New Weber pellet grills for 2020

Well that looks awesome and the price is right at what I would have hoped. I’ll be ordering an EX6 as soon as I can.

My only concern is it looks like traeger has a pan you can line with foil for easy clean up, how does the grease get into the grease tray?
I’m also wondering how hot the ash is and wether it would be an issue being in the same location as the grease.

Weber has cooking space by square inch, I want to know length and width in inches. That tells me more about fitting meats on the grill.

Yah, I think the quote Sq Inch of cook space is for both upper and lower rack. The 1008 sq Inches quoted for the EX6 is pretty impressive, but like Genesis grills, most people just cook on the main grate which is significantly less than the rated size.

I have a feeling that Weber is going to sell a lot more of the EX6 version than the EX4 version. With the price range of these things, I think most people will opt for the larger grill for the extra $200. Kind of like the two burner vs three burner Genesis/Spirit grills.

I have to admit, I am much more accepting of these pellet grills than I was a year ago, but I am still not in the market for one. Especially at the price for new ones. But, I could see it happening at some point down the road....maybe when they start hitting CL and FB Marketplace? LOL

I agree with you Bruce, it’s intriguing but, I can’t justify the expense yet. It is really cool and the concept is seriously taking hold. My brother got a Traeger a year ago and he loves it, I have not had any feasts from it. He’s had health issues so, I can’t complain much.

Does make you wonder if they are trying to make some room for the pellet grill. There are people around me trying to get that much for a used one of those. I think I would rather have the smaller three burner with the extra sear burner, but that is a really good price.

The Genesis II SE-410 was discontinued for 2019. Since that was a whole year ago that is why you're seeing them on clearance now. MAP was probably not reduced until recently. You won't see any of the current gassers advertised at a discount.

"SmokeFire's body is enamel coated steel with double walled sides. The cooking grates are plated steel."

That sounds more like the Summit steel cookbox than the aluminum Genesis. I wonder if it will have the same corrosion issues that the later summit's did?

Also, I can see the "plated steel" grates as being less than ideal. I guess one question that really won't be answered for several years at least is how well they hold up.

My guess is these won't really hit the retail market until 2020 from everything I have read so far. And if I was considering one, I would wait at least six months as they indicate that there are a couple features that are not ready for the early 2020 launch that will be incorporated later in the year.

this looks promissing. i would only buy it if i could replace my performer and WSM, and the only hold back i would have is searing and high heat grilling:

foqlzXs.jpg

I noticed that the review had no reviews of actual cooks. I am very happy with my sidewinder Genesis and probably will just invest in the Camp Chef I was considering only for smoking. Besides, my parents always told me never to buy anything the first year it is out. Too many bugs.... I will be interesting to see how the Weber performs once it hits the streets.

Yah, I think the quote Sq Inch of cook space is for both upper and lower rack. The 1008 sq Inches quoted for the EX6 is pretty impressive, but like Genesis grills, most people just cook on the main grate which is significantly less than the rated size.

I have a feeling that Weber is going to sell a lot more of the EX6 version than the EX4 version. With the price range of these things, I think most people will opt for the larger grill for the extra $200. Kind of like the two burner vs three burner Genesis/Spirit grills.

I have to admit, I am much more accepting of these pellet grills than I was a year ago, but I am still not in the market for one. Especially at the price for new ones. But, I could see it happening at some point down the road....maybe when they start hitting CL and FB Marketplace? LOL

One difference here is that the upper "grate" on a Genesis is really just a little place to put food you don't want burned. In this SmokeFire (and Traeger's similar setup pellet grills) the second shelf is a real shelf and should work just as good for a lot more low and slow BBQ. The upper one, of course, wouldn't work for high heat searing of burgers, steaks, etc.

this looks promissing. i would only buy it if i could replace my performer and WSM, and the only hold back i would have is searing and high heat grilling:

foqlzXs.jpg

My Rec Tec definitely can't deliver that. So, Weber looks like it has done something other pellet grill makers haven't been able to do so far. Could well be the "game changer" we have been hoping Weber's late entry would turn out to be. I just hope the hinges, hardware, etc. are up to par.

For me right now, I love my Rec Tec for low and slow BBQ. I plan to keep on using my gas grills, CharQ or Green Egg for high heat grilling.

For someone shopping for a one grill solution, this has to be on the top of their list to check out.

Last edited:
Hefty price tag and not so great warranty. Only 3 to 5 years. Most gassers now get 10 years and so do the kettles on bowl and lid. Why only 5 years on the cookbox of a grill which costs more than $1,000? Yes the porcelain enamel on the kettles normally holds up well. But it did not on the older Summits with the enameled cook box.
Not for me. I can buy a lot of charcoal and gas for this price.

There is only one great unknown left for me now ..... how many Weber gassers, wsm's,
kettles, and other pellet grills will hit the resale market cheap enough for me to buy and flip as
a result of the release of the SmokeFire?

There is only one great unknown left for me now ..... how many Weber gassers, wsm's,
kettles, and other pellet grills will hit the resale market cheap enough for me to buy and flip as
a result of the release of the SmokeFire?

Dave,

Next year will tell, I suppose. It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Let's see how they will hold up over the next years. I have not bought a new grill in many years and don't intend to anytime soon.

Sorry nearly $1000 and they could not justify quality cooking grates? They would lose me right there. Another oddball thing. I see so many people who complained about no shelf space on older Genesis grills this one is basically no shelf space

Wonder if you need to remove the heat distribution plate for the searing flames shown in Jon's image, I've seen other grills that call for similar.

Back