So this is the new Genesis

We bought our first Toyota in 1987, a Camry. We have owned nothing but Toyotas since until we traded the Highlander for a 2020 Subaru Outback. It seems to be every bit the quality on the Toyotas. Of course, Toyota owns a big stake in them.

To keep on topic, I could fit a new Genesis grill in the back
It seems with the Subaru's the problems kick in after the warranty ends. They are great but the longevity of parts does not match Toyota's. My first Subaru had a diff lock button and when engaged all 4 wheels where locked and could and did go through anything. I pulled other 4WDs that were stuck. You could not engage it on dry pavement or the wheels would jump when turning because there was no slippage. I actually bought that when I could not drive my Supra with RWD in the snow as it kept getting stuck even with meaty snow tires and hundreds of lbs of cat litter in the back;-)

I suppose millennials that go for more spartan, tech-oriented appearances might find find this new grill’s minimalist look something to their liking. Those same buyers probably don’t have any interest at all in refurbishing and keeping their grills going for a decade, let alone two.

EDIT:
I showed pictures of this new Genesis to my Millenial son, an IT support tech for American Express. He thought it looked good - like today’s refrigerators he said. Maybe Weber’s designers know more than we think.🧐
^^
This guy gets it.

It seems with the Subaru's the problems kick in after the warranty ends. They are great but the longevity of parts does not match Toyota's.
I know that 8-10 years ago they had head gasket leaks and the engines have been redesigned. The 2020 engine is supposed to be 90% new parts. They sold me the 8 year warranty at a really good price, so I am not worried much. Do not drive much since retirement and less since Covid. No recalls on mine yet except electronics software updates.

That riveted band on the new Genesis looks like an after thought and decorative rather than actually attaching anything.

I know that 8-10 years ago they had head gasket leaks and the engines have been redesigned. The 2020 engine is supposed to be 90% new parts. They sold me the 8 year warranty at a really good price, so I am not worried much. Do not drive much since retirement and less since Covid. No recalls on mine yet except electronics software updates.
I would really hope that the engine on a new Subaru would be 100% new parts vs 90%;-)

That riveted band on the new Genesis looks like an after thought and decorative rather than actually attaching anything.
It is definitely not cosmetic or decorative as you can only see it if you take the lid apart.

Cooking on that warming rack will likely have it rusting out in double the time it would normally.

What is that scraper thingy laying on the grates next to the owners manual?
That scraper is one Weber designed for use on the Q model fireboxes. The long slightly flexible handle enables you scrape the sides between the side and the burner. I have had one for a few years and it works well but I do only use it on the Q’s.

I only left rental about 4 years ago. While better than anything with Chevy, Ford or Chrysler nameplate the Korean twins just don't cut it. I certainly would never buy an electrified one (hybrid or full on electric). If I was buying a beater with a heater yeah maybe I would buy any of the above names. But if I am paying "good" $$$ only Toyota or Honda. We did not see many Mazda vehicles. But the ones we did see really showed no major issues except for the 5. I think it was one of the most hated next to the Dodge Journey LOL or the infamous Chrysler 200. The sad thing about all the American Marques is many of them really did drive well. Especially the Dodge Charger/Challenger and the Chrysler 300s. Sadly most of them could not make it to their first oil change without having to be "shopped" for weeks at a time.
The major things with Nissan (the stupid Jatco CVT) did not really start coming to light until they had some miles on them. But, because they were programmed to "grenade" starting at 40k miles you never saw a Nissan in the fleet with more than 25k :D
Only negative I can give Toyota was the carpeting. Actually it was an issue on all the Asian cars. Awful stuff. Which is why on our new RAV4 I opted to buy the "winter" package with came with fully fitted WeatherGuard matts all over. Plus I bought those for my Highlander.
My father-in-law has a 2003 Sonata with close to 300,000 miles that's still going strong, and he drives his cars hard. My dad has had a whole series of Kias, prior to which he was a Lexus guy. Not sure how Kia won him over but he's loyal. He plans to buy their new electric SUV as soon as he can get his hands on one in a color he can tolerate. The dealer called and offered him one in yellow but he passed.

In my dad's case, it's not evidence of longevity, as he trades in his car every year or two. My in-laws live hand to mouth, carefully allocating every dollar. His experience is just one anecdote but I know he would not hesitate to buy another Hyundai. I believe they came out with the 100k warranty in 2002, which was a significant expression of faith that they had overcome earlier problems.

The level of tech in electrified vehicles is staggering. And spending north of 35 or 40k I would only trust Toyota or Honda. Not even Tesla. My son in law and daughter have a Model Y Tesla on order. Glad he has the coin to buy a close to 100k car :D I will see how it works out for them. But given how poorly they hold value as used MEH
Same with the Korean twins. Value falls off like a rock. There is a reason Toyota and Honda vehicles hold so much value. Glad he's having luck and you as well. But my experience with them is yeah long warranty (if you can actually get the dealers to honor it). Many folks I know have had issues there. And like a BIC lighter they're made more "disposable".
I have always said after being in the rental car industry is it's the best torture tests. As 20k in a rental fleet is like 100k in real world. I've seen up close and personal what rental customers do. One reason I would NEVER EVER buy a used rental vehicle.

I am sure Weber is hoping for a better reaction than the general panning this new Genesis is getting here. However, I think a good many of us are not in the target demographic.

I suppose millennials that go for more spartan, tech-oriented appearances might find find this new grill’s minimalist look something to their liking. Those same buyers probably don’t have any interest at all in refurbishing and keeping their grills going for a decade, let alone two.
I listened to a podcast in which an East Coast Weber distributor was interviewed about these new grills. Definitely targeting the millennials. Stated that 40M millennials will be turning 35 years old in the coming 10 years and not only are they very comfortable with technology, but they expect it and more likely to purchase when they see technology integrated into a product.

It's a brave new world, folks! :)

As long as I can keep my Jurrasic grills going another 20 years, I don't really care too much about the newer grills. The auto industry has gone that route now and it looks like the grill market is just in the starting stages. I agree, a grill ten years from now won't look or operate anything like the ones we have now. And if you don't have a smartphone with an app, you probably won't even be able to light it.

As long as I can keep my Jurrasic grills going another 20 years, I don't really care too much about the newer grills. The auto industry has gone that route now and it looks like the grill market is just in the starting stages. I agree, a grill ten years from now won't look or operate anything like the ones we have now. And if you don't have a smartphone with an app, you probably won't even be able to light it.
I agree. But I still can't figure out why no one has come out with a thermostatically controlled gas grill? Every gas oven and heater has the technology. Even pellet poopers and gravity coal droppers have it.

I agree. But I still can't figure out why no one has come out with a thermostatically controlled gas grill? Every gas oven and heater has the technology. Even pellet poopers and gravity coal droppers have it.
Char-Broil has, coming out this spring, exclusive to Lowe’s

Attachments

• E2F45F13-0631-439D-84D5-0F70C98ACAB4.png
    E2F45F13-0631-439D-84D5-0F70C98ACAB4.png
    398.6 KB · Views: 15
Sounds good if it is not a pile of rust in 2-3 years. Weber should pay attention.
Yes, this seems to be the natural progression for gas grills, as it is with pellet grills and gravity feed charcoal smokers. I'm sure Weber is on this track, but they've missed being first with this new technology. The least expensive 2022 Genesis grill with built-in Weber Connect is $1079 and it doesn't include this thermostatic control, vs. $699 for this Char-Broil. I can imagine Weber putting this on even more expensive grills like highest end Genesis and a (finally) redesigned Summit.

Just not seeing the charm of the new Weber. I'm the last person who would claim expertise as I'm new to all of this. But in a way that can be helpful. My outsider's eye is drawn to the Jurrasic grills, to borrow Bruce's term. These new ones do nothing for me.

Back