Looking for Pork Butt ideas?

Tom Raveret

TVWBB Pro
I picked up a few 9 lb Butts today (Fresh Thyme .99/lb until Tuesday) and will smoke 4-6 of them in the 22 this week. "A Butt Rub for Jane" has been my goto for years but what rubs are you using on you pork shoulders? Thinking I should try something new or see whats others are using.

I prefer mixing my own batch from a recipe for freshness but am open to a commercial rub if there is something out there that has produced a great result for you I'd be really appreciative of your ideas!

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
I use commercial rubs, 3 of them actually on my pork butts.

I cover my counter with cling wrap, two sections that overlap by about 4 inches and are about 3' long. Place the butt about 6" from an end and centered.

First dusting is Heath Riles Garlic butter, hit all surfaces, rolling it along as you season.
Second dusting is Malcolm Reed's AP seasoning, same process as above.
Third dusting is Malcolm Reed's The BBQ Rub, fairly heavy coating

Wrap the butt tight in the cling wrap (the spilled seasonings are now against the meat and cleanup is a breeze) and place in the fridge to fester 12-24 hours.

I place the butt cold and straight on my pellet smoker at 180F. Allegedly helps enhance the smoke flavor from these machines.

Hard to go wrong with a pork butt!

One of these days I'm gonna do this.

I just used the Southern Succor recipe from the website and it worked great:

Southern Succor Rub

• 1/4 cup ground black pepper
  • 1/4 cup paprika
  • 1/4 cup Turbinado sugar
  • 2 Tablespoons table salt
  • 2 teaspoons dry mustard
  • 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper

I think the rub is the easy part.
I normally just conjure up one of my own but I have been known to use a rub that has an ingredient that I wouldn’t normally stock like powdered honey or powdered cherry cola.

I dig making different dishes with the butt to change things up.
Chile verde or Colorado are favorites of mine as well as carnitas.

We keep several bags filled with different burritos in our freezer
One bag will have some kind of pork shoulder item in it.

I’m a fan of Mexican cuisine and they have great ideas on how to use pork.
Might want to include some of those in your quest.

I picked up a few 9 lb Butts today (Fresh Thyme .99/lb until Tuesday) and will smoke 4-6 of them in the 22 this week. "A Butt Rub for Jane" has been my goto for years but what rubs are you using on you pork shoulders? Thinking I should try something new or see whats others are using.

I prefer mixing my own batch from a recipe for freshness but am open to a commercial rub if there is something out there that has produced a great result for you I'd be really appreciative of your ideas!

Thanks
I'm confused, what are you looking for? Homemade rubs or store bought rubs?

I'm confused, what are you looking for? Homemade rubs or store bought rubs?
I think I want to go with a homemade rub. I’ve used “A Butt rub for Jane” quite a few times over the years with good results but was just looking to see what others were using.

I don’t cook as much as I used to so just fishing for ideas.

If there was a rockstar commercial rub that people were clamoring about I might try that possibly on one or two.

Not cooking until next wed or Thursday night so still mulling over ideas.

I was just given several New Mexico powdered pepoers , some Namibe, some Dixon hot and some hatch medium I will likely incorporate a rub on some of these ( I have 5 butts so I may try a couple of different rubs

Last edited:
I just used the Southern Succor recipe from the website and it worked great:

Southern Succor Rub

• 1/4 cup ground black pepper
  • 1/4 cup paprika
  • 1/4 cup Turbinado sugar
  • 2 Tablespoons table salt
  • 2 teaspoons dry mustard
  • 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Renowned Mr brown was the first Rubi used on butts but it’s too much of a black pepper bomb for me now

I almost 100% of the time I now move to a Mexican inspired rub and use it heavily and then turn to making Carnitas out of it......
Every single guest has a great experience once they try it....I also braise the butt in lard once I have achieved desired bark.
Makes for juicier and more plump pieces of pulled meat. I have posted threads about it if you were inclined to do so.

Last edited:
keep it simple, rub down trimmed Butt with mustard.then coat with a even coat of salt, pepper, and Paprika. let is sit at room temp while you prep your cooker, can be prepared the night before.
simple season goes with any sauce, or Cole slaw, without over powering the other.

If I were using a premixed available rub I'd use Bad Byron's Butt Rub
byrons.PNG

Honey mustard slather as a binder, then dust liberally with the dry rub and good to go.

I've moved on to my own dry rub concoction, but this is a great fall back, imo.

I avoid using premade rubs due to the salt.
I am sensitive to salt .
I like salt a lot but I want to be in control of my salt intake as much as possible.
It’s just so easy to double or triple salt when using store bought seasonings.
Salt is one of main ingredients in all premade seasonings maybe that is because it is also a cheap filler for making seasonings.
I dunno.
I do know that with premade seasonings using some of this, some of that and a little of this to top it off is a sure fire recipe for triple salting.
I normally just salt once at the beginning of a pork butt cook and maybe a bit more after it’s done when I taste it.

Back