Random thoughts/Off topic/Last post wins

Jason in CA

TVWBB All-Star
I walked through the grill area at Walmart to see what they had going on. It seems Walmart is going all in with the Expert Grill brand. What used to be a mixture of accessories by different brands has now been replaced with Expert Grill things. Didn't see any Weber grills or accessories. Maybe the seasonal stuff for grilling isn't fully stocked yet. But over the last couple season's I've seen Expert Grill taking up more and more shelf space at Walmart.

A few weeks ago I was at my sister's house grilling and had no thermometer. So I ran to Walmart and grabbed the only brand they had. You guessed it. Expert Grill. After using it I didn't like it at all but it got the job done in a pinch. Unfortunately, if the rest of the expert grill brand is like the thermometer then it's shelves filled with junk. But it was cheap though. Cheap in price and quality.

Tim K

TVWBB All-Star
I walked through the grill area at Walmart to see what they had going on. It seems Walmart is going all in with the Expert Grill brand. What used to be a mixture of accessories by different brands has now been replaced with Expert Grill things. Didn't see any Weber grills or accessories. Maybe the seasonal stuff for grilling isn't fully stocked yet. But over the last couple season's I've seen Expert Grill taking up more and more shelf space at Walmart.

A few weeks ago I was at my sister's house grilling and had no thermometer. So I ran to Walmart and grabbed the only brand they had. You guessed it. Expert Grill. After using it I didn't like it at all but it got the job done in a pinch. Unfortunately, if the rest of the expert grill brand is like the thermometer then it's shelves filled with junk. But it was cheap though. Cheap in price and quality.

It looks as they’ve gone all in on Blackstone griddle supplies as well. I went to our local Wal Mart last weekend and the shelves were full of everything you could ever imagine for a Balckstone. It was either over priced Blackstone or cheap Expert supplies. Nothing Weber at all.
Tim

Phil Perrin

TVWBB Honor Circle
So, Pammi and I were doing our weekly shopping this morning.
When I went to pay. I asked the card reader to give me cash back.
Unfortunately, I didn't add enough zeros.
I did get my dime, though! :rolleyes:

Jason in CA

TVWBB All-Star
Please forgive me for I have sinned. I took some of my barbecue stuff to my sister's house for the super bowl cook I was doing. My cattle lighter cubes chimney charcoal food and a couple other things. since then I've cooked on a gas or a couple times and haven't given everything else a second thought.

Now here is where I ask forgiveness. I left the chimney and starter cubes at my sister's house not worrying much. I have a performer with gas assist so I don't need that stuff.

Here is where I asked forgiveness. My performer with gas assist can't be used because I have no small propane bottles to use it. I have no chimney to light charcoal with. I have no lighter cubes to start the charcoal.

Forgive me I used charcoal lighter fluid and lit them up. Don't judge me too harshly. :eek::sneaky::oops:;):p

Clint

TVWBB Olympian
My performer with gas assist can't be used because I have no small propane bottles to use it. I have no chimney to light charcoal with. I have no lighter cubes to start the charcoal.

Forgive me I used charcoal lighter fluid and lit them up. Don't judge me too harshly.

put about 1.5 tsp (veg oil) on a couple paper towels & put it right under the charcoal grate under a pile of charcoal - works pretty good. How'd it turn out? Tire fire? Slight hint of the fluid? The slight taste of LF isn't all bad, not something I'd aim for but it brings back memories.

Last edited:

Jason in CA

TVWBB All-Star
Turned out fine. I made sure the coals were good and going before I put any meat on. I'm not personally Dead set against lighter fluid. It was more a funny anecdotal story of what I did today.

and by the way how did it turn out reminds me that I always forget to take finished pictures but I did post a new thread and the pictures section. I'm currently asking for 5 seconds of silence from my kid. Don't know that I will get that. When I do I will try and update the other thread. He's yelling at me now that I asked for 5 seconds and he gave me 10.

Jason in CA

TVWBB All-Star
I'm at my Sister's house again. Since I left my kettle there after the Superbowl cook I figured I'd use it again for tonight's quick meal. I had a little help this time.

IMG_20200222_150921272_MP.jpg
She also really likes the Skyline I refurbished for her. But it's been a bit neglected.
IMG_20200222_143027816_HDR.jpg

Clint

TVWBB Olympian
Irony

Were gonna shut it all down to avoid people gathering in crowds.

Meanwhile, thousands cram into stores to buy TP.

I made a similar comment today to a friend who posted a video standing in one line wrapped around costco. I said: "skip it. I get the feeling that the panic buyers are exposing themselves to what they're trying to avoid. Look for smaller stores. "

I can hardly stand Costco on a normal day.

LMichaels

TVWBB Hall of Fame
Was at our local Costco yesterday. Had to get gas and while Sam's is closer and same price they allow non members and since they're pricing is about .35 lower than anyone else the lines there look like 1973 all over again. So I go to Costco since only members can buy there.
Expecting long lines of panic buyers inside the store I was pleasantly surprised to find none. Everyone calm, carts not stacked full of items they don't need, store personnel friendly and outgoing, no one backing away from each other or freaking out if you got a couple feet away. Only hint of an issue were, not one scrap of toilet paper, relatively low stock of other paper products and low stock of water bottles and all with a Limit 1 noted. Also no milk for the little guy. Otherwise a pleasant shopping experience. <Moderator: Political comment deleted.>

Last edited by a moderator:

Rusty James

TVWBB Guru
video from the earthquake in UT yesterday:

Wow, never knew Utah to have a quake before.

There were smaller tremors in the TN, SC, NC area of late too. I am assuming they are associated with a fault line that runs northwest from Charleston, SC. We never felt anything in the piedmont though.