SousVide first attempt: I love it !

Enrico Brandizzi

TVWBB Honor Circle
Hello my BBQ Friends,
Great news in my kitchen: Anova Sous Vide has arrived and today I planned a INVERTED REVERSE SEARING.
I had 2 aims:
1) Avoid the smoke flavour on myself when my dinner guests seat at my table;
2) Be indifferent at my latecomers guest. no carry over no problems.
this is what I did.
I thawed a huge (4 pounder) Tbone steak and rubbed with carne crosta dry rub.
Meanwhile, it was raining but I went along liting 1 regular chimney and settled my 26" kettle.
When heated the grate I thrown down the Tbone and let it sear for totally 7 minutes.
Stopped the searing action and pulled off on the top counter and lit on the Anova.
I placed the Tbone in a double plastic bag and added in the outer bad 2 stones.
Finally at 10am I submerged the bag into the water, settled the Anova at 130F and forget it till 1pm.
At 1pm all the family was at lunch table ready to taste the Tbone.
Sliced and served.
To me and others that was a perfect steak, superjuicy, moist, flavourful and super tender. Tnederness was spot on, almost unbelievable.
Maybe next time I try to cut the internal temp to 125F if my Sweet Honey will say YES.
I don't tell you yet, but I cooked this steak into my living room and because it was delicious my Sweet Wifey did not scream me.

IMG_2166 by Enrico BBQness, su Flickr

IMG_2175 by Enrico BBQness, su Flickr

IMG_2176 by Enrico BBQness, su Flickr

IMG_2181 by Enrico BBQness, su Flickr

IMG_2195 by Enrico BBQness, su Flickr

IMG_2207 by Enrico BBQness, su Flickr

IMG_2220 by Enrico BBQness, su Flickr

IMG_2223 by Enrico BBQness, su Flickr

IMG_2226 by Enrico BBQness, su Flickr

IMG_2230 by Enrico BBQness, su Flickr

continued.....

Wow! Looks like you've been doing SV for decades with that cook. Nice job!

I'll be doing SV with a 1.7lb Tri Tip for dinner tonight. Can't wait after seeing your fantastic pics.

I've read that sometimes the temp that is set on the unit is not the same temp that the water actually is. Seeing as it's your first attempt, have you tested it to see how accurate it is?

Very very nice. Next time I SV a steak, I'm going thicker and searing it first.

Also, for that cut of meat, 130 was probably a good target temperature. Especially since you seared first.

Enrico

You had me at, I thawed a huge (4 pounder) Tbone steak, and the sous vide/sear part was just a bonus.
Thanks for your informative post.

I've read that sometimes the temp that is set on the unit is not the same temp that the water actually is. Seeing as it's your first attempt, have you tested it to see how accurate it is?

Len You are totally right, BUT I did not. I didn't thinck about that and I didn't check the IT of the meat too.
Next time for sure I'll do both the checks.

Back