New Weber pellet grills for 2020

News from a reliable source:

Shortly after SmokeFire launch, Weber will offer new work table accessories:

• A left-side work table that fits both EX4 and EX6
  • A one-piece front work table for EX4
  • A two-piece work table for EX6.
All of these work tables will fold down.

News from a reliable source:

Shortly after SmokeFire launch, Weber will offer new work table accessories:

• A left-side work table that fits both EX4 and EX6
  • A one-piece front work table for EX4
  • A two-piece work table for EX6.
All of these work tables will fold down.

Good to hear. I wonder what the pricing on these will be.

I use the hopper lid for a left shelf and my Camp Chef has a fixed right side shelf. Both get lots of use. With the hopper in the rear I would think it's useful as a shelf although not as convenient as my hopper lid. Can you have too much shelf space? :blackperformer:

Yah, I think Weber probably left them off the base grill for a couple reasons. Instead of have a SmokeFire and a SmokeFire Premium they keep the advertised cost down and second, they will make lots of money selling addons and accessories for these grills.

Yah, I think Weber probably left them off the base grill for a couple reasons. Instead of have a SmokeFire and a SmokeFire Premium they keep the advertised cost down and second, they will make lots of money selling addons and accessories for these grills.

Exactl! I like the idea of adding things you may need and not adding something you wouldn’t want to pay extra for.

They're going to make LOTS of money off the base as well. Most likely it's made in China, they're selling an item for about a grand to $1500 that MAYBE costs them $350. Now if the unit is made here I might adjust my thinking but I doubt it's made here. Might be assembled (packaged) here but that's about it

I don't know what the actual cost of producing the grill is or where it's made, assembled Etc. But it is so different from all the others the R&D had to be very extensive and that isn't free and I'm sure that's factored into the price of the grill. Time will tell if they have it priced right.

I don't know what the actual cost of producing the grill is or where it's made, assembled Etc. But it is so different from all the others the R&D had to be very extensive and that isn't free and I'm sure that's factored into the price of the grill. Time will tell if they have it priced right.

Yes, time spent in the research and development is not cheap. If the unit is made well enough, I really don’t much care where it’s been built, especially if it WORKS!
And yes again, they will make wads of money on accessories. Why shouldn’t they? We have all been buying accessories for our grills (or making them) since day one, there is always something which will enhance our grilling enjoyment, good for us, good for the company to see the shortfall in workspace and be prepared to help with that.
The original kettle was just that and we all loved it, then they made a side table which morphed into the performer, some of this progress should be expected. Gee whiz.
I really think that Chris should be given one! He would give is usual “fair and HONEST” review.

They also don't sell their grills at retail price. Well I guess some of them they do if you purchase directly from Weber. But majority of them are sold at wholesale pricing to their dealers who then sell them at retail price. And like mentioned above, R&D is not cheap.

They're going to make LOTS of money off the base as well. Most likely it's made in China, they're selling an item for about a grand to $1500 that MAYBE costs them $350. Now if the unit is made here I might adjust my thinking but I doubt it's made here. Might be assembled (packaged) here but that's about it

from the Weber site, "SmokeFire grills are made in the USA, incorporating globally sourced component parts."

Still better than most of the competitors that are fully made in China.

from the Weber site, "SmokeFire grills are made in the USA, incorporating globally sourced component parts."

Still better than most of the competitors that are fully made in China.

Yea if they can roll steel for the WSM's in Huntley IL why shouldn't they do the same for the smokefire.
Maybe the lectronics they outsourced?

Tim

Maybe the lectronics they outsourced?

This is purely speculation but I haven't submitted a reply to this 54-page thread in quite a while, lol. There's possibly not enough labor nor volume of the controller that outsourcing it to China is more profitable than having a US based contract manufacturer produce it given the tariff+freight+duty fees. As for Taiwan, I cannot speak to.

Some of you may know, as I've mentioned in other threads, that my best friend from college owns and uses a Traeger. I was unable to convince him to get a WSM, although he does own a Genesis Silver gas grill.

Had dinner with him last night and he's very excited about this new Weber pellet grill. His big thing was the new auger design. He's had several auger fires and thinks Weber's new vertical auger with the chute that drops pellets down into the firepot will be a big improvement. As for the price point, he had no issue with it and thinks it's lower than comparable Traeger models.

Just one data point...

His big thing was the new auger design. He's had several auger fires and thinks Weber's new vertical auger with the chute that drops pellets down into the firepot will be a big improvement.
I'm sure this was a big "Why didn't we think of that?" moment for a lot of pellet grill makers.

Some of you may know, as I've mentioned in other threads, that my best friend from college owns and uses a Traeger. I was unable to convince him to get a WSM, although he does own a Genesis Silver gas grill.

Had dinner with him last night and he's very excited about this new Weber pellet grill. His big thing was the new auger design. He's had several auger fires and thinks Weber's new vertical auger with the chute that drops pellets down into the firepot will be a big improvement. As for the price point, he had no issue with it and thinks it's lower than comparable Traeger models.

Just one data point...

I think Weber is pricing vary fairly, maybe even aggressively. Sure, you can buy a cheaper pellet grill but there will be some real compromises. Among the more respected name makers and comparable pellet grills, the SmokeFire is a good deal. Of course for some of us that is not easy $ to come by. Those of us who enjoy rescuing trashed old Genesis grills for little or nothing need to be fair and compare this in price to a NEW Genesis, or Napoleon or maybe Broil King. I think in that comparison you are getting decent value for your money.

I think Weber is pricing vary fairly, maybe even aggressively. Sure, you can buy a cheaper pellet grill but there will be some real compromises. Among the more respected name makers and comparable pellet grills, the SmokeFire is a good deal. Of course for some of us that is not easy $ to come by. Those of us who enjoy rescuing trashed old Genesis grills for little or nothing need to be fair and compare this in price to a NEW Genesis, or Napoleon or maybe Broil King. I think in that comparison you are getting decent value for your money.

I compare this to the Traeger Ironwood. It is less expensive, looks to have a better design, Has a better warranty, and if I know anything about Weber, this will be a much more solid and well built unit (appears to weight about 30 pounds more).

I love all things Weber and I believe that the SmokeFire will be a quality product. With that said at my age and health conditions a $1000+ investment isn't going to fly, just doesn't make sense. I will get a pellet grill so I can do some hopefully less stressful Q but something a little less pricy will get me by. For those of you who have jumped on the SmokeFire I'm looking forward with envy as to what you think of Weber's new flagship.

We certainly want Weber to enjoy continued success and be profitable!
Absolutely!
This could be a real game-changer for the market and a big win for Weber. A large market created, a on-going revenue stream, (pellets) and with our help enough publicity to make this the thing to have. The standard, de rigueur bbq go-to.

What say this eats into the wsm sales? Course if you do not your competition will. Glad to see Weber not trapped by protecting their old market, and really pursuing what is forward.
Will this eat into wsm? Kettle? No way. Grills not much.

Back