So this is the new Genesis

That pretty much sums it up...I don't think a thermostatically controlled gas grill can be produced in this price range. A gas-fired appliance requires a standing pilot that would be prone to blowing out in an outdoor environment, or a piezo or glow bar igniter that would likely require AC power...but either ignition method requires a complex valve that determines whether the pilot is hot enough via thermocouple before the valve is permitted to open. If such a thermostatically controlled gas grill were introduced, it would definitely be on the most expensive grills in the lineup.
Char-Broil is introducing one this spring, exclusive to Lowe’s. $700. Price range.

Would it be simpler to variably control the gas flow rather than just turning off and on the burners like an oven?

Bill posted a picture of it in Bruce's "I'll just leave it here" thread. It looked just as nice as a new Genesis, maybe nicer. It did indeed have a knob for dialing in temperature.

Bill posted a picture of it in Bruce's "I'll just leave it here" thread. It looked just as nice as a new Genesis, maybe nicer. It did indeed have a knob for dialing in temperature.
Found it...a Char-Broil Amplifire Cruise. There are some pictures at Lowe's even though it's not available yet, but very affordable at $699 MSRP.

Would it be simpler to variably control the gas flow rather than just turning off and on the burners like an oven?
Well, I think the simpler and cheaper method is to turn the gas off and on than to try to vary it. With something like an oven or a grill that is relatively quick to heat up and slow to cool down, and where you don't need precise heat control, you could still turn the gas off and on to control the temp, and while the temperature would oscillate it wouldn't be enough to affect anything.

Well, I think the simpler and cheaper method is to turn the gas off and on than to try to vary it. With something like an oven or a grill that is relatively quick to heat up and slow to cool down, and where you don't need precise heat control, you could still turn the gas off and on to control the temp, and while the temperature would oscillate it wouldn't be enough to affect anything.
I would have to think that a grill would have have pretty good seals on it as a regular grill would cool down too quick creating a lot of on/off cycling.

I would have to think that a grill would have have pretty good seals on it as a regular grill would cool down too quick creating a lot of on/off cycling.
Bruce, I bought a gateway for my Smoke on BF this year and did a rib roast indoors with the wall oven with it. I could see the swing between on and off as it was going along but now looking at it over the entirety of the cook (2h48m I think) the swings are not as apparent. But if you watch is as it goes along you can see that it heats up faster than it cools down...indoors.

But what you say is true, I think, especially if it's raining or snowing or windy outdoors. So they very possibly could vary the valve for an outdoor gas-fired appliance, but is it continuously variable or varied by duty cycle (switching it off and on)? It will be interesting to find out as more details become available.

Last edited:
I like my analog gas grill.
I do too. I'm only looking at it from the standpoint of if I were to buy a brand new grill. It wouldn't be an automatic "go buy another Weber" decision. I would take a look everything on the market first because I don't necessarily trust Weber's quality like I used to.

I posted some info on interesting features I learned while reviewing the BILT assembly instructions for 2022 Genesis grills.

I've also published my blog post on the new Weber CRAFTED Outdoor Kitchen Collection, a new accessories system for 2022 Genesis grills and someday other Weber grills and smokers.

I posted some info on interesting features I learned while reviewing the BILT assembly instructions for 2022 Genesis grills.

I've also published my blog post on the new Weber CRAFTED Outdoor Kitchen Collection, a new accessories system for 2022 Genesis grills and someday other Weber grills and smokers.

Thank Chris. The one thing I don't see is what grade of steel it is made out of. I am hoping 304 and not the crap they usually make the warming rack out of.

Yah, they should not use the "Silverado" name on that thing. Those will be used as grocery getters.

Back