Ribs, what is best

So, exactly what kind of ribs do I have here? It does seem there is some other bone structure on on side of the rack. I assume this is due to the ribs being taken from right along the spinal column.

Is that a good price the cut and size of the rack? The rack is a bit over three pounds.

5vMCV5a.jpg

kjd4xy6.jpg

Last edited:
You've got exactly what the label says, back ribs from a cow that are cut next to the spine, similar to loin back (baby back) ribs on a hog. Size and weigh seems OK. They've cut some of the meat out from between the bones, which is common on beef ribs. They look similar to the ones I cooked here: http://virtualweberbullet.com/beefrib2.html

Since you and your family like beef ribs, try to buy the short rib plate. Ask them to leave them whole instead of cutting them down. They come in a pack of 3 to 4 bones about 12" long.

I like Baby Back ribs cooked with Bob's high heat method, done in two hours, with a little rest before cutting.
Plus I get Farmer John for $2.99-$3.99 a pound at Smart & Final. Extra Meaty

Like Rich said, i'v never had much luck with beef ribs...so i gave up.

Good info everyone. Thanks for that link Chris. That was very informative. I am going to Costco tomorrow and will be interested to see what they have. Seems a lot of guys on here are high on COSTCO ribs and other meats. I will be getting a membership and have never been there before.

I have had good luck with beef ribs. Actually, the first time I cooked them, they came out better than the second time. The second time, I was having trouble with the rotisserie and had to up the heat a bit due to time constraints. I will plan better next time to ensure I have the time necessary.

Last edited:
Good info everyone. Thanks for that link Chris. That was very informative. I am going to Costco tomorrow and will be interested to see what they have. Seems a lot of guys on here are high on COSTCO ribs and other meats. I will be getting a membership and have never been there before.
The one thing about Costco is they often have what I call "targets of opportunity". This definitely applies to almost everything in the hard goods section (appliances and such) and to many of the packaged food items. It applies somewhat to the meat department as well. They almost always have certain items like ground beef and pork loins, but the availability and selection of other items varies greatly. This also varies by store, depending on local demand. Beef ribs in my local Costco are very much targets of opportunity. They usually have spare ribs and baby backs. Boneless Boston butt used to have spotty availability but has been available most of the time over the last couple years. They've even had bellies on a regular basis for the last year or more. They also often have prime packer briskets that are excellent. If you pay attention you'll pretty quickly identify the items they have all the time and those that you best grab when they have them.

Those are some decent looking beef back ribs. The ones I see locally seem like they are 75% bone and only 25% meat. So, for beef ribs, I go for Chuck Ribs that I get at Restaurant Depot. They are probably very similar to uncut Beef Short Ribs, just from a different part of the cow.

As far as pork, I usually go for St. Louis. I did cook my first racks of babies yesterday, though, and they came out great.

I think they're all good (except for those crappy beef back ribs I get locally).

BD

I prefer baby backs or loin ribs. the thing I REALLY don't like about St louis ribs is the rib tips that are left on. after you remove the rib tips there really isn't that much good meat on there, dare I say half? when I make baby backs usually 80% or more of the rack is great to eat.

the thing I REALLY don't like about St louis ribs is the rib tips that are left on. after you remove the rib tips there really isn't that much good meat on there,

Me-thinks you're referring to Spare ribs. St Louis is a trimmed spare that has the rib tips, brisket and flap meat removed.
Sometimes I'll buy St Louis cut spares and the tips, brisket and flap meat is wrapped in the package.
Good stuff and rib tips are a favorite in Chicago. ( if you know how to cook em ):)

Tim

I usually go for center cut St. Louis, but have been buying more loin back ribs lately to hone my process.

Beef Plate ribs are excellent but I only cook them 1-2 times per year.

Me-thinks you're referring to Spare ribs. St Louis is a trimmed spare that has the rib tips, brisket and flap meat removed.
Sometimes I'll buy St Louis cut spares and the tips, brisket and flap meat is wrapped in the package.
Good stuff and rib tips are a favorite in Chicago. ( if you know how to cook em ):)

Tim

you probably right. every time I buy St louis spare ribs from Kroger they had the tips attached, so IDK if its a Kroger thing or what. no good IMO

As has been discussed, names can get weird. Best just to learn how to look at the ribs, decide what they are, and grab what you like.

Spare ribs come from the front of the rib cage. Easy thing to do is to put your finger tips on your own sternum and move your hands back towards your back. That's the spare ribs. They use a saw to cut right down through the sternum and each of the two racks has a piece of the sternum attached. Along with the sternum, the spare ribs have some cartilage where the rib ends join in the abdomen section.

St. Louis style ribs are spare ribs that have had the sternum and cartilage sectioned out.

20140502-291811-how-to-trim-st-louis-ribs-cut.jpg

Baby back or loin back ribs come from the back side of the rib cage right next to the spine. The pork loin sits right on top of the back ribs. If you were to get a bone in pork loin, you could separate the ribs out and end up with a boneless pork loin and a rack of baby backs.

trimmedribs.jpg

Which one you would like better is a matter of personal preference. It's like Ribeye vs New York strip. Both are good in different ways. The texture of the meat is different. the flavor is different. The marbling/fat content is different. Funny thing with me is that like with Strips and Ribeyes, I keep waffling back and forth as to which I prefer.

Tim
Same in St Louis.
Cooked by a real Pit Master (not me) they're as good as or better than the ribs themselves.
We can buy full slabs, StL style trimmed with tips included, StL style without, and tips only.

Dave, can you label or describe each of the three parts in your photo. And if still in one piece, would that be considered a whole half of a rib cage?

Back