Pulled the trigger and added a WSM (18") to my cooking arsenal

BenM

TVWBB Fan
Good evening all.

I'm a former NYC restaurant owner and have been in the travel and hospitality industry for about 30 years. Cooking and wine have always been a passion of mine. I already have a Weber Kettle with a rotisserie and pizza oven mod as well as a Traeger Pro Series 34. On Friday, I picked up a used WSM via FB Marketplace. It is in absolutely immaculate condition. The guy made some mods and also through in a few extras. I got it for $120.

Last night I made ribs on it and they came out great.

Here are some pics.

Attachments

• WSMRibs.jpg
    WSMRibs.jpg
    253.2 KB · Views: 32
  • 20220812_151007.jpg
    20220812_151007.jpg
    226.1 KB · Views: 31
  • 20220812_151025.jpg
    20220812_151025.jpg
    246.5 KB · Views: 32
I think this is what I want next. The last time I smoked, I made a two-compartment smokehouse out of masonry blocks with grates in between and sheet metal on top. I had a long candy thermometer to check the temperature and I used scrap wood from the yard for fuel. This worked like crazy, but was such a project to set up and take down that I never repeated the effort.

I think this is what I want next. The last time I smoked, I made a two-compartment smokehouse out of masonry blocks with grates in between and sheet metal on top. I had a long candy thermometer to check the temperature and I used scrap wood from the yard for fuel. This worked like crazy, but was such a project to set up and take down that I never repeated the effort.
Scott, I HATE Facebook. Hate it. But my wife said to join it so I can find a smoker and sell some of my stuff. I joined and stayed on for exactly one month. I found this WSM for sale on the FB Marketplace and scooped it up ASAP - the price was amazing; could not pass it up. I also sold a brand new Char-Broil offset that I had, just a horrible piece of junk, for $100 (retails for $120). So, the bottom line for me is that I only paid $20 for this 18" WSM. Three days ago I permanently deleted my FB account. If you are not a member, join for a month and check the Marketplace numerous times a day. You can also set up notifications and get alerts for when whatever you are looking for is posted.

PS - I would also check out OfferUp and Craigslist. The latter lost its luster and doesn't get as many replies as it used to. But beware of scammers. One of their new tricks is to contact you about the item you have for sale and then ask for your phone number to "prove you are a human being and not a scammer." They then send you a text called Google Voice which auto-generates a Google Voice Code. They want you to send the code back to them via text to "prove you are not a scammer." THAT'S the scam. That code should NEVER be given to ANYONE. If you do, they then have 100% access to your phone. So if you use a 2-step authorization for your bank, credit cards, shopping sites, etc., they can see your text messages just as easily as you can. DO NOT fall for this. Just delete them and block them ASAP.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome Ben! That's a great cooker, and a great price on that. The WSM is the best all-around smoker for the money, and I think the 18" is the sweet spot. I absolutely love mine. Can't wait to read about some of your cooks with it, especially with some of your background.

Welcome, you got a good WSM 18 is great for small or large items like a turkey.
Nice looking ribs, so now you broke the ice lets see you next cooks, we will also look at Trager cooks.

Welcome to the fun spot!
Ben, you will have a blast playing with your new toy, I love mine. Tons of support can be found on these pages, have a blast!

You got a heckuva bargain on your WSM.

I paid full price for mine, but it has been well worth it over many years of good cooking. And I know at least 3 folks who bought one after eating with us. Enjoy yours!

Back