So this is the new Genesis

I need a response that's beyond "like". We need a "Wow!" button. That thing is gorgeous. Those new Weber's do not even begin to hold a candle.

PS: How did you mount the wood slats in that configuration and how did you treat them to make them weather resistant? Is this a stove you use or more a museum piece?
We have a "Wow" button! Mouse-over the Like link and choose the emoji with the wide-open eyes--that's "WOW!". I'll "Wow" your post so you can see it.

Sounds good if it is not a pile of rust in 2-3 years. Weber should pay attention.
Thank for that - It's about time. Top end is 700°. I wonder what the low end is? Even has an auto-clean function that shuts off when finished. Why wasn't weber the one to come out with this. Also looks like a POS thin sheet metal cook box that will not last more than a year or 2. I wonder if they offer an extended warranty;-) BTW Happy New Year

Thank for that - It's about time. Top end is 700°. I wonder what the low end is? Even has an auto-clean function that shuts off when finished. Why wasn't weber the one to come out with this. Also looks like a POS thin sheet metal cook box that will not last more than a year or 2. I wonder if they offer an extended warranty;-) BTW Happy New Year
I found it at Lowe’s. Seems to be a standard CB warranty, but Lowe’s offers the extension.

Found more photos, posted here:

Honestly I can't help but wonder if things like the CharBroils would hold up longer if owners lavished all the love on them that many here do on their Weber. And given what I have seen of the new Weber products I don't anticipate long life even with all the love

Honestly I can't help but wonder if things like the CharBroils would hold up longer if owners lavished all the love on them that many here do on their Weber. And given what I have seen of the new Weber products I don't anticipate long life even with all the love
Maybe someone who spends $700 on that grill rather then $200 will take better care of it.

Of course they would hold up better and last longer with a lot of cleaning and keeping out of the weather. But hopefully not like the love we see from the Webers at the curb we pick up. If fact the Charbroils, NeXT grills, etc that I have "restored" and sold had their cabinets in better shape than Webers of the same vintage some times. It is the enameled steel fire boxes and cheap drip pans that go. When that happens there are no replacement parts and warranties of only 1 year so there is nothing but riveting some sheet metal in to fix it to get a few more years out of it.

Maybe someone who spends $700 on that grill rather then $200 will take better care of it.
I really don't think it comes down to cost. It is a mentality. I am perhaps a little neurotic, I keep everything covered. My cars are always garaged, every grill and yard tool are either on a porch or in the garage, nothing gets rained on. On the other hand, my neighbor just bought a nice pellet grill and used the cover once or twice. I see it out my window every day sitting in the rain. I know he likes his grill, he even put it in his truck and took it on vacation with him. I also pick stuff from out by his trash all the time before it goes to the dump and most I give away, donate, or some I sell.

They do rust out for sure, but I actually use mine pretty regularly. I've also taken it off because it sometimes does get in the way so a flip up one makes sense to me at least.
On the Broilmaster P3 series, those same style warming racks which fold out and retract with the opening and closing of the grill hood...are solid 304 stainless steel. If you're putting anything besides buns on those Weber chrome plated ones, they will rust out/corrode in short order.

Regardless, if you keep a grill outdoors in the elements, even with a cover, it will eventually rust out. The only exception is a 100% stainless steel grill. Rust never sleeps.

This is fact.

I've been through 2 other grills on the deck of our beach house, which is in an environment that literally consumes metals other than quality stainless steel, heavy cast aluminum and brass. Basically the metals you find on boat fittings.
First was a Ducane made by Weber. A click or two above a Char-Broil. Next was a Weber S-210. Cook box and lid held up very well. Sheet metal cabinet and base...not at all. I refurbed it and used PT plywood for the base but still, after grinding, sanding, rust preventative priming and painting...two years and it was at the curb for post season bulk trash pickup week.
When I came upon the Broilmaster P3 on FBMP for $100, I could see that with minimal cleaning, sanding and painting of the cook box, replacing the internals, it was a keeper. But for the burner, ceramic briquettes grate and the casters, the grill is 304 stainless and heavy cast aluminum. Even the cooking grates are cast 304 stainless. Not a beauty contest winner by any means, but it has a look of solid quality and cooks extremely well and I know that it will hold up for years in that environment with minimal maintenance and occasional internals replacement.
There is no way those new Webers would.

It is sad that even in grill reviews so little weight is given to longevity and parts availability. I have seen so many reviews that give a Nextgrill or similar POS a best buy or such because they can cook toast evenly. For most people we live in a throw-a-way society. After 3 years with no cleaning they chuck the grill and buy a new one and way less effort than getting their hands dirty and cleaning a better grill. After 10 years they have had 3 NEW grills for the price they would have paid for a quality grill that required cleaning and maintenance. You know after writing this I now understand it. If people had to change their own oil in their car, we would see a lot of cars with blown engines.

Yep, fewer and fewer things are actually repaired today. Can you imagine taking your $99 microwave to a shop to have them work on it?:unsure: Yet, in the past that is exactly what people did. From my perspective, it is down to autos, large appliances, maybe some computers, and - at work - a photocopier that are still typically repaired. And on appliances other than central heat/air, if they are more than 5 years old most likely you will replace those as well. It is just not cost effective to fix things.

For grills, I think people make the same equation - even if they don't really think it through. Cheaper (as in easier) to not bother with doing any real maintenance and just push your Nexgrill, MasterForgery, etc. out to the curb. So, you can't really blame Weber for trying to adapt but still somehow stand out as a higher quality brand.

Things are changing in the grill world, and I think Weber is scrambling a little. Way late to the party with a pellet grill. Then, in spite of some very innovative design ideas, they didn't work all that through, resorted to some cheap materials, and in general botched the launch of a promising product. That really hurts when it seems pellet grills are the next wave. In spite of its issues, the SmokeFire shows GREAT cooking results in comparisons of actual bbqing vs. pellet grills costing even twice as much.

My quick fix solution for Weber is to come out with a PELLET kettle to compete with the Recteq Bullseye. That would be easy and buy time for a next step on the SmokeFire.

Meanwhile, in the gas grilling world, Weber lets Charbroil beat them out with a thermostatically controlled gas grill. I never really thought about wanting that capability, but if you are doing ribs or other low and slow stuff on your gas grill, it would certainly be helpful. It's not easy being Weber!

Last edited:
My quick fix solution for Weber is to come out with a PELLET kettle to compete with the Recteq Bullseye. That would be easy and buy time for a next step on the SmokeFire.

Meanwhile, in the gas grilling world, Weber lets Charbroil beat them out with a thermostatically controlled gas grill. I never really thought about wanting that capability, but if you are doing ribs or other low and slow stuff on your gas grill, it would certainly be helpful. It's not easy being Weber!
They should just buy Spider and they would have a Pellet Kettle. That is one of the reasons that a company goes public to give them $$ for acquisitions. The lack of a thermostatically controlled gas grill is just stupid.

They should just buy Spider and they would have a Pellet Kettle. That is one of the reasons that a company goes public to give them $$ for acquisitions. The lack of a thermostatically controlled gas grill is just stupid.
There will always be innovators and followers. Unfortunately, Weber seems to have become a follower depending on their past reputation for sales.

Like I said before we use our E320 Ng as our oven in the summer. We had a lot of 100+ days last summer and I don't see that getting better any time soon. Although it does the job, but you only have so much temperature control.
That's why a grill with a thermostat control would appeal to me. But at what cost, two things would have to be there for me to pull the trigger, a reasonable price and natural gas.
We have significantly lowered our cooling costs in the summer by giving the indoor stove the summer off. About a 25% reduction in our electric bill. Depending on price and quality I might consider getting a thermostat controlled gas grill.

Depending on price and quality I might consider getting a thermostat controlled gas grill.
That pretty much sums it up...I don't think a thermostatically controlled gas grill can be produced in this price range. A gas-fired appliance requires a standing pilot that would be prone to blowing out in an outdoor environment, or a piezo or glow bar igniter that would likely require AC power...but either ignition method requires a complex valve that determines whether the pilot is hot enough via thermocouple before the valve is permitted to open. If such a thermostatically controlled gas grill were introduced, it would definitely be on the most expensive grills in the lineup.

Back