Pork steak over direct heat ?

Lynn Dollar

TVWBB Emerald Member
I've got a 1.5" pork steak. Gonna put it on the 18 WSM at 300* , direct heat. At what temp is it done ?

Ooh, a story problem! Are you cooking the steak on an eastbound train traveling 90 MPH after leaving OkC at 4:15 PM? ;)

On page 132 of "Dr. BBQ's Big-Time Barbecue Cookbook", Ray Lampe says that a temp of 137F will kill the parasite that causes trichinosis and that he then considers the pork done and safe to eat (and modern pork is pretty safe already). Personally, I think it'll be fine if you take it off the fire at 140F, but I also don't mind pork that's a little pink.

Last edited:
That's a good point, although pork steak at 140 isn't THAT tough if it's sliced thinly across the grain. ;)

Lynn, if you grill pork chops that thick to a specific temperature, that would be a good starting point for the steak. I've always treated them like pork chops, anyway.

Well, this is what was puzzling me. A pork chop I would go to 150 maybe, but this is a slice of a pork butt. I plan on mopping it once I get to about 165 and then maybe finish in foil. IDK for sure, what I'll do.

I'm a little confused by your mention of direct heat. Are you going to take out the water pan, or are you going to remove the center section altogether and grill over the base?

IMO you could start mopping it at 140 (or earlier, if you like) and let it go to 155-160 without foiling and it'll be fine. IIRC, the temp scale for butt is 160 for slicing, 180 for chopping and 195+ for pulling so I personally wouldn't take a steak past 160. But in all honesty, I leave the thermometer in its holder and use the poke test for pork steaks because they're so forgiving.

Last edited:
Friend just made pork steaks from butt. It was covered with chinese sauce. So I am of little help. From observation I would recommend . Well not much. Pulled is my go to.

It turned out good, could've been better, parts of it was dry. But for my first time through I'm happy with it. I started mopping at 165. The mopping created a stall, the meat stayed at 165 to 175 for a long time. After mopping four or five times I let it get up to 185 and then wrapped in foil for 30 minutes. Never took a final temp.

I roughly followed what this fella does . Don't need a Chuds Pit, the WSM works just as good. It ran much hotter than I expected, 350+ and I had to shut the air way down, vents about 10% open, to keep it near 300*.

I used a full chimney of KBB, and then added a mixture of used lump and charcoal on top, I did not measure it out, just dumped it from my used coal bucket. I was surprised how hot the WSM ran , here's a chart from Thermoworks Smoke

pork steak may 26.png

Sorry I'm late to the party but I'll toss in my 2 cents. First, it looks great. I think the first time Dad let me monitor the cooking pork steaks was about 1953. I love pork steaks. I have grilled them just like Dad (dry), smoked them at 250° to 170-180 (tender chew), and my wife prefers them seared on the grill then finished with sauce on them at 250° for 2 hours in a sealed aluminum pan (fall off the bone). ,I've never done one that thick but it looks like about 2 hours at 300 works good.

I like Pork steaks a lot done them on a kettle indirect with a quick sear, on the WSM like you to about your picture of done, I have used a rub on them, S & P , and mopped Never thought of wrapping them which is a good idea. 1.5 inch is as big as i have done so far, but i will go bigger now.
we like to slice thin, lay on leaf lettuce, with rice and then add a spicy sauce, we use a Korean spicy bean paste thinned with sesame oil. they are so good.
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51ZPb9otpaL._SL1000_.jpg
Link for Gochujang .

g

That's a good point, although pork steak at 140 isn't THAT tough if it's sliced thinly across the grain. ;)

Lynn, if you grill pork chops that thick to a specific temperature, that would be a good starting point for the steak. I've always treated them like pork chops, anyway.
High temp pork steak is one of my favorite steaks to wat. Just SPOG and a cold beer on the side to wash it down is all I need!

I seem to remember having seen this a week or two ago:

Back