So what other hobbies do you you guys have?

Anything I can do with my little bud is always top on my list. Whether hiking along the Kishwaukee River area, fishing on it's banks, whatever. Anything we do together is the world to me

Fishing and metal detecting. I guess I'm fascinated by what might be hidden under the surface, land or water.

I'm big into triathlons. It doesn't quite mesh with smoking, given the caloric intake from BBQ, but I do love doing triathlons. I'm doing 70.3 Des Moines race on Father's Day and am really looking forward to it.

Before Covid, I was doing a lot of Cowboy Action Shooting. There are a couple of really good clubs in my area. Great people to play cowboy with. Hoping to get back into it soon.

IMG_20210207_215727.jpg

That's Ol' Claude Dirtbank on the left with his partner Walnut Wrangler.

Well, I only have 1 opinion now........
It used to be affordable, collecting them seemed reasonable.
For some reason now it insanely expensive, I don't buy as many as I used to for sure.
A new double LP from a record store will run you $40 for sure and if it's no longer available and you have to use the online options to obtain wat you want, that same record could be something like $65.00 plus shipping.
These numbers are random but it most very well does work this way.
On the other hand however, I just installed a new needle on the turntable and let me tell you......there is no better sound possible if you want to listen to high quality audio.
It's nice to have and own something you can hold on to and listen to, if you are not interested in investing possible $30,000 into about 700 records or so then you may want to avoid it.

50921324992_98ed44d212_w.jpg

....I sadly departed with my vinyl a few years ago - in a moment of weakness, I gave my all my albums, about 30 years worth - to a nephew - it seemed like the right thing to do - I agree with you completely - that there is nothing better than true analog - but in a continuing attempt to simplify things around here, the vinyl got the axe - we're still audio junkies, at least if you can be considered one without a turntable - good audio equipment has always been a passion, but we're all in on digital now.

It is an inconvenience for sure.....especially when you have listened to 4 hours worth of records and you are bbq ing and having tasty cocktails and running inside every 22 minutes or less to flip the vinyl. The sound quality and the listening to a whole album at once rather than radio style which is just a new hit constantly, that really isn't very good anyways is the highlight for me. I just bought 8 new records ( a new dead record too ) online and it cost me a small fortune. I have been buying less, just every one in a while it is nice to have new old records. I walked into sunrise record store the other day, I don't buy from there much due to the prices.....I know they have rent to pay and employees and all that but everything I picked up to look at was $50 or more. It is hard to pop out $150 plus taxes for 3 records as a random purchase just for some new tunes.........

It's not a hobby, but I have been holding on to my records for many years. Starting with 78's, 33 1/3 LP's. mine, my brother's, my sister's 45's. Any suggestions? I don't think my daughter wants me to pass them on to her.

If you are considering getting rid of your records they all have some value to them. Many people treat them like collectables and actually don't open the plastic or listen to them. Seems silly to me but most record shops will buy them from you at about 50 to 60% of the resale value. Also there are record shops looking to not pay you what they are worth too so be careful with who you trust if you decide to unload them. Some really old records, first pressings mainly are the ones that generally become more valuable.

I've still got all my cd's. They are worth nothing. I even have them all ripped into mp3s. I never got into vinyl. I wonder how many gen-xers have.

CD and digital music don't compare to vinyl. While you still can buy CDs along with other forms of digital music they don't come close to vinyl. I have even digitized some of my vinyl onto CD and MP3/WMA and such. And honestly my conversions sounded FAR better than commercially purchased CD of the same albums. I know because I have duplicates on both vinyl and CD and the home conversions sounded WAY WAY better. Digital music is convenient but nothing more. When I REALLY want to listen I go vinyl

Back