Random thoughts/Off topic/Last post wins

Thought I'd share a couple of hummer shots here, one un-cropped, the second one cropped.
I was about 15' away with a 420mm lens. Pentax dslr camera, of course. :)

48769845111_3fa7e55151_z.jpg

48769511943_4546035b86_z.jpg

Thought I'd share a couple of hummer shots here, one un-cropped, the second one cropped.
I was about 15' away with a 420mm lens. Pentax dslr camera, of course. :)

Wonderful photo Bob. I especially like the cropped shot. Was this taken with a tripod?

Last edited:
Wonderful photo Bob. I especially like the cropped shot. Was this taken with a tripod?
Thanks Cliff.
Handheld, bracket shots, here's the stats on the un-cropped one, same for the cropped one except it was at ISO800.
ƒ/5.6 1/500 420mm ISO1600

Last edited:
I've always been somewhat amazed by the hummingbird. I sit in my garage watching videos and get random visits from the hummingbirds that come by and use the feeder I hung just outside the roll up door. Sometimes the feeder runs out. when that happens there is one of the birds that will fly into my garage and buzz me. As if to say hey dummy, check the feeder. If you never have look up a documentary on hummingbirds.

Great pictures Bob. We used to have a feeder in the back yard for the hummers but last year we had a mass of wasps hanging around it so this year we didn't put it up.

I get a ton of them too. Nice pic Bob! Love it.

I just ordered a new pair of skis for the upcoming season:

JSK_METAL-BLACKSUNSHINE_ProductPage_3views_Final-01_5000x.jpg

We've got a fountain in our backyard, and the hummingbirds like to land on the finial at the top where the water bubbles out and take a bath. They just press their chests into the running water, whereas the finches go down into the bowl and submerge and shake and splatter water everywhere!

very nice. can't believe you found one sitting still
Thanks. The barbwire photo prop is near my feeder. Most of the summer it's been a male standing guard and chasing off intruders, now a female (in the pics above) has taken over.
Here's the male:

48708034296_6140c5c2df_z.jpg

Every time I go through the photo gallery thread I get envious. Everyone's food looks sooo good. I don't have the time to do many long cooks. Lately anything that hits my grills can be done in less than a half hour from start to finish.

Thanks. The barbwire photo prop is near my feeder. Most of the summer it's been a male standing guard and chasing off intruders, now a female (in the pics above) has taken over.
Here's the male:

48708034296_6140c5c2df_z.jpg

So this is not nearly as beautiful as Bob's photos, but it's something unusual that we see in our backyard all the time...hummingbirds bathing.

Click to watch the video:

That is really cool, Chris!
We have a birdbath with a solar powered fountain, but I've never seen any bird get under it for a shower.

Last edited:
There's something about this fountain that birds really like. The hummingbirds bathe and drink from the finial, and finches bathe and drink from the bowls. We now have a squirrel that comes by and takes a drink every day, too. It's funny to watch him try to straddle the gap between the wall and the bottom bowl to get his mouth down to the water.

Just released from DJI - the Mavic Mini

I have the mavic 2 zoom (love it), this seems to be a minaturized version of mine.

Back