Smoked Lamb

ChrisMoorer

Costco ran a sale on their lamb leg and I thought I'd give it a go. I was extremely pleased with the results. Very juicy, tender prime rib like steaks. Made Gyros too.

Rub:
Course sea salt
Course ground black pepper
Minced garlic (I cheat and use the pre-bottled stuff)
EVOO
Freshly minced thyme and rosemary

Cherry wood smoke temp 225, pulled it off at 135 for a perfect med-rare, which took about 3hrs.

Fine work! I'm ready, too bad only my son in law and myself really like lamb! I need to bring some more of the family's taste buds and interest up a step or two!
I need a freezer so I can stockpile a few of these amazing deals when they show up!

Last edited:
I love lamb, & that looks very tasty. Nice cook Chris.
If you can get a bone-in leg, I highly recommend.

Just a note Dustin. If you do a leg it's best to go to the same IT as Chris did, coz it has less fat.
Lamb shoulder is perfect for low and slow....pulled. Mmm.

I don't know why but Costco only carries boneless butts and lamb. Bone in would definitely be the way to go.

Looks great, Chris. I don't think I've ever smoked lamb (usually go hot/fast for chops or rotisserie for leg....) How did the cherry smoke do with the lamb? Sounds like a good combo.

Nice cook!

R

Looks great! Just did my first lamb on the smoker as well, was bone in and went all the way to pulled, about 8 hours. Don't be ashamed of the pre-minced garlic! Ain't nobody got time for that!

I used to use the bottled garlic but, I really prefer freshly minced.
I appreciate the affinity for bone in but, I have become very fond of the Julia Child butterflied method over thirty years. It's much easier to carve at table.
Now, I just had breakfast ad am ready fro a whole rack of lamb! You guys!

That is a beautiful post. Every time I see one of these lamb posts I tell myself that I need to try it. But somehow it never gets in the rotation. It looks delicious. Great job!

This says it all "YUP", beautiful cook Chris.

A9mvsGQh.jpg

I figured the lamb would take smoke real well in a short period of time, so I knew to go with a mild fruit wood to avoid overpowering the meat. Chose cherry over apple and it was great. I used about 4 fist sized chunks. Apple prolly would have done fine also.

I figured the lamb would take smoke real well in a short period of time, so I knew to go with a mild fruit wood to avoid overpowering the meat. Chose cherry over apple and it was great. I used about 4 fist sized chunks. Apple prolly would have done fine also.

I did mine for 5 hours on smoke with a blend of apple and hickory, then I wrapped for the remaining 3 hours (again, I was going all the way to 195-200 for pulled meat). I can safely say it was too much for the lamb. It reminded me of a really good pulled pork, but mostly because of that smoke flavor. The "lamb-y-ness" of the meat itself was more subtle. If I were to do it again (and I will funds permitting) I would use a much milder cherry wood like you did or maybe a chunk or two of pecan.

That looks fantastic. I've done the same approach with the boneless leg of lamb from Sam's.

It's very affordable compared to what most grocery stores charge for lamb. Sam's has it for half or less of what you'd pay elsewhere around here.

Back