Not Really Carnitas Carnitas

Robert-R

TVWBB Diamond Member
Real Carnitas is pork butt simmered in lard. For lack of a better name.... we call these Carnitas, too.

Sprouts had pork butt for $.99/lb a while back. Smallest one was 10 lbs. Couldn't resist.

Pork butt went into the Dutch oven fat side down and topped with 1 1/2 seven oz. cans of chopped chipotles in adobo (could have used more).

milaqHA.jpg

And a large chopped onion.

0884Bbu.jpg

Three 7 oz. cans of sausa verde.

jz08ikD.jpg

And a beer - doesn't matter what beer. MGD works just fine.

bzq3GYE.jpg

Into a 350* oven.

YPV5ivq.jpg

Until the bone is easily removed and the meat is falling apart.

NcZoDRT.jpg

Shredded in the Dutch oven. Panned with juices and browned under the oven broiler. About 6 minutes at a time and turned over 5 - 6 times.

ZDi7Sf8.jpg

Should look like this when finished.

5oSBCBK.jpg

Time To Eat!!!!

cVXqG1J.jpg

¡Maldita sea! ... fue esto siempre bueno!

fwiw - these could have been cooked in the Dutch oven outside and used a ton of fuel.
However, I don't see the advantage in doing so.
I don't know how one could brown everything without using an oven broiler.

Last edited:
I don't much care what you call it, just pass me a plate full and a stack of torillas!!! Looks great!

R

That looks fantastic Robert. I agree if there is no advantage to cooking over coals why waste the fuel.

Hey Robert.... You had me at " topped with 1 1/2 seven oz. cans of chopped chipotles in adobo (could have used more)" Great looking cook and plate. I'd like to give that a try outside. I've got two camp dutch ovens that don't get used often enough.

Hey Robert.... You had me at " topped with 1 1/2 seven oz. cans of chopped chipotles in adobo (could have used more)" Great looking cook and plate. I'd like to give that a try outside. I've got two camp dutch ovens that don't get used often enough.

I'm sure you could do it outdoors in a dutch oven. This took over 6 hours @ 350*. Maybe longer... wasn't keeping track of time. A smaller piece of meat would speed things up. & cook at 400*. Still would use a lot of fuel. Your house wouldn't have the same great smell, though.

Do you have any ideas regards how to brown the meat in a grill?

Your house wouldn't have the same great smell, though.

Yeah, that's the only negative thing about grilling/smoking. I just do my smelling outside! :D

Do you have any ideas regards how to brown the meat in a grill?

For the browning portion of the cook I'm thinking I would increase the coals on the lid of my 14" camp dutch oven to around 24-26 coals, reducing the heat beneath. Kind of switch the DO from bake mode to broil mode. As you mentioned, I'd have to turn the shredded meat over several times and possibly do a couple of batches. I don't know exactly. Still mulling it over. Right now I'm just dodging rocks from the weedeater and keeping watch out for the snakes!

Robert, this is THE BEST looking notreallycarnitas carnitas I've ever seen!
Lots a work, well worth it!
Very Nice!!

For the browning portion of the cook I'm thinking I would increase the coals on the lid of my 14" camp dutch oven to around 24-26 coals, reducing the heat beneath. Kind of switch the DO from bake mode to broil mode. As you mentioned, I'd have to turn the shredded meat over several times and possibly do a couple of batches. I don't know exactly. Still mulling it over. Right now I'm just dodging rocks from the weedeater and keeping watch out for the snakes!

This should work, but you might need to use some metal skewers to elevate the lid slightly so the steam could escape. Or, you could flip the lid over (easier if you have a lid holder) with some coals underneath and fry it in small batches.

This looks like it would be a perfect candidate for pit cooking (that is, putting the DO in a pit with coals under and over, then covering with dirt; NOT BBQ pit cooking, although I think you could do that as well). Sort of like this: http://www.camping-tips.com/Pit_Barbq.html

That looks tasty! I'm gonna have to give that a try! I'm wondering if the smokiness of the chilles you used were enough, or if there would be any benefit to doing the initial cook on the smoker, then finish it in the oven like you did?

Looks great as usual Robert. We've got pork picnics on for $1 a pound here - would that be too lean for this ?

That looks tasty! I'm gonna have to give that a try! I'm wondering if the smokiness of the chilles you used were enough, or if there would be any benefit to doing the initial cook on the smoker, then finish it in the oven like you did?
I would think that smoking the pork for a while would be good. Been meaning to try that.

Back