Random thoughts/Off topic/Last post wins

You poor kids! :p
I remember when we first got a TV, period, around 1956, black and white of course.
Living in a rural town we only got one channel, CBS, so no Howdy Doody for me, but I did watch the Captain every morning.

Captain_Kangaroo_promotional_postcard_1961.JPG

If I remember right we lived in the Chicago area and got channels 2,5,7,9. My favorite was the Mickey Mouse club and on Fridays watching Spin & Marty.

If I remember right we lived in the Chicago area and got channels 2,5,7,9. My favorite was the Mickey Mouse club and on Fridays watching Spin & Marty.
CBS, NBC, ABC and WGN. Was this before 26, 32 and 44 came along? I lived in the Chicago area in the late 1980s and these are the channels I remember, and I think while I was there 50 and 66 went on the air as well.

Anyone remember Brother Buzz? I can't remember what I had for lunch yesterday, but I can remember this little marionette and his pals.

See...... I forgot to attach vid link. Shhheesss

Last edited:
I loved Captain Kangaroo! Then in the afternoon, when I lived in Moline, IL. There was “Grandpa Happy” showing cartoons and in Kalamazoo,Michigan (from Grand Rapids) came “Buck Barry” a singing cowboy, cartoon showing rhinestone cowboy.
I really miss cartoons being available! None of them were as “Politically Correct” as they would have to be if they were shown today.

I don’t remember Buzz but, I do remember “Stingray” and “Fireball XL-5” shot in “Supermarionation”
My sister got me the “Fireball XL-5” dvd collection it does make me remember the early days that’s for sure.

Last edited:
When I was really little there was only 2, 5, 7, 9. Public TV (channel 11) did not come along until later. Also Channel 9 (WGN) shared it's network time with a lesser known network known as DuMont. So at certain times of the day/night WGN carried different call signs and letters. Channel 11 was chartered and licensed in 1952 but did not begin programming broadcasts until around 58 or 59.

My dad used to repair TV's back in the day. I'm pretty sure our first color tv was someone else's tv that quit working & was out on the curb. Probably mid 70's. He'd be back there behind the TV, adjusting something & always had a mirror so he could see the screen. Sometimes I'd go with him to the drug(?) store, with tubes out of the tv. They had a "tube tester" there & he'd buy new tubes to fix tv's.

Sometimes I'd go with him to the drug(?) store, with tubes out of the tv. They had a "tube tester" there & he'd buy new tubes to fix tv's.

Man, there's a memory jogger. I swear, I have that very same memory. My Dad liked to tinker with electronic stuff and I remember the tube testers and watching him test old tubes. I'd forgotten and left that memory behind years ago.

Last edited:
I tested a few tubes myself back then.
I think some of the old vacuum tubes are worth a pretty good amount on eBay, for guitar amplifiers and such.

Yep, used to go to walgreens to test tubes with my dad.:) ( good memories)
He had a large collection and he told me they would be worth something one day.
Speaking of old shows, I remember Ray Rayner.

Tim

My Dad was an amateur radio operator. He's spend hours upstairs working on his equipment. He built a lot of it. I remember he bought these Heathkits and would assemble radio and Hi Fi TV components. He even put his first computer together from a Heathkit. It seemed rather blase to me at the time but is extremely meaningful to me now.

Enjoying this thread, before cable in the Boston area I think we could get maybe 3 or 4 stations. My dad had one of those powered antennas which depending on what station you were watching he had them marked you had to turn it to that mark. I can remember as a young kid getting up I think it was before 7 am on Saturday cause I loved pro wrestling, there was a station in RI that had it on Saturday morning.

I would watch it thru the snow on the screen since the reception was horrible but I did not really care. My dad would sometimes watch it with me make us an early breakfast although I don't think he liked wrestling it was a father son deal.

You poor kids! :p
I remember when we first got a TV, period, around 1956, black and white of course.
Living in a rural town we only got one channel, CBS, so no Howdy Doody for me, but I did watch the Captain every morning.

Captain_Kangaroo_promotional_postcard_1961.JPG

Remember this?...

I can't count the times I heard that song on the Captain Kangaroo show.

I really miss cartoons being available! None of them were as “Politically Correct” as they would have to be if they were shown today.

Same here!

Loony Toons, Terry Toons, Hanna-Barbera.

Thank God the Flintstones are on MeTV now. I can't hardly stomach some of the stuff being shown on Saturday mornings.

Last edited:
Same here!

Loony Toons, Terry Toons, Hanna-Barbera.

Thank God the Flintstones are on MeTV now. I can't hardly stomach some of the stuff being shown on Saturday mornings.

But the government says it better this way. If that doesn't make sense Google or YouTube what happened to Saturday morning cartoons.

But the government says it better this way. If that doesn't make sense Google or YouTube what happened to Saturday morning cartoons.

Yep, they were too violent but, the videos out there these days present a lot of violence with real people, crazy!
And infomercials on Saturday morning TV is just wildly entertaining, isn’t it?

Warner Brothers Golden Classics for a lot of the old Looney Tunes media. Something like 11 sets. Set 2 has "What's opera, Doc?"

Yep, used to go to walgreens to test tubes with my dad.:) ( good memories)
He had a large collection and he told me they would be worth something one day.
Speaking of old shows, I remember Ray Rayner.

Tim

Actually met Ray Rayner at Candlelight Dinner Playhouse on the south side of Chicago (way down on south Harlem Ave). Really nice guy. I was dating a teacher at the time and he even agreed to got to her school and meet her gradeschool class.

Back