So this is the new Genesis

OK, I went to a Lowes an hour from me hoping to wrangle a deal on a SmokeFire based on half price deals in other parts of the country. In spite of posted Lowes stickers, no such luck.

However, my trip wasn’t entirely a waste as this Lowes had the new Genesis “Tech” E-325 on display.

View attachment 42276

To be honest, I was underwhelmed. Whether you like the more futuristic tech look I guess is a matter of taste. This one did not have the off-centered look our friend in Europe posted of theirs. The tank is now again underneath, whereas I am guessing that may not be the case for the European model.

View attachment 42277

Several things are a reversal of what I did like about the Genesis II: No large wheels, just 4 casters. @Dave in KC is correct that the regular ones are just like in the SmokeFire - kind of small. The pair with locks are different with large plastic toe steps.
View attachment 42279
I hate to see the tank back under the firebox, the apparent elimination of the open cart option. The thing that I was most disappointed in was the thin, large sheets of stainless for the shelves and the unbelievably thin aluminum in the firebox.

View attachment 42280
The Genesis II grills - particularly the open cart ones - are looking better all the time. Hopefully this new model will drive down the prices of used Genesis II grills. Personally, I still would rather have a classic old Genesis.
Think that I will stick with my E330 and Gold B.........

I'll stick with my recently refurbished 2014 Spirit 210 and 2003 Broilmaster P3gy-1...and our 2016 Lexus RX and ES. Although, still have a 2009 Lincoln MKX in the family that's been rock solid.
Don't know what Weber is aiming for here but Napoleon is starting to look like a better option in a new grill.

For years and years, the same thing had happened in the American car market. In the 1950s, Cadillac could still make claim to being the best tooled vehicle on the road with superior features, fit and finish. By the time the Japanese stormed our shores in the late "60's, they were just Chevrolets with a fancy name plate and the sheet metal on the outside bent in a distinctly Cadillac style.
Actually this is not true (to a point). I worked for Cadillac in the late 60's at a large factory owned dealer in downtown Chicago. Those Caddy's were still the best. The real drop in quality came in 1973 model year. I noticed fit and finish, engine performance and overall quality went into the toilet.
As for American "branded" vehicles today? Yeah I guess they may be slightly better than the dark times but there still is not one I would pay a plugged nickel for. Not one. Nor are there any Korean brands I would either. After retiring from United I took a part time gig with National/Alamo/Enterprise rental. I saw how really bad the American brands were. Many, especially Chrysler products could not run through their very first rental without being towed back to us! The Chrysler products were the absolute pits. We'd get brand new off the truck. And by 200 miles on the clock they were towed to the dealer and never to be seen again for over a month at a time. The GMs and Fords were a little better but still garbage. Many Buicks made in China, many of the others made in Mexico. The Korean brands were not far behind in their "junkness". The interiors being so cheaply made that by the time they had a couple thousand miles they took on a certain "patina" :D that gave off a smell and look you did not forget.
Now as bad as Nissan stuff is I have to give them credit as they actually held up as well as Toyota's for the rental periods we had them. (typically up to 35k to 40k miles before being sold off. The GM and Chrysler stuff they could not keep that long. Being sold off many times before 15k.
One thing being a rental does is it sure shows their flaws quickly.

Jon did you get a good look at those grates? Are they some kind of stamped porcelain coated tin foil or something?
I should have looked closer, but they appeared to be the same thinner cast iron as the basic Genesis II grills have. The one big change inside was the upper rack (probably nickel chrome plated) that now folds out to make a large second cooking area. I also think it might actually be possible to swap out the inner liner, but I am willing to bet Weber won’t sell you that by itself.

2C719FDD-81B1-4772-945A-6D4A32DFD948.jpeg

FCAA158E-A757-45C1-BD63-402820527D8D.jpeg
06FB448D-CBE2-49F0-90EA-E018699ADCC5.jpeg

Attachments

• FCAA158E-A757-45C1-BD63-402820527D8D.jpeg
    FCAA158E-A757-45C1-BD63-402820527D8D.jpeg
    146.2 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Cooking on that warming rack will likely have it rusting out in double the time it would normally.

What is that scraper thingy laying on the grates next to the owners manual?

I should have looked closer, but they appeared to be the same thinner cast iron as the basic Genesis II grills have. The one big change inside was the upper rack (probably nickel chrome plated) that now folds out to make a large second cooking area. I also think it might actually be possible to swap out the inner liner, but I am willing to bet Weber won’t sell you that by itself.

View attachment 42325
Aha, it looked too small to be CI, but I guess that's what it is, thanks for clarifying. Not sure how I feel about that top rack, I just leave the hanging basket in my lid I don't use the analogue of that rack in my 2000.

Those lower racks on the Silver Bs and 1000 grills just get in the way until they finally rust out and get thrown away. I am not sure if the rack will be any different in the new grills or not.

Those lower racks on the Silver Bs and 1000 grills just get in the way until they finally rust out and get thrown away. I am not sure if the rack will be any different in the new grills or not.
Mine just sits in the basement. Perhaps I should just throw it away!

It if isn't getting in the way, no real need to toss it unless you want to get rid of clutter. You may find a use for it some day. But, yah, a lot of people take them out soon after buying their grills because they are always in the way. They just stick them in the corner of the garage until they are found 7 years later.

I used to occasionally throw something on that rear rack in my Silver B, but never used that hanging rack. I can see why that was dropped.

Cooking on that warming rack will likely have it rusting out in double the time it would normally.

What is that scraper thingy laying on the grates next to the owners manual?
Looks to me like a scraper for the grates that is intended to keep you from chipping off the porcelain.

That’s a good deal. If I get a new NG for my island project, I’d most likely buy a Blaze. It’s 304 SS and IMO is a more durable and better quality than Weber. I’d be hard pressed to buy any Weber gasser if I was in today’s market. With my last Summit’s box burn-through, I couldn’t see spending $3k on such a product.
Brett - I will confirm this, but I think my best bud's new island gasser is a Blaze. He's had it about a year and so far really likes it. I've seared up a few steaks on it and it's a pretty solid grill - equal to or better than Weber's best. I'll circle back to confirm when I get a chance.

Brett - I will confirm this, but I think my best bud's new island gasser is a Blaze. He's had it about a year and so far really likes it. I've seared up a few steaks on it and it's a pretty solid grill - equal to or better than Weber's best. I'll circle back to confirm when I get a chance.
Thank you very much. I’m seeking real world feedback on Blaze’s grills. Even though I haven’t used my current Summit in 6+ months, I do think I have a need for simple NG quick grilling. And all that 304 looks like durable goods.

Thank you very much. I’m seeking real world feedback on Blaze’s grills. Even though I haven’t used my current Summit in 6+ months, I do think I have a need for simple NG quick grilling. And all that 304 looks like durable goods.
The firebox on the Blaze is 443 not 304. I just did some research and that seems to be ok. Lifetime warranty is a plus

Back