Performer's maiden voyage

Dan Godwin

TVWBB Member
Purchased a new to me performer tonight for $100 including a rotisserie. I had been waiting for a redhead performer or master touch to pop up in the area, but the deal was too good to pass up.

247c920923a4df6b0d9c84bcdcd03088.jpg

I didn't have any propane to use the gas assist, so I used the chimney that came with my 18" redhead my wife got me a few years ago.

I had a tri tip roast ready for cooking, so my wife seasoned it liberally with Montreal seasoning, as I continued cleaning and getting ready for the cook. On it went, with a chunk of cherry, and a few smaller bits of pear wood.

5febe649c06ee23e0901b35098d907d6.jpg

2aebafe5d2df00c62e768ebd110ab06a.jpg

A stray dog ventured into the yard, so I spent some time looking for his owner, so the tri-tip ended up cooking closer to 30 minutes, rather than the 25 I was shooting for. I took it off the performer, and let it rest for almost 20 minutes before finally carving. Everything was perfect!

65bf657a9bbac6889cfce17108b8d08d.jpg

Your plate:

82fb76a0c14ca6dd8b6b9b558850c36a.jpg

Can't wait to fire it up with the Kettle Pizza Pro kit (Thanks Chris and the other sponsors of the spring giveaway!) when it arrives. That was definitely motivation for getting this performer.

Dan;
Congratulations on your new acquisition! The Performer, in it's many guises, is just flat out the best grill out there! I certainly LOVE mine!

This is a terrific cook - I would love a plate of that goodness!

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

Beef looks perfect Dan. Nice job!

Oh yeah, great score on the Performer. $100?.....you can't beat that with a big stick!

Great score on the performer Dan! Looks like performers were the hot ticket last week on CL as I finally found mine after a year of searching. Great cook, and congrats on the kettle pizza!!
Tim

Awesome score on the Performer Dan! That's the same price I paid for mine on CL, but mine had no rotisserie. Congrats on the Kettle Pizza!

Other people on this forum have told me, that if you use the Kettle Pizza unit on a Performer, you must remove the rollers for the lid holder. To do Pizza, you need a temp of around 700 or over. This will melt the lid rollers I'm told.

Great score for sure and nice first cook. The performer is the best thing that ever happened to charcoal.

Man did you score a big one. The Performer is awesome and your cook was perfect, great job.

Great score on the performer Dan! Looks like performers were the hot ticket last week on CL as I finally found mine after a year of searching. Great cook, and congrats on the kettle pizza!!
Tim

Hah TRUTH! I found and picked one up last week as well!

Great looking score Dan and great looking cook as well!!

Dan - That tri-tip looks great. Awesome score and a great job breaking it in...

Regards,

John

Back