So this is the new Genesis

Thats the same basic design as the old Genesis 1000 and earlier grills. Just modernized. I imagine it won't be a whole lot more accurate.

To my eye, this thing is just plain ugly. I don't find anything about it appealing. Certainly not those huge dials. They all look plastic, especially that Santa sleigh red one. The whole grill looks clunky. Stainless would be kind of cool if it meant anything. If it pointed to real quality or a grill that was likely to last. Sadly, neither of those assumptions would be accurate.
Well, I didn't say that I really LIKED the new one, just that I am getting a little more used to it.

I am a history buff. One of my favorite parts of history is the Cold War, and I enjoy the docudrama that was made years ago called the Missiles of October. Although more has become known since it was made back in the 70s, I love the switching back and forth from Washington to Moscow. Early on, it shows Krushchev meeting with the Presidium. He tells a story about a farmer who has to move his smelly cow into the house because of the extreme cold. The farmer doesn't like it, but he gets used to it. Krushchev tells the Presidium, "Kennedy won't like the missiles, but he will get used to them!"

Sorry for the history ramble, but I think that is the way it will be regarding this new Genesis. We will get used to it. I think younger buyers will actually LIKE it. Whether they will fork over the much higher price for a "Tech" Weber vs. a similar looking but much cheaper Charbroil is probably the question that keeps the Weber execs up these nights.

For me, I will stick with classic early Webers. I have to admit, though, that suddenly the Genesis II looks a lot more mainstream and like a real Weber than it did a few weeks ago :coolkettle: . See, I have gotten used to IT!

The insides of that grill look just like the previous generation, but right before they start rusting out. As long as you know what you're in for I guess. I just think a $1,000 grill should be built to last. Other than that, I'm sure it still cooks better than most of the other stuff on the market.

I think it would be interesting if we could pull up old comments on Weber when they went from the original design to the front control burner orientation. Seems we still have not gotten over that.

I think it would be interesting if we could pull up old comments on Weber when they went from the original design to the front control burner orientation. Seems we still have not gotten over that.
I know I haven't. IMO they went to the "dark" side

Well, it is generally believed that Weber is marketing to the younger crowd. They usually have better eye sight.
This is kind of self-evident, but I never really looked at it that way. Grill marketing in a nutshell - Young folks buy nice grills, older folks buy replacement parts.

I personally can't begin to justify the $800 or so cost of a new Weber grill but that much in parts/tanks/covers/accessories/propane over a decade or two seems like a routine expense.

This was linked to me in an email from Weber:

Kind of funny the comments how expensive it is or I would not spend that the Weber Gas Grills were never inexpensive it was always a select buyer. Here is a price list from 1999 Chris put together. A 1000 listed for $569 which in todays dollars would be roughly $900 bucks.

You can argue about the quality then and now but that is true for alot of stuff.

This was linked to me in an email from Weber:

I got that link too. Looks like all the models now have the sear station. Judging from the warranty. they have little faith in their electronics.

Also looks like there is only one Spirit model with a sear station now. Perhaps there will now be more definition between the lines.

There really needs to be. Not only in features and design, but price as well.
You are right there. $729 for the Spirit E-330 with sear vs $899 for the new Genesis will kill the Spirit sales. The starting price of open-cart Spirits at $499 and cabinet models at $599 for 3 burner models would be a nice price gap.

Ok, if I had to provide a couple positives one would be all that expandable real estate on the upper deck. It might be good for doing wings without burning or flipping them. Another would be that I already have a Spirit II:cool:

And as others have said about the closed-cabinet frame, it’s a rust bucket waiting to happen.

Last edited:
Is it just me, or is that new grease management system just the older grease management system?

Back