Norma's Meatloaf

Bill Schultz

TVWBB Hall of Fame
Waxing a little nostalgic today, it was two years ago today we lost our Mom. Lot's of text messaging and phone calls between our family etc.. After losing the love of her life in a tragic accident at sea she raised eight kids, no money, a lot of heartache. But she did it and all eight of her kids still live within half an hour of each other.
Anyhow, she had a dish she would treat us with once in awhile, I was always amazed about how she made this as a kid. Thought she knew some kind of magic. Of course as she would expect from me I took some liberties with the sauce but otherwise the same.

All the ingredients lined up, 1lbs Venison chopped meat, I cut a pound and a half out of the package of Veal Pork Beef mix. Saltines and half a cup of seasoned bread crumbs, a little Worcestershire, one whole white onion, Kosher and fresh ground, couple of cloves of diced garlic, a cup of milk

DSC03720_zps4b0fiyr0.jpg

Four soft boiled eggs then covered with the other half of the meat mix

DSC03721_zpsz24im3ky.jpg

DSC03723_zps7augchhw.jpg

Made a sauce with Weber's best and half a can of tomato paste

DSC03725_zpsascuz125.jpg

DSC03726_zpsnjp0dxyq.jpg

On the Genny for an hour at 350 or so

DSC03731_zpsru0izuvb.jpg

Garlic mashed would be the standard accompaniment

DSC03732_zps5wy35lfs.jpg

Came out real nice

DSC03733_zpsgiq3qvvz.jpg

The plate

DSC03735_zpsjexl6pcw.jpg

Now that I am older and wiser I realize that the magic wasn't in getting eggs inside a meatloaf, it was in the gentle strong hands that kept a family together through tough times and gave us special memories that will be with us for ever.

Cheers Mom, I am having a cocktail in your honor right now. Bourbon with none of that ice you thought wasted space in the glass

Last edited:
Very heartfelt, moving story Bill. Thank you for sharing. Lost my Dad just 3 years ago and know too well the emotion you are feeling tonight. All I will say about this cook is that your Mom would've been proud!

Looks like mom's meatloaf is amazing, she'd be proud. Godspeed Norma Schultz

I would never imagine those two tastes together in a meatloaf, so you know I'm gonna have to try your moms recipe!! I lost my dad almost 18 years ago, and I still miss him greatly. A great post indeed, thanks for sharing.
Tim

A story well told Bill, as others have shared I lost my Mom when I was twelve years old and my Dad over thirty years ago. So all I have are the fading memories. I still make my moms pot roast frequently with a few little tweaks, it brings a smile to my face when I do. Yours moms wonderful meatloaf and the memories are something you will always cherish.

It's amazing how food seems to be the "tie that binds" and helps us restore those faded memories and bring those we love back into our lives once again. Nice story Bill.

Wonderful story about your Mom and her meatloaf. Memories are very important for everyone to hold on to and be able to look back on. I lost my Mom 7 years ago at 98, but I can still remember some things she cooked when I was small. Awesome job Bill and you did Mrs. Schultz proud.

Great meatloaf, well done Mum!

It was my Mum's birthday yesterday, we lost her in '98. Raised 5 kids on not much. I raised a glass or two last night. Nice story Bill.

Touching story about your Mom Bill. Nobody makes meatloaf as good as our Mom did. Interesting concept with the eggs. May have to try that

Back