So this is the new Genesis

Love that Indigo Color guessing a lot of other people will also.

I like it! I am glad Ace will be having it in the new Genesis. There is a nice Genesis II at my Ace in Indigo. Add the new set in rack for Weber’s new replacement for the GBS (need to learn that name!) and you would have a cool gas grill. I have an Indigo Ace Weber kettle. It is my favorite modern kettle.

10921994-A43F-4E7A-BDF7-7759063485C7.jpeg

Well, I didn't say that I really LIKED the new one, just that I am getting a little more used to it.

I am a history buff. One of my favorite parts of history is the Cold War, and I enjoy the docudrama that was made years ago called the Missiles of October. Although more has become known since it was made back in the 70s, I love the switching back and forth from Washington to Moscow. Early on, it shows Krushchev meeting with the Presidium. He tells a story about a farmer who has to move his smelly cow into the house because of the extreme cold. The farmer doesn't like it, but he gets used to it. Krushchev tells the Presidium, "Kennedy won't like the missiles, but he will get used to them!"

Sorry for the history ramble, but I think that is the way it will be regarding this new Genesis. We will get used to it. I think younger buyers will actually LIKE it. Whether they will fork over the much higher price for a "Tech" Weber vs. a similar looking but much cheaper Charbroil is probably the question that keeps the Weber execs up these nights.

For me, I will stick with classic early Webers. I have to admit, though, that suddenly the Genesis II looks a lot more mainstream and like a real Weber than it did a few weeks ago :coolkettle: . See, I have gotten used to IT!
Years ago, a friend who was around 20 years older than me, told me about his experience during the Missles of October crisis. He was in the navy at the time but at the base. His buddy was on one of the ships running the blockade. He told me he slept with his buddy's wife. I was shocked. You did what? He was your friend? His response was, "Hey, we were all sure we were gonna die!" I guess his point was that in moments like that one seeks out comfort any way ya can get it. Alright, fine, males sense I guess. And now I know never to trust you.

Last edited:
Looks like GS4 burners are now called PUREBLU burners.

Also a change in warranty, from the simple 10 years all-inclusive warranty, back to a more complicated scheme.

2021:

10 years: All components from the date of purchase when assembled and operated in accordance with the accompanying Owner’s Manual, normal wear and tear excluded.

2022:
  • 12 years - Cookbox: no rust-through/burn-through (2 years on paint excluding fading or discoloration)
  • 12 years - Lid assembly: no rust-through/burn-through (2 years on paint excluding fading or discoloration)
  • 10 years - Stainless steel burner tubes: no rust-through/burn-through
  • 10 years - Stainless steel cooking grates: no rust-through/burn-through
  • 10 years - Stainless steel Flavorizer® bars: no rust-through/burn-through
  • 10 years - Porcelain-enameled cast-iron cooking grates: no rust-through/burn-through
  • 3 years - Electrical components (Weber Connect controller)
  • 5 years - All remaining parts
They're essentially telling us where the problems are. A company messes with their warranty like this when they have no confidence in the quality of the product. They trust the flaverizer bars and grates. Not so much the electrical components. The lid will fade, the cookbox will discolor. I don't really give a damn if my cookbox discolors but, call me silly, I think the lid shouldn't fade and the electrical parts ought to hold up on a thousand dollar grill.

In my experience, having had a Silver B for 20 years and now a Spirit II, the flavorizer bars are the most abused part of the grill and the first to go. The cast iron grates are a not-so-close second if properly cared for. I was surprised by Weber choosing to warranty those parts for 10 years, and am equally surprised they are doing it for the new Genesis.

I agree and only meant to bring a little history and levity to the question: So, Kennedy did not “get used to” the missiles. Will we get used to the new Genesis?

Prices have gone up quite a bit on these new grills. $900 plus tax for the cheapest. That is a lot of money for a 3 burner gas grill. At least in my view. I am really happy with my old cobbled together Genesis Platinum which should last many more years.

Prices have gone up quite a bit on these new grills. $900 plus tax for the cheapest. That is a lot of money for a 3 burner gas grill. At least in my view. I am really happy with my old cobbled together Genesis Platinum which should last many more years.

If you compare it to the previous 3-burner with sear station, it is about the same price.

Stefan makes a good argument for finding a decent used Jenny for a fraction of the price of new. So long as the parts for that model are still available, it’s a viable solution.

We complain about the prices. But in time value of money terms, we are paying about the same, maybe a bit less for a basic three burner Genesis as we were 25-30 years ago.

A $500 grill in 1995 would cost $914 in today's money. There are many instances on this forum where people had receipts for their Genesis grills from way back and they were all around $500 for the base Genesis of the time. I see where one member had a 2 burner Genesis XXI (Jr) and that was $500 back in the late 1980's. That would be over $1200 in today's money. You can debate that the quality might be lower, but if you just compare the Genesis base 3 burner to that of 30 years ago, the price is pretty much the same.

Last edited:
Used is always a better deal IMO, you just have to watch for the units priced below the going rate and jump on it.

That said, ( in my opinion ) most buyers don't know what was good or not and don't want to mess with fixing or cleaning, they just want to buy it, set it up and use it for a few years and they'll pay for the convenience of delivery and setup which may be included.

EP 330 with side burner and sear. Probably the 2016 model, just before the Genesis II came out.

1642699801015.png

Last year's model still available

1642700051325.png

Current model

1642699920307.png

We complain about the prices. But in time value of money terms, we are paying about the same, maybe a bit less for a basic three burner Genesis as we were 25-30 years ago.

A $500 grill in 1995 would cost $914 in today's money. There are many instances on this forum where people had receipts for their Genesis grills from way back and they were all around $500 for the base Genesis of the time. I see where one member had a 2 burner Genesis XXI (Jr) and that was $500 back in the late 1980's. That would be over $1200 in today's money. You can debate that the quality might be lower, but if you just compare the Genesis base 3 burner to that of 30 years ago, the price is pretty much the same.
I guess you are right. I have not paid much attention to new grill prices in the recent year and have not factored in inflation. My last new Weber was a Genesis Silver B which I purchased new in 2006 for $350 which would be equal to about $485 today. Ever since I only cobbled up used grills.
I just would have a hard time to justify about $1K for a brand new grill. But that is me.
But Weber also raised the price on the Q grills. Last time I have seen them the list price was $169 for a Q-1200. Now they are listed for $239.

I guess you are right. I have not paid much attention to new grill prices in the recent year and have not factored in inflation. My last new Weber was a Genesis Silver B which I purchased new in 2006 for $350 which would be equal to about $485 today. Ever since I only cobbled up used grills.
I just would have a hard time to justify about $1K for a brand new grill. But that is me.
But Weber also raised the price on the Q grills. Last time I have seen them the list price was $169 for a Q-1200. Now they are listed for $239.
Well, one silver lining is that the value of restored grills also goes up accordingly. When you could get a brand new Q for $169 (maybe even a little less), it was hard to find a way to restore even a $35 one and make any money. But starting prices closing in on $250 gives you a better shot. Same for regular grills. One of those perfect restores by @Bruce should fetch a higher price when a new one is over a grand. Throw in a Weber Connect or cheaper digital alternative to satisfy the tech crowd and still be less than half the price!

Webers focus seems to be on the accessory sideshow, and maybe the bells and whistles. The sear station is simply an extra conventional burner, as in the past iterations, as opposed to an IR burner found on other premium grills. IMO there’s not a lot new here over the Genesis II.

I know I’m gonna get shot for this, but in my opinion, the Genesis II line was an incredible offering, certainly the most diverse line Weber has ever produced. Two to six burners with or without sear station, side burner, open and closed cart options, in multiple colors and stainless steel, all with a lid to wheels 10 year warranty. Even if Weber stopped supporting the parts, there are plenty of aftermarket parts available. If anything, they were too ambitious and maybe couldn’t support such a diverse lineup within one model.

Last edited:
I know I’m gonna get shot for this, but in my opinion, the Genesis II line was an incredible offering, certainly the most diverse line Weber has ever produced. Two to six burners with or without sear station, side burner, open and closed cart options, in multiple colors and stainless steel, all with a lid to wheels 10 year warranty. Even if Weber stopped supporting the parts, there are plenty of aftermarket parts available. If anything, they were too ambitious and maybe couldn’t support such a diverse lineup within one model.
I agree that they offered a lot. If you add in the Spirit, Spirit II and Summit lines to the Genesis, we had quite a confusing and overlapping line of grills. I think Weber is weeding out some duplication and better defining the lines. As far as warranty, they probably are getting tired of replacing flavorizers and grates on that 10 year bumper to bumper.

I agree that they offered a lot. If you add in the Spirit, Spirit II and Summit lines to the Genesis, we had quite a confusing and overlapping line of grills. I think Weber is weeding out some duplication and better defining the lines. As far as warranty, they probably are getting tired of replacing flavorizers and grates on that 10 year bumper to bumper.
Yet they haven’t changed it.

Yet they haven’t changed it.
Unless all the new flavorizer bars are stainless, they are now 5 years.

2022 GENESIS GAS GRILLS​

• 12 years - Cookbox: no rust-through/burn-through (2 years on paint excluding fading or discoloration)
  • 12 years - Lid assembly: no rust-through/burn-through (2 years on paint excluding fading or discoloration)
  • 10 years - Stainless steel burner tubes: no rust-through/burn-through
  • 10 years - Stainless steel cooking grates: no rust-through/burn-through
  • 10 years - Stainless steel Flavorizer® bars: no rust-through/burn-through
  • 10 years - Porcelain-enameled cast-iron cooking grates: no rust-through/burn-through
  • 3 years - Electrical components (Weber Connect controller)
  • 5 years - All remaining parts

Back