see. :)

Great Christmas gifts and Excellent Looking Ribs, Dustin!
Heinz bottles some dang-good sauces.... my favourite is the Texas Bold & Spicy

Nice cook Dustin, rubs look perfect and a couple of nice toys too. I've been making my own rubs and sauces for years but I have to admit the commercial rubs and sauces are so much better today compared to what used to be available just five or so years ago.

Those ribs look awesome Dustin. Nice toys you got there. I'm thinking of getting a smoke also.

These ribs turned out outstanding! I've had a couple of bad cooks since I switched to cooking at 275, but I'm getting the hang of it! Thanks for looking and have a Happy New Year!
So Dustin I too find the hotter to be less tolerant so did you settle in on 3 hours @275 2H + 30M + 30M the best for you? Great looking. My New Years cook I went back to 2-2-1 at 225 with great results

So Dustin I too find the hotter to be less tolerant so did you settle in on 3 hours @275 2H + 30M + 30M the best for you? Great looking. My New Years cook I went back to 2-2-1 at 225 with great results

I think 2H+30M+30M works out pretty well. I did some baby backs a while back and just WAY overcooked them. My goal with cooking at 275 is just better air flow and hopefully better smoke flavor. Time really isn't as much of a factor for me. My WSM settles in at 275 super easy. Getting 225 is a little trickier, but arguable just as easy once you the hang of it. My problem is that my vents are just almost completely closed at that temp. At 275 I can have all vents open at least half way for a good portion of the cook. The downside like you say is there is a much smaller window for pulling them off. These turned out perfectly.

Back