So this is the new Genesis

The lid looks more like the older Weber Genesis. More squared off. Maybe they were going for a retro look.

While I entirely agree with your point on home appliances, I think the automotive comparison is a little more complicated. I think the dark days of poor American quality has long passed and I don't believe any of the foreign manufacturers are ahead there. That being said, American car manufacturers did erode their brands due to a lazy attitude towards innovation and quality. I can also remember when Japanese, and Korean cars for that matter, were garbage and people just bought them because they were cheap. I'm not slamming them, American car manufacturers still do things that aggravate me to no end, but I'm under no delusion that their products are superior at this point in time.

We've been fortunate that there's been no significant consolidation in the automobile market.
The entire auto industry has been consolidated with only a few companies controlling many brands. VW is huge, GM is huge, Ford is still just Ford, Nissan is part of a conglomerate, Chrysler too. BMW is still a single brand company. Honda and Toyota are still solo with multiple brands. Hyundai and Kia are related. That majority of cars share the same technology across their brands. Just the outside dress is a little different.

Yah, I thought "that must be a spirit". It looks cheap.
Those wheels are going to be a problem. I can just see me going out in January to grill and stepping on one of those plastic stops when it is -5 degrees. If those things get used even occasionally, they will break on nearly every grill within a few years.

I will be interested to see one in person. I suppose they will hit most store floors after the new year.

E325 last years model has sear without side burner.View attachment 42296
That’s a good deal. If I get a new NG for my island project, I’d most likely buy a Blaze. It’s 304 SS and IMO is a more durable and better quality than Weber. I’d be hard pressed to buy any Weber gasser if I was in today’s market. With my last Summit’s box burn-through, I couldn’t see spending $3k on such a product.

Yah, I thought "that must be a spirit". It looks cheap.
Those wheels are going to be a problem. I can just see me going out in January to grill and stepping on one of those plastic stops when it is -5 degrees. If those things get used even occasionally, they will break on nearly every grill within a few years.

I will be interested to see one in person. I suppose they will hit most store floors after the new year.
Check the Lowes app. My local store shows 3 of these new ones in stock already.

Sure is. My Japanese Subaru Outback is built in the USA, while the the American Buick Envision is made in China. Go figure.
I had the "opportunity" to examine and drive a Buick Envision. It was every bit the piece of junk I expected it to be. The real problem is that after we spend enough time teaching them to build cars, they won't be.

I am sure Weber is hoping for a better reaction than the general panning this new Genesis is getting here. However, I think a good many of us are not in the target demographic.

I suppose millennials that go for more spartan, tech-oriented appearances might find find this new grill’s minimalist look something to their liking. Those same buyers probably don’t have any interest at all in refurbishing and keeping their grills going for a decade, let alone two.

EDIT:
I showed pictures of this new Genesis to my Millenial son, an IT support tech for American Express. He thought it looked good - like today’s refrigerators he said. Maybe Weber’s designers know more than we think.🧐

Last edited:
Yah, it looks like they are going more for a seamless, all one piece look. Rather than a lid, a cook box and shelves all bolted together. What bothers me the most is that cabinet. It looks like those cheap Spirit grills form the mid 2000's. Besides looks, I am not confident that they did anything to prevent the rust problem that those old grills suffered from.

Last edited:
More views from Weber. Looks even cheaper to me.

Yah, it looks like they are going more for a seamless, all one piece look. Rather than a lid, a cook box and shelves all bolted together. What bothers me the most is that cabinet. It looks like those cheap Spirit grills form the mid 2000's. Besides looks, I am not confident that they did anything to prevent the rust problem that those old grills suffered from.
I definitely didn’t see any evidence of that.
8B7ACB27-0E65-4921-85F8-4AA792B904EE.jpeg
7D776ADA-25D9-4B1A-99C1-EB0579D68701.jpeg

While I entirely agree with your point on home appliances, I think the automotive comparison is a little more complicated. I think the dark days of poor American quality has long passed and I don't believe any of the foreign manufacturers are ahead there. That being said, American car manufacturers did erode their brands due to a lazy attitude towards innovation and quality. I can also remember when Japanese, and Korean cars for that matter, were garbage and people just bought them because they were cheap. I'm not slamming them, American car manufacturers still do things that aggravate me to no end, but I'm under no delusion that their products are superior at this point in time.
Steve, I believe that American cars are lightyears beyond where they were in, say, the late 1970s when they hit rock bottom garbage status. That said, I think the Japanese (particularly Honda and Toyota) continue to be a few steps ahead. Part of that probably relates to culture and part is a difference in views of the roles and responsibilities of corporations in a society. The Japanese see themselves as part of a rich and historic social fabric, which in turn impacts the choices they make vis a vis quality. The Americans have made clear again and again through the decades that they've increased their quality to stay competitive but they're really just about making money. Heck, the chairman of GM once said, when he was referring to the profitability of GMAC, the finance arm of the corporation, that GM is in the business of making money and if they could make more money switching completely to banking, they would.

I believe it also helps a company like BMW, to use a European example, that it's still family owned. So again, the stewards of the corporation are guided by deeper principles than just making money. Like the rich history of the company and holding to certain standards so as not to erode the accomplishments of those who came before. That doesn't mean they always make smart or enlightened choices. It's generally a bad idea to put people or cultures on pedestals. Human beings make mistakes. The difference is not competence so much as focus. For American corporations it's ALL about the bottom line and that shows up everywhere, in their culture, their impact on communities and employees, and the products themselves.

This wasn't always true. There was a time when a local company was more likely to have a sense of responsibility to the community, the employees, etc. Anheuser Busch comes to mind. They were such an important part of Saint Louis, until they were sold to Inbev. Then it was all about the bottom line and everything else be damned.

Last edited:
Jon did you get a good look at those grates? Are they some kind of stamped porcelain coated tin foil or something?

Steve, I believe that American cars are lightyears beyond where they were in, say, the late 1970s when they hit rock bottom garbage status. That said, I think the Japanese (particularly Honda and Toyota) continue to be a few steps ahead. Part of that probably relates to culture and part is a difference in views of the roles and responsibilities of corporations in a society. The Japanese see themselves as part of a rich and historic social fabric, which in turn impacts the choices they make vis a vis quality. The Americans have made clear again and again through the decades that they've increased their quality to stay competitive but they're really just about making money. Heck, the chairman of GM once said, when he was referring to the profitability of GMAC, the finance arm of the corporation, that GM is in the business of making money and if they could make more money switching completely to banking, they would.

I believe it also helps a company like BMW, to use a European example, that it's still family owned. So again, the stewards of the corporation are guided by deeper principles than just making money. Like the rich history of the company and holding to certain standards so as not to erode the accomplishments of those who came before. That doesn't mean they always make smart or enlightened choices. It's generally a bad idea to put people or cultures on pedestals. Human beings make mistakes. The difference is not competence so much as focus. For American corporations it's ALL about the bottom line and that shows up everywhere, in their culture, their impact on communities and employees, and the products themselves.

This wasn't always true. There was a time when a local company was more likely to have a sense of responsibility to the community, the employees, etc. Anheuser Busch comes to mind. They were such an important part of Saint Louis, until they were sold to Inbev. Then it was all about the bottom line and everything else be damned.
Like I said, it's complicated. I can't really disagree with most of what you just said. Since this really isn't the place to argue about cars, we should probably leave it at that.

Back