So this is the new Genesis

Those lower racks on the Silver Bs and 1000 grills just get in the way until they finally rust out and get thrown away. I am not sure if the rack will be any different in the new grills or not.
They do rust out for sure, but I actually use mine pretty regularly. I've also taken it off because it sometimes does get in the way so a flip up one makes sense to me at least.

They do rust out for sure, but I actually use mine pretty regularly. I've also taken it off because it sometimes does get in the way so a flip up one makes sense to me at least.
Everybody has their preferences!

I think everybody just cooks their own way too, so different configurations and things just work for some people and for others they don't.

I'm going to grill some meatballs today!

THyde: I think it is basically the same as the old warming racks except that it folds out to make a bigger warming rack. I think it will probably still get in the way as did the others.

Everybody has their preferences!

I think everybody just cooks their own way too, so different configurations and things just work for some people and for others they don't.

I'm going to grill some meatballs today!
That's true. I think we would all be surprised seeing each other actually cook on our grills. I'll bet we all do it somewhat differently.

That's true. I think we would all be surprised seeing each other actually cook on our grills. I'll bet we all do it somewhat differently.
If anybody else is cooking, I just make myself the beer fetcher. I don't like other people messing with my cooking, so I don't do that to other people either. Yes, everybody cooks differently!

If anybody else is cooking, I just make myself the beer fetcher. I don't like other people messing with my cooking, so I don't do that to other people either. Yes, everybody cooks differently!
For sure, that's one of the unwritten rules! I consider even asking if I can help an insult 🙂

For sure, that's one of the unwritten rules! I consider even asking if I can help an insult 🙂
If somebody picks up the lid, I look at them and say, "do you want to do it?" If they say yes, I ask them if they need a beer. If they hesitate, I say "I got it"

Yah, I guess I am pretty much the same. But, it wouldn't bother me to have have someone ask if they can help. Sometimes an extra hand is great or they can go fetch the seasoning while you tend the steaks and then help you carry all the food back in when it is done. But the actual grilling would be hard to let go of.

THyde: I think it is basically the same as the old warming racks except that it folds out to make a bigger warming rack. I think it will probably still get in the way as did the others.
Seems it will get more in the way.

For years and years, the same thing had happened in the American car market. In the 1950s, Cadillac could still make claim to being the best tooled vehicle on the road with superior features, fit and finish. By the time the Japanese stormed our shores in the late "60's, they were just Chevrolets with a fancy name plate and the sheet metal on the outside bent in a distinctly Cadillac style.
Actually this is not true (to a point). I worked for Cadillac in the late 60's at a large factory owned dealer in downtown Chicago. Those Caddy's were still the best. The real drop in quality came in 1973 model year. I noticed fit and finish, engine performance and overall quality went into the toilet.
As for American "branded" vehicles today? Yeah I guess they may be slightly better than the dark times but there still is not one I would pay a plugged nickel for. Not one. Nor are there any Korean brands I would either. After retiring from United I took a part time gig with National/Alamo/Enterprise rental. I saw how really bad the American brands were. Many, especially Chrysler products could not run through their very first rental without being towed back to us! The Chrysler products were the absolute pits. We'd get brand new off the truck. And by 200 miles on the clock they were towed to the dealer and never to be seen again for over a month at a time. The GMs and Fords were a little better but still garbage. Many Buicks made in China, many of the others made in Mexico. The Korean brands were not far behind in their "junkness". The interiors being so cheaply made that by the time they had a couple thousand miles they took on a certain "patina" :D that gave off a smell and look you did not forget.
Now as bad as Nissan stuff is I have to give them credit as they actually held up as well as Toyota's for the rental periods we had them. (typically up to 35k to 40k miles before being sold off. The GM and Chrysler stuff they could not keep that long. Being sold off many times before 15k.
One thing being a rental does is it sure shows their flaws quickly.
From what I can see, the Koreans have come a long way. At one time, they weren't well made or reliable (probably when you worked in the rental industry) and I still don't think they're up to Toyota or Honda standards. But who is? Not Mazda. Not Nissan. In terms of bang for the buck, I think it's hard to beat Kia and Hyundai. Both make cars that routinely run 200k to 300k miles with few problems along the way.

My wife drives a 2013 Lexus RX-350 that's been super reliable. Only has 75k miles and so I imagine my 7 year old son may learn to drive on it. Perhaps, God willing, it will be the car he takes to college. I have a 2008 Mazda MX-5 that I love. Particularly that I can drive it like a race car and then look down at the spedometer and I'm doing 40. Way more fun than my last car, a BMW that would have thrashed in on the track but in real life just delivered speeding tickets or borind crusies around town. As the old addage goes, way more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow. Electric cars are the future but someone's gonna have to pry my cold dead fingers off the steering wheel of my Miata. Don't know what I'll do without a stick shift.

Looks like they're releasing an updated kettle to match:

That new Genesis has no style, no personality. Looks like something you'd but by the dozens to stick your logo on as a corporate gift or trade in for your Chuck E. Cheese points.

I only left rental about 4 years ago. While better than anything with Chevy, Ford or Chrysler nameplate the Korean twins just don't cut it. I certainly would never buy an electrified one (hybrid or full on electric). If I was buying a beater with a heater yeah maybe I would buy any of the above names. But if I am paying "good" $$$ only Toyota or Honda. We did not see many Mazda vehicles. But the ones we did see really showed no major issues except for the 5. I think it was one of the most hated next to the Dodge Journey LOL or the infamous Chrysler 200. The sad thing about all the American Marques is many of them really did drive well. Especially the Dodge Charger/Challenger and the Chrysler 300s. Sadly most of them could not make it to their first oil change without having to be "shopped" for weeks at a time.
The major things with Nissan (the stupid Jatco CVT) did not really start coming to light until they had some miles on them. But, because they were programmed to "grenade" starting at 40k miles you never saw a Nissan in the fleet with more than 25k :D
Only negative I can give Toyota was the carpeting. Actually it was an issue on all the Asian cars. Awful stuff. Which is why on our new RAV4 I opted to buy the "winter" package with came with fully fitted WeatherGuard matts all over. Plus I bought those for my Highlander.

I only left rental about 4 years ago. While better than anything with Chevy, Ford or Chrysler nameplate the Korean twins just don't cut it. I certainly would never buy an electrified one (hybrid or full on electric). If I was buying a beater with a heater yeah maybe I would buy any of the above names. But if I am paying "good" $$$ only Toyota or Honda. We did not see many Mazda vehicles. But the ones we did see really showed no major issues except for the 5. I think it was one of the most hated next to the Dodge Journey LOL or the infamous Chrysler 200. The sad thing about all the American Marques is many of them really did drive well. Especially the Dodge Charger/Challenger and the Chrysler 300s. Sadly most of them could not make it to their first oil change without having to be "shopped" for weeks at a time.
The major things with Nissan (the stupid Jatco CVT) did not really start coming to light until they had some miles on them. But, because they were programmed to "grenade" starting at 40k miles you never saw a Nissan in the fleet with more than 25k :D
Only negative I can give Toyota was the carpeting. Actually it was an issue on all the Asian cars. Awful stuff. Which is why on our new RAV4 I opted to buy the "winter" package with came with fully fitted WeatherGuard matts all over. Plus I bought those for my Highlander.
I came from an Oldsmobile family. We had 88's and Cutlasses mostly. My mom was the first to break ranks and traded a Cutlass for a 82 Toyota Supra! Then my dad traded a Cadillac for a Toyota Cressida. When I got my first computer job I went for a 83 Supra. We never went back to American cars to this day. We now have a Prius V and a Sienna. The last Sienna had 265K miles and still ran fine. I have been temped over the years by different "American" cars and can't bring myself to buy one as we have had so few issues with our Toyotas. For a while when I lived in New England we had Subaru's but after a while they all needed expensive work. Their Y pipes would always rust out and as my first one got 35 MPG our last one 85 outback only got 17 MPG. We went back to Toyotas.

We bought our first Toyota in 1987, a Camry. We have owned nothing but Toyotas since until we traded the Highlander for a 2020 Subaru Outback. It seems to be every bit the quality on the Toyotas. Of course, Toyota owns a big stake in them.

To keep on topic, I could fit a new Genesis grill in the back

Back