Root beer

Brad Olson

TVWBB Diamond Member
When I was a kid I was pretty fond of root beer, although back then my mom bought national brands like Dad's, Hires and (later) Barq's. I drifted away from it for a long time but am now buying it occasionally again, and am really enjoying local Wisconsin varieties like Gray's, Point, Potosi and Sprecher. It's a good time to be a fan!

I used to get Dad’s a lot, Hires too but, I just never warmed up to Barq’s don’t know why.
A couple of the microbreweries do root beer from time to time and they are pretty good.

Root, always a good one. I like it when I am hungover.....lol, especially that sugary fountain type.
Carryout from places that make their own is a whole 'nother story! Too bad most of them now use plastic jugs instead of glass.

A couple of burgers and a frosted mug of homemade root beer at the drive-in...

I’ve not seen Frostie over here, maybe I should look a little more closely!
Totally agree with the old “glass jug” carry out from A&W, when I was a kid there was a fabulous one in Moline. They had everything, pork tenderloins, burgers, chicken, excellent sides, the whole magilla!
The place here does basic dirty water dogs, ham sandwiches(awful) popcorn and chips, that’s it! Now I’m depressed.

If I'm going to serve root beer out of my taps, Sprecher's is my go-to for a syrup mix, it's just plain good.

Hires Root Beer has a special place for me. My uncle was the plant manager for Hires in LA when I was young. One of my fondest memories a a young kid was when dad got out the old crank ice cream maker cause we knew my uncle was coming with fresh Hires For root beer floats. In those days, Hires was naturally made.

We a fortunate enough to have Chug's Root Beer close to us. They import most every know root beer and will also special order. They also have tastings every Saturday. At least monthly, I go for a hot dog and new root beer variety. Virgil's is a pretty good one.

Twig's is pretty good if you can find it. Made in Shawano- same company that makes Sundrop.

Point is a very nice root beer! Try John’s root beer stand if you ever get over to Waukesha. It a funky little ”drive-in” that makes their own. John's has been serving up hot dogs and root beer since 1937. With the original building since 1937, we strive to please our customers in every way possible. John's started as an A&W in 1937 at it's first location. In 1948 it moved to it's second location until 1962. June of 1962 it was placed in the location you find it in now. In 1974 A&W wanted to put a grill in, the owner refused, and A&W pulled the franchise. It was then when they changed it to John's Drive-In. So, yeah, they’ve been doing it right.

Another root beer lover, here. My favorite is:
20120712-sprecher-root-beer.jpg

We have a couple of good Northern California root beers that I like. One is River City Root Beer from Sacramento, the other is Sparky's Fresh Draft Root Beer from Pacific Grove. And of course I like the real A&W root beer that is mixed in batches at the restaurant.

rootbeer4pk.jpgsparkys-fresh-draft-root-beer.png

Hires Root Beer has a special place for me.
I guess it was one of my favorites as a kid, too, but I don't remember that. A few years ago, my dad passed along this belt buckle from my childhood, probably late 60s or early 70s. I only have a slight memory of it.

IMG_1788[1].JPG

IMG_1789[1].JPG

Last edited:
Hires was a solid brand but I always had a soft spot for a frosty mug of A&W since my sister use to work there when we're kids and the manager would give free mugs. So smooth only thing better was a A&W ice cream float now that was heaven.

The best root beer I ever had was the homemade we made when I was a Cub Scout back in the very early 60s. Our den mother had a killer recipe. Unfortunately I was dishonorably discharged before I could get it.

My Grandma made Root Beer and stored down in the root cellar next to the old coal bin. In Hilex gallon bottles. It was very smooth and had thatcgood vanilla,cinnamon flavor, she had this recipe down pat.

Been going to a place called Triple XXX Family Restaurant in West Lafayette, IN.
They make their own root beer, usually bring back a case or two.
Yes its a real restaurant and not an adult place/store. It was on Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives.

Also started getting Filbert's from the local meat market.
Which is nice to get food to grill and a case to drink with it.
Filbert's is from Chicago, IL.

Back