New Weber pellet grills for 2020

In that vid from BBM , they had a brisket on a ex4 and it looked like a tight fit , to me. The ex4 has an 18" X 24" cooking grate. It would also be hard to lay ribs across the grate, they would have to length wise, probably get three racks lenthwise.

Just depends upon how many ya cook for , or if you want to make cooks cost effective and get as meat per pellets used as possible.

I'm caught in that dilemma, although I have no problem getting a 15 pound brisket on my 18.5 WSM so 24"X 18" would be fine. With just the two of us I would most likely be heating a lot of air space with the bigger one. Ribs I've never done more than 3 racks at once and very seldom does that happen.

I probably should get an EX4, just like I probably should have gotten a WSM 18. The EX6 will be hanging out with my WSM 22.

I’m very happy with the price after the charcoal summit shock, I’m ready for spring!

I probably should get an EX4, just like I probably should have gotten a WSM 18. The EX6 will be hanging out with my WSM 22.

I’m very happy with the price after the charcoal summit shock, I’m ready for spring!

That's funny one of my friends whos an old fart like me wanted a WSM and it's basically just him and his wife. I told him an 18.5 would be perfect for them. But he's a bigger is better guy and got a 22.5 WSM. After a couple of months he asked if I wanted to trade his 22.5 for my 18.5. I told him no way. He sold it and bought an 18.5. after he used it for awhile he commented how much less fuel the 18.5 uses compared to the 22.5 I was shocked. We are at 5700 ft. and you do consume more fuel up here but according to him he said he's using less than half of what the 22.5 used.
I didn't tell him that my 14.5 mini sips charcoal, I can fill the charcoal grate and smoke a good sized pork butt for 5-6 hours and shut it down and the next morning I put 3/4 of the unburned coals back in the bag.
Yeah that charcoal summit is a pricy puppy, but I'd love to have one.

Last edited:
So BBM says about 17 people were invited to the introduction and Chris Allingham was not one of them??? Chris has done more than any other third party to promote the Weber brand. Weber messed up.

I want one. But I think I want it only because of gear envy. I have a WSM 22 with a Stoker, a built in charcoal grill, and an almost finished restored Genesis 1000. There isn't anything I could cook on a Smokefire that I couldn't cook just as well or better on those three cookers. Then, there is the issue of where to put it. I can't justify buying a pellet pooper, not even one that can hit 600 like the Weber.

... after he used it for awhile he commented how much less fuel the 18.5 uses compared to the 22.5 I was shocked. We are at 5700 ft. and you do consume more fuel up here but according to him he said he's using less than half of what the 22.5 used.
I didn't tell him that my 14.5 mini sips charcoal, I can fill the charcoal grate and smoke a good sized pork butt for 5-6 hours and shut it down and the next morning I put 3/4 of the unburned coals back in the bag.
Yeah that charcoal summit is a pricy puppy, but I'd love to have one.

I'm convinced that all or nearly all 22s leak like sieves new from the factory. Once I sealed mine up with gaskets, my charcoal use was cut in half. I still have an old 18 sitting on the side of the house that hasn't been used in 10 years since I got the 22. I should fire it up and do a fuel comparison. I'm sure a well-sealed 22 will use more fuel than an 18, but I suspect it's not that much more.

As for the Summit Charcoal, it seems like Weber should give it a major price cut. It was never what I would call a good value, but now with the price point of the Smokefire, the Summit Charcoal seems to be a very poor value.

So BBM says about 17 people were invited to the introduction and Chris Allingham was not one of them??? Chris has done more than any other third party to promote the Weber brand. Weber messed up.

It's kind of you to say that, I was not invited. Now, had this been a pellet-fueled WSM event and I wasn't invited...well, that would be all kinds of wrong! :D

The big question for me is whether the larger EX6 can sear steaks across that 50% larger surface area just like the EX4. Are there changes in the EX6 like the size of the firepot, a larger fan, or changes to the software algorithm that run the whole thing? There's some indication in the Amazing Ribs preview article that the EX4 did not sear evenly across the entire grate surface, that steaks would need to be moved in and out of the cooler zone into the hotter zone to sear all steaks. Just wondering if this cool/hot zone effect in the EX6 is even more pronounced.

Update: Now having watched the video where Kevin Kolman arranged 7 strip steaks on what I think is the EX4, three on the left, three on the right, and one in the center, and he turns them all to reveal that each is seared almost exactly the same...that's pretty impressive. But can it be done on the EX6?

That's an interesting question Chris, I would think there has to be some differences for the EX6 to hit 600 degrees it's going to need something more than the EX4.
My thoughts as long as I can get a 15 pound brisket on it with anything else we would do it would be big enough for Barb and I. With a 24 X 18 grate the EX4 will work for us.
No more stuffing that big chunk of beef into the 18.5 WSM.

I'm convinced that all or nearly all 22s leak like sieves new from the factory. Once I sealed mine up with gaskets, my charcoal use was cut in half. I still have an old 18 sitting on the side of the house that hasn't been used in 10 years since I got the 22. I should fire it up and do a fuel comparison. I'm sure a well-sealed 22 will use more fuel than an 18, but I suspect it's not that much more.

As for the Summit Charcoal, it seems like Weber should give it a major price cut. It was never what I would call a good value, but now with the price point of the Smokefire, the Summit Charcoal seems to be a very poor value.
I sealed the lid and door of my 22 as well and it’s a different cooker now, pretty solid around 235-240.

I’m just a geek who loves the idea of using technology to manage cooks.

"Just another reason I wont buy a Nissan or Toyota. Guess that I am too old school. "

Well then you're the one missing out on good product(s). Not in the case of Nissan which is now a conglomerate of Renault, Mitsu****ti and Nissan. Yes they ARE junque. Same goes for all the Fix It Again Tony stuff. But products from Honda and Toyota are the best of the best. I used to be one of those "no foreign crap in my driveway kinds" but now there is nothing but Toyota products and Honda products in my drive and garage.
2 Toyota Highlanders (wife and I)
1 Toyota Avalon (daughter) formerly Lexus
1 Honda snow blower
1 Honda lawn mower
1 Honda tractor
1 Highlander made in Japan, 1 in South Bend IN
Snow blower made in Japan
lawn tractor made in Japan
lawn mower made in USA
When I was in car rental I used to get these people saying they wanted "Made in USA" so I would offer a Camry. "I don't want no foreign crap" "Gimme that Buick" Sure sir but you do know that Buick is made in China right?" Then they'd bluster and stuff until I showed them for proof the point of mfgr. They'd always take the Camry LOL. Them come back raving about how they didn't know a Toyota was so nice.
In the automotive world today American names are just that "names" they typically come from Mexico and China. very few are made here anymore. Oddly though, Kia, Hyundai, Toyota, Honda and many more are making their stuff right here.

As far as these brands, I've seen Fords & Chevy's run just as long. I have 2 Honda generators & a Yamaha 4-wheeler but I don't BS myself that they were manufactured here because somebody put the wheels & handlebars on them. I back brands that are made in this country when ever I can. And I dont see Honda, Nissan or Toyota names on this grill. So that's kind of a ridiculous comparison. If Kia, Hyundai & Toyota are manufactured here in the USA then where are there foundering plants in this country? Have NOT heard of ONE! Now if shipping parts over here in crates & assembling then in a assembly line then is your cup of tea that's fine. But it surely is NOT mine. USA #1 every time.

Before I bought a pellet pooper, I'd sure like to cook on one just to satisfy myself.

Right now, I've got 26 fired up with three racks of baby backs and hickory chunks. It smells great on my patio. I wonder if a pellet pooper would be the same and I won't know until I do it myself.

I'm also not sure about rushing in and being the first to own these, let somebody else work out the bugs.

I have rewards card with Ace Hardware, some times I get an email from them offering 15% off any item in the store over a certain price point. It would be best to wait till I got that deal. And also , I'd like to go in the store and see it and feel it. I was in Ace today and looked at that Traeger Ironwood line, and those have thicker metal, but dayuum, they're priced for it too .

I suppose if I had the money and the need, I would jump at one of these, but I have neither. I also wouldn't want to buy one of the first ones. Not only is there likely to be bugs or glitches, especially with the electronics, but there is likely to be some design flaws that won't become evident for at least two or three years, similar to the rust problems on the E3xx series Genesis cabinet grills or the corrosion problem on the cook box on the Summits. But, I have a feeling, they will sell a lot of these new Weber SmokeFire's over the next 9 months or so.

I wish I could wait a year and let them work out the kinks but I am in need of a smoker and don’t want to wait a year. Fingers crossed that there aren’t any significant issues.

As far as the price being cheaper it says right on the site "parts sourced from other countries". You know like China or wherever. Shipped the parts over to the USA, some flunkie assembles 2 or 3 parts together and I am supposed to believe that's its manufactured in the USA. LMAO. Assembling a few parts together is not manufacturing. Just another reason I wont buy a Nissan or Toyota. Guess that I am too old school.

The price is good, especially by you in US :) See the price in Europe - by us in Czech will cost SmokeFire FX6 38K CZK - it is 1.645,- USD - see price of Smokefire 6.
You have nothing to complain about :)

Yes, both were there. I saw Maribel in some of the photos. Well deserved, they got their start here on the forum and have worked hard to build their IG feed to what it is today.

Chris, this sounds like a statement on IG and YouTube and social media. Weber wants to reach the larger audience and that's where its at.

I gotta say though, that YouTube and barbecue go together well.

Food **** is suppose to fit well on IG, but just me, I don't see the attraction or else I've never taken the time to figure out how to properly navigate IG.

The price is good, especially by you in US :) See the price in Europe - by us in Czech will cost SmokeFire FX6 38K CZK - it is 1.645,- USD - see price of Smokefire 6.
You have nothing to complain about :)

Complaining is built into the price.
t0sG1c6.jpg

Back