So this is the new Genesis

Nope. Is there anything significant about it? Other than being electric.
It's the contrast between the two. Polar opposites.

Attachments

• 2022-tesla-cyber-truck-mmp-1-1579127142.jpg
    2022-tesla-cyber-truck-mmp-1-1579127142.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
The thing of it is, that price tag for some people is like the price tag of a new cordless drill driver for most of the rest of us. If they built a million of those and sold out already, then I would really shake my head.

Yep, it's just nuts with the car prices now. I was at home dumpo a few days ago with our 2002 Toyota 4runner. When I came out there was a guy looking at it and when I walked up to it he started asking me questions about it. Apparently, he had one a long time ago and was looking to get another one for a second car. I told him it wasn't for sale, and I also mentioned that it had 210,000 miles on it. He said that was low mileage for its age. He gave me his card and said if I changed my mind to give him a call, he would give me $10K for it if I changed my mind.
I paid $2500 for it six years ago and now it's the work car for Barb, dog hauler and home dumpo express. It runs perfect no leaks, squeaks and everything except the back window wiper works perfectly.
It isn't going anywhere.

Rich people, bragging rights etc. have allowed Tesla, Rivian, Lucid to sell overpriced vehicles. Rich early adopters will always be around. For the masses-they need to make the prices reasonable.

Yep. And I would never buy the 1st year of any major redesign of a vehicle. And in the case of those major technology trucks I would not buy one for probably 5 years even if I wanted one. We saw what happened with the smoke fire. Having to go through several major upgrades and updates before they got it anywhere close to right.

Note from Moderator: Please see this closely related thread for additional 2022 Genesis gas grill info and photos:

OK, I went to a Lowes an hour from me hoping to wrangle a deal on a SmokeFire based on half price deals in other parts of the country. In spite of posted Lowes stickers, no such luck.

However, my trip wasn’t entirely a waste as this Lowes had the new Genesis “Tech” E-325 on display.

View attachment 42276

To be honest, I was underwhelmed. Whether you like the more futuristic tech look I guess is a matter of taste. This one did not have the off-centered look our friend in Europe posted of theirs. The tank is now again underneath, whereas I am guessing that may not be the case for the European model.

View attachment 42277

Several things are a reversal of what I did like about the Genesis II: No large wheels, just 4 casters. @Dave in KC is correct that the regular ones are just like in the SmokeFire - kind of small. The pair with locks are different with large plastic toe steps.
View attachment 42279
I hate to see the tank back under the firebox, the apparent elimination of the open cart option. The thing that I was most disappointed in was the thin, large sheets of stainless for the shelves and the unbelievably thin aluminum in the firebox.

View attachment 42280
The Genesis II grills - particularly the open cart ones - are looking better all the time. Hopefully this new model will drive down the prices of used Genesis II grills. Personally, I still would rather have a classic old Genesis.
Lowes by me has one on the floor like this.

I like my 2016 E330 better from styling fit and feel.

Yep, it's just nuts with the car prices now. I was at home dumpo a few days ago with our 2002 Toyota 4runner. When I came out there was a guy looking at it and when I walked up to it he started asking me questions about it. Apparently, he had one a long time ago and was looking to get another one for a second car. I told him it wasn't for sale, and I also mentioned that it had 210,000 miles on it. He said that was low mileage for its age. He gave me his card and said if I changed my mind to give him a call, he would give me $10K for it if I changed my mind.
I paid $2500 for it six years ago and now it's the work car for Barb, dog hauler and home dumpo express. It runs perfect no leaks, squeaks and everything except the back window wiper works perfectly.
It isn't going anywhere.
I’ve had that happen. I have a 2002 Tacoma 4X4 with 68,000 original miles, me being the second owner.

Getting the discussion back on track...

My local Lowe's finally has a Genesis S-325s on the sales floor. It looks about like I expected...but the tank scale is sooooooo tiny and cheesy.

IMG_3566.JPG

IMG_3568.JPG

I have never found mech use for them aside from holding the tank. I don't trust them.

My local Lowe's finally has a Genesis S-325s on the sales floor. It looks about like I expected...but the tank scale is sooooooo tiny and cheesy.

View attachment 43657

View attachment 43658
I didn't even notice that tank gauge and decal when I looked at my first one. I am kind of with Bruce in that I see them only as a rough guide. I would like to see what they are using inside to move the red arrow. It doesn't look promising...

Then, there is that $1,029 price for one that doesn't even have the built-in electronics. Looks to me like it potentially might be a tough sell. Even so, I am at least getting a little more used to the new style. I still like classic Weber grills better, but for younger people I get that this minimalist, tech look is what they like.

I posted on another thread that I saw the accessory tray that sits low in the firebox being sold as a separate accessory. The box said it would fit Genesis grills going back to 2016. That means you can retrofit a Genesis II with the new accessories.

View attachment 43657

View attachment 43658
To my eye, this thing is just plain ugly. I don't find anything about it appealing. Certainly not those huge dials. They all look plastic, especially that Santa sleigh red one. The whole grill looks clunky. Stainless would be kind of cool if it meant anything. If it pointed to real quality or a grill that was likely to last. Sadly, neither of those assumptions would be accurate.

I’m sure I am just biased, but I think Weber put a nail in the Genesis coffin with this one. Not to get off the subject again, but is it that Weber sees the genesis like the auto industry sees sedans, as undesirable? Almost everyone is going to pellet grills and SUVs.

Gas grills are not going anywhere anytime soon, but with the plethora of other grill styles and platforms coming out, the market will be cut into. I have yet to see a new Genesis in person, so I won't bash it too bad. But my first impressions are not real positive at this point.

I would like to see what they are using inside to move the red arrow. It doesn't look promising...

Jon, it's shown in your original photo. There's a typical tank scale on the left, but connected to the bottom of it is a red armature that extends through the space between the grill frame and the left door, terminating in the little red arrow seen outside the grill.

4EED7B9B-2D68-4A5F-A31A-A9544BC5E1D3.jpeg

Back