Random thoughts/Off topic/Last post wins

we have some climbing inside our home, right above the front entrance.
I plugged the opening with steel wool

this morning, we also harvested our small supply of garlic from the garden...
Thanks to Brian Dahl for staring us on this cool crop 5 years ago!

szZThTH.jpg

Garlic looks good! Did you air dry them for a few weeks before cutting off the stalks?

Here is a picture of a batch that I harvested three weeks ago. It’s called Blossom.
6Yt7tMj.jpg

I planted about twelve different varieties in my gardens.

Garlic looks good! Did you air dry them for a few weeks before cutting off the stalks?
I planted about twelve different varieties in my gardens.
Yes, we did, Bill... thought I took photos of it hanging in the wood shed, but I cannot find any...
And we (wife Liz) also harvested the garlic about 3 weeks ago... I just get to clean them up.
Here is a shot from last year? perhaps the year before.

ryOD8wc

ryOD8wc.jpg

your Blossom looks FANTASTIC!
and 12 different varieties? W0W!
we started with 5 different types; German Red, Oregon Blue, Music, and a couple others I do not remember.
Only Music did well... then we added Northern White Porcelain.
I want to plant more this fall... convincing the boss to do so isn't a breeze.

I was watching a YouTuber travel from San Diego to Vancouver of late, and he passed over this bridge on the Columbia River between Oregon and Washington. The bridge seems to go and on before reaching the other side. It's a little mesmerizing for sure...

Anyone here live up there?

I have to try the garlic thing as we go through a lot of it.

What is your climate like? A lot of garlic need a cold period (vernalization) to do well. You could cheat by using the fridge or freezer. I would ask people in your area for their recommendations on garlic types and how to grow them.

Yes, we did, Bill... thought I took photos of it hanging in the wood shed, but I cannot find any...

I’m not a garlic expert as I’ve been doing it for three years but I do read a lot, ask tons of questions and observe my own crops.

Here are my thoughts on growing big garlic:

- don’t pull them out of the grown too early. Garlic grows a lot in the last month. You can dig around the bulb to see what it looks like and leave it in the ground if it’s not ready.
- cut the scapes off at the right time to direct the plant’s energy to the bulb. Bulbs with the scapes left on are smaller than the bulbs where the scapes were cut off.
- garlic have different times to be harvested. Blossom is an early variety that I harvested in early July. The rest I harvested last week. And I still have some in the ground (Music, German Extra Hardy, Georgian Fire) that I will pull in a week or two. I’m in Zone 6 and I think you are zone 5 so I was surprised that you already harvested the garlic.
- make sure the beds are free of weeds. I put down a heavy layer of straw and leave it there. The garlic grows through the straw and it keeps the weeds down.
- make sure the garlic plants get an inch of water during the growing season
- compost is a great fertilizer for garlic

I just read a local article this morning, that fall is the time to plant garlic. Never grown garlic. How do you get started ? How many plants and how large an area ?

I just read a local article this morning, that fall is the time to plant garlic. Never grown garlic. How do you get started ? How many plants and how large an area ?

Get a head of garlic at the grocery store and split it into its cloves. Each clove will be the seed for a new head of garlic. I think if you plant them a foot apart, they'll have plenty of room.

I suggest finding a farmer market in your area that sells local garlic. Look for the heads with the biggest cloves and plant the biggest ones.

If you go online, you can buy from a place like Filaree Farm.
https://www.filareefarm.com/seed-garlic-for-sale/Organic-Seed-Garlic/

I think creole, silverskin, and artichoke varieties will do well in your area.

6” apart in double rows is sufficient with each row about 18” from another double row. Or if you use raised beds, 6” all around is what I do.

Here is a garlic farmer in your area.
https://www.peaceofprairie.com/garlic-store

Ask for seed garlic rather than eating garlic.

https://www.tulsaworld.com/lifestyl...cle_192ceb1d-40b1-5969-a39f-1d2082bc97a0.html

https://greyduckgarlic.com/Southern_Garlic_Grower_Guide.html

https://www.muskogeephoenix.com/new...cle_606e79e2-e827-50dc-8ffe-b8b195a0dccf.html

When you harvest your garlic the following year, save the biggest bulbs to replant. After awhile, these bulbs will adapt to your growing conditions.

The garlic I have (~11 varieties) are better suited for colder climates.

Would you please use the links that say BBC Forums? Honestly many of us are not even bothering to click on hyperlinks any more

Would you please use the links that say BBC Forums? Honestly many of us are not even bothering to click on hyperlinks any more

I tried but I can't find them on the imgur app. The Photobucket app says my free account is out of space.

I know it's a pain in the butt, and half the time the links don't even work. but I'm not going to open up a paid account so that I can post pictures on a forum.

Since being a member here I've opened an imgur account and Photobucket account so that I can post pictures. I suppose if I was on my computer or laptop I would be able to find the correct link as I have in the past. I realize having two tap a link or click a link, then tap or click the back button is an extra step. But most of the time it's one that only takes me a whole 2 seconds, if that.

Larry,
I don't mean to step on your toes but you've made your point on several occasions. If I could have put in the correct code I would have. Now on the other hand, if this was Worthy of its own thread I would have posted it in the kettle form or buy and sell form. That being said you didn't miss anything by not taking all of the two or three seconds to click the link and then click back.

Now don't get me wrong. It would be nice if this site would host pictures. But it doesn't and I accept and deal with that.

Chris,

I'm sorry about the rant. I understand and except your reasons. I made a Photobucket account to post pictures here. And from mobile devices I could put in the link that post directly to the form. But I have to find a way to clear the free account in order to upload more. Several people suggested imgur so I made another account. But imgur has it's limitations on mobile devices as you pointed out.

Like many people I am not using a computer much of the time I post. So I except the limitations of that.

I tried but I can't find them on the imgur app.

Are you on iOS? The way to do this in the app is to touch the image and do a long press. This brings up an iOS standard menu, one of the options is “Copy Post Link”. That’s what you want.

Basically you are looking for an option that gives out a URL that ends with .jpg and begins with I.imgur.com.

Looking at your post, it does look like you did get the correct url. The key is to click on the little image icon which takes your url and wrap it with BBcode tags. Here’s one of your images.

JNPRdZQ.jpg

Last edited:
So bottom line, you do have the correct urls. Just needed to add the bbcode which is [ img ] ( no spaces ). Followed by [/ img ]. ( again no spaces )

Back